what the hell am i going to do in Chicago?

OK, I'm coming from toronto to go to the pitchfork music fest... i'll be staying 4 days...

I need other things to do in addition to pitchfork fest... i noticed that autumn defence is playing Marty's on Friday night... is this an advance ticket thing, or can i just show up and pay at the door?

Does anyone know if the pitch fest has in/out privaliges. or once i go in i have to stay?

What else can i do with my time?

i'm staying half way between the airport (o'hare) and 'downtown' cause i'm cheap, so i'll probley have to take the subway (or a train of some sort) if i want to go anywhere.

suggestions?

this city better be worth the 9 hour drive :hmm

thanks vc

OH please....you aren't interested what we have to say about Wilco or anything else. We don't make people feel unwelcome. If you want tourist info, go to a travel site. If you want Wilco info this is the place to be. If you are a regular here who is coming for a visit, I will be happy to tell you all kinds of cool shit to do, but you are so full of shit you don't need me to tell you about shit anyway.

Give us a break or take ScottHoward's suggestions to heart and try your luck. That was not only the lamest first post ever, but also the lamest second one as well. Chicago is a big city, you like music we will tell you the music things to do, art?? We have great museums, Restaurants, great food, theater, 150 companies to choose from. Go online and find the Chicago Reader and then go buy a fucking guide book.

LouieB

I am not sure why you are quoting me from that last thread where the guy gave NO indication of what he was going. This is pretty rude. This individual on the other hand gave LOTS of information about himself and what he was looking for and certainly is deserving of some attention.

Marah is playing Friday at Schuba's, if you don't want to see AD and HWB. Both shows will be great though I think.

Chicago is certianly worth coming to. It is a bit of a haul from O'hare to Union Park, but you can certainly make with a change or two on public trans. It may be just as easy to drive down and park if you are coming early. Or you can change trains at Clark and Lake and switch to the Lake St. el to go west (The blue line is downstairs so you have to get the el upstairs to go west.)

Interested in other stuff? Let me know.

Why are there no in and out privledges?? That seems weird.

LouieB

Thanks Louie,

I'm just looking for any info really, Obviously i can look online for Chicago guides and all that shit. But I figured i'd post and find out non-touristy places, like good priced used clothes stores (equivalant to Toronto's Kensington Market) or good vegetarian resataurants, coffee shops (no fucking starbucks!), cheap movie theaters etc... whatever

"OH please....you aren't interested what we have to say about Wilco or anything else."

Who the hell are Wilco?

Edited by i for barton
I'm just looking for any info really, Obviously i can look online for Chicago guides and all that shit. But I figured i'd post and find out non-touristy places, like good priced used clothes stores (equivalant to Toronto's Kensington Market) or good vegetarian resataurants, coffee shops (no fucking starbucks!), cheap movie theaters etc... whatever

Vegetarian restaurants...

You can eat well at any number of not-exclusively-vegetarian places in Chicago, including many Indian places up on Devon (Louie's area) or another favorite of mine, Moti Mahal on Belmont a couple blocks west of the el station. There are also plenty of Middle Eastern restaurants that are veg-friendly. I always liked Old Jerusalem on Wells, but there are probably better ones.

You might want to try Mama Desta's Red Sea Restaurant on Clark just north of Belmont. Ethiopian food ... they do serve meat, but even as a carnivore, I like their vegetarian offerings better.

For an odd experience, try Amitabul -- Korean vegan cuisine. It's a bit far north (6207 N. Milwaukee Avenue) but it's a dining experience you won't forget. (Disclaimer: I can't say I've enjoyed every meal I've had there, but the best of them were absolutely terrific.) They used to be much more accessible (on Southport, I believe), and I haven't been to the new location yet.

I've never been to this place, but my vegetarian girlfriend and I plan to go next time we're in town: Chicago Diner.

In and Out burger is overated

Whats that place called where assholes throw

rolls at ya?

Edited by oceanman
Thanks Louie,

"OH please....you aren't interested what we have to say about Wilco or anything else."

Who the hell are Wilco?

First off, Gershon was quoting from a thread where someguy asked a one sentence, what do I HAVE to do in Chicago??. It wasn't you and that was NOT my reply to you, so ignore that bullshit. Cleary you are coming for a reason and asked all kinds of great questions. I reply to people all the time about stuff do do, just not one person who didn't tell us anything about himself or why he was coming or what his interests were. It is pretty hard to go on that. You on the other hand were pretty specific, so see my comments and ask other questions.

LouieB

I've never been to this place, but my vegetarian girlfriend and I plan to go next time we're in town: Chicago Diner.
I have not been in years, but it is pretty good. I like Blind Faith (strictly veggie) in Evanston alot and the Heartland Cafe, though not strictly veggie can be good. Frankly most places in Chicago now have some degree of sensitivity to vegetarians. But the Devon area with numerous Indian restaurants works for veggies pretty well. There are numberous middle eastern places that are always good, particularly good are the ones in Andersonville and Albany Park. My favorite is Noon-o-kebab in Albany Park, which has veggie food too.

Of course the thing with all these neighborhoods is you pretty much need a car to get to them, although so no one attacks me like Deni did, you CAN get there by public trans if you are willing to take the el and buses.

LouieB

I have not been in years, but it is pretty good. I like Blind Faith in Evanston alot and the Heartland Cafe, though not strickly veggie can be good. Frankly most places in Chicago now have some degree of sensitivity to vegetarians. But the Devon area with numerous Indian restaurants works for veggies pretty well. There are numberous middle eastern places that are always good, particularly good are the ones in Andersonville and Albany Park.

Of course the thing with all these neighborhoods is you pretty much need a car to get to them, although so no one attacks me like Deni did, you CAN get there by public trans if you are willing to take the el and buses.

LouieB

tony & i went to the blind faith cafe the other week but i didn't know it was a veggie place (which bothers me way less then it bothers tony). after figuring out what to get, i wound up with the greatest black bean burrito i have ever tasted. only thing that i didn't like were the cookies, they were to cakey for my liking.

Blind Faith is the best former hippie veggie restaurant in Chicago (although it is in Evanston) as far as I am concerned. Naturally some things don't make the grade, but I have rarely had a bad meal there.

LouieB

Trying to help out i barton despite gershon still trying to paint me as a prick. There are great coffee houses all over. One of my faves is a little joint called the Grind in Lincoln Square (I suppose I am the wrong person to ask since I don't drink coffee). Lincolnd Square is a great place to go anyway, because Laurie's Planet of sound is there along with lots of great restaurants, shops and bars. Certainly some of the restaurants would cater to veggie tastes. The Davis is an okay moderately cheap theater. There aren't that many cheap theaters in chicago any more sadly.

LouieB

But I figured i'd post and find out non-touristy places, like good priced used clothes stores (equivalant to Toronto's Kensington Market) or good vegetarian resataurants, coffee shops (no fucking starbucks!), cheap movie theaters etc... whatever

check out lincoln square...you can find most of this stuff there...

the music box is a cool art house theatre...so is the gene siskel film center...

there's a great vegetarian indian restaurant near devon and western...and a korean veg place (except i can't remember where it is right now...)

look up some of the thrift stores if you want used clothes...chicago's filled with 'em.

actually i was just warming everybody for my 'real' questions...

1. where does jeff live?

2. where is the loft?

3. what street corner does jay bennett busk on?

kiddin':)

1. within the city limits

2. I could tell you but I would have to kill you. (just kidding, it isn't all that private or exciting to see from the outside.)

3. Jay doesn't perform in public, but he might make a few bucks if he did.

LouieB

I am pretty sure Moti Mahal on Belmont is closed now.

Also, as a vegetarian living in Chicago, there is not a single restaurant that I have been to that I couldn't eat something, and that includes meat-fest places like Mortons.

I am pretty sure Moti Mahal on Belmont is closed now.

Also, as a vegetarian living in Chicago, there is not a single restaurant that I have been to that I couldn't eat something, and that includes meat-fest places like Mortons.

There are many great restaurants further off the beaten path on Devon. In fact a few, unlike Moti Mahal, are pure veggie and excellent.

Really almost no restaurants don't have some veggie option in Chicago, even though Chicago has always been pretty much of a meat town.

LouieB