Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so we're clear, I will only sign off on trading Milledge for Zito only if there's a contract extension involved.

And that's not gonna happen. With Boras running the show, Zito's definitely going to test the market.

Is Miner considered a top prospect? I haven't really heard anything about him.

Well, his hype was pretty small compared to Verlander and Zumaya (and I guess Sanchez, who is still in AAA). But the lack of hype was not for lack of expectations, it was just because the Tigers are so loaded with young pitching right now. A couple years from now, he could be the best #3 starter in the game (behind Verlander and Bonderman). Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up ahead of Bonderman in the rotation either. He's going to be very, very good.

Not to suggest he's going to be as good as Liriano. He's not. But I think both guys are going to be good enough, and both teams may be good enough, that they're both going to end up in some big games against each other down the line.

Edited by MrRain422
both teams may be good enough, that they're both going to end up in some big games against each other down the line.

Go Tigers!.... now only if my Detroit Lions could restore the roar, my life will be complete.

Edited by benjamin_kenobi

Whupping the Braves makes me feel sunny inside.

And that's not gonna happen. With Boras running the show, Zito's definitely going to test the market.

And with El Duque's fine performance today, I think the Mets are going to stand pat.

Dude, I gave up on the Lions at least 5 years ago, and it shouldn't have taken that long. There's no reason to hold onto any hope for the Lions so long as the Fords still own the team.

But I have no where else to go

The Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees have a tentative deal to send Phillies right fiedler Bobby Abreu and pitcher Cory Lidle to New York ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported Sunday.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported the Yankees will send 18-year-old minor-league shrotstop C.J. Henry -- their No. 1 pick in 2005 -- and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith. The Phillies will also pick one other minor-leauge player from an agreed-upon list, while the Yankees will take on responsibility for Abreu and Lidle's contracts.

Abreu is hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games. He has a career batting average of .301 with 198 home runs and 841 RBI over 10 seasons.

Lidle, a right-hander, is 8-7 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts in 2006. In eight seasons he has a career mark of 78-69 with a 4.54 ERA.

Abreu was in the Phillies' starting lineup Sunday but was pulled for Shane Victorino 10 minutes before their game with the Florida Marlins

Because what the Yankees need is more offense.

It could get them into the playoffs; might even get them past the Red Sox. They'll still have their questionable pitching, though, which should lead to a first-round exit.

I have to say though, any team that adds Bobby Abreu automatically is a better team.

Certainly better, but not substantially so, again considering the imminent returns of Sheffield and Matsui. They still have all sorts of needs when it comes to pitching, and unless they do something about that, they still won't be winning the World Series.

That being said, the pitching market is pretty weak this year, and so I guess they had to improve in any area where they had the opportunity, since their biggest needs simply can't be filled this year.

Also, Corey Lidle will give the Yankees some league average pitching, which they haven't been getting from almost any of their starters aside from Mussina and Wang. I'd say this is a great move for them.

And the Braves are SWEPT!!

Indians second baseman Ron Belliard is expected to be traded to the Cardinals if he makes it through Sunday's game healthy, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Cardinals also could acquire right-handed reliever Guillermo Mota in the deal, but the Indians are still talking about Mota with other clubs.

Belliard, 31, recently missed six games with a hamstring injury, but returned to the Indians' lineup Saturday. The Cardinals want to make sure that he is fully recovered before completing the deal.

Belliard entered Sunday's play batting .289 with a .335 on-base percentage, eight homers and 44 RBIs. He figures to be an upgrade over Aaron Miles, who has batted .224 since June 1. The Cardinals rank next-to-last in the National League in on-base/slugging percentage at second base.

Mota, 32, entered Sunday's play with a 6.21 ERA and .370 opponents' on-base percentage. He has a 3.86 ERA in July, but that number is deceptive: His opponents' OBP is .375.

The Yankee move was a no-brainer. I was just glad they didn't have to include Proctor in the deal. And who's to say that Matsui and/or Sheffield will be back as early as being reported (and if they'll be effective at all this year). Matsui's been an excellent player, but this is the first major injury he's ever had to come back from. Also, the Sheff/Yankee marriage hasn't exactly been a smooth one, and I think his days with the team are numbered

Edited by parisisstale
Just realized the reason I'm worried about Sheff and Matsui is a condition I've developed called "Pavano Paranoia". What a waste he is.

That was a pretty terrible signing, wasn't it?

Though it would've been pretty bad even if he had been healthy.

Sean Casey to the Tigers.

Not exactly a blockbuster move, but he's an improvement over Shelton, who is headed back to Toledo (how's that for a change from the beginning of the year, when Shelton was the cat's pajamas?). The Tigers didn't give up much either, so I say it's a good move.

Mets in trouble

In a stunning development that could affect the Mets' postseason chances, right-handed setup man Duaner Sanchez is out for the year with a separated pitching shoulder, FOXSports.com has learned.

Sanchez, 26, apparently was injured while riding as a passenger in a taxicab that was involved in a car accident Sunday night after the Mets landed in Miami. He returned to New York to undergo surgery on Monday.

The Mets already had been looking for bullpen help, and their search intensified in the final hours before Monday's 4 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline. Mets GM Omar Minaya was on the phone early Monday morning contacting other clubs about relievers who might be available.

Sanchez has been an integral part of the Mets' bullpen since arriving in a trade from the Dodgers for right-hander Jae Seo last off-season. In 49 appearances this season, he is 5-1 with a 2.60 ERA, and opposing hitters are batting only .223 against him.