I thought he couldn't be a bigger tool

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/....dui/index.html

On Scalz's "International Tool" scale (1 lowest, 5 highest), I previously had Mel Gibson rated at roughly a 4.3 thanks to his "efforts" to show his view of religion. After this, I must bump his rating up to a 5.0...and I may need to readjust the scale because I believe he just set a new high.

I don't believe there's an actor I hate more, so that being said...

Thank you, Mr. Gibson, for everything you do.

Drunken driving is a stupid thing to do, but many fine people have caught a DWI case. Now that the limit's 0.08, it ain't that hard.

Drunken driving is a stupid thing to do, but many fine people have caught a DWI case. Now that the limit's 0.08, it ain't that hard.

Regardless of the limit, it ain't that hard to avoid it all, either: don't drink and drive. :thumbup

Jesus rode beside him, but he did not buy him any smokes.

:cheers

^ ^

mel & jesus

holocaust denials and antisemitism aside, i still cannot stand any mel gibson movie except for the first two mad max flicks. the patriot has to be the worst depiction of the american revolution ever produced (and i'm including disney's johnny tremain in the list).

Edited by anodyne

Hmm, very iffy. Acting that out-there with a .12? That's crazy talk, not just kind-of-drunk talk.

I have little sympathy for drunk drivers anyway, but pretty much none at all for a guy who can probably afford to take a cab to Australia, if he had to.

holocaust denials and antisemitism aside, i still cannot stand any mel gibson movie except for the first two mad max flicks.

You've obviously never seen Gallipoli. Early in Mel's career (made between the two Mad Max films). I'd recommend it to anyone.

The same goes for The Year of Living Dangerously.

I'm not defending him -- I feel pretty much the same way, but not all of his films have been shite.

Anyone ever see The Million Dollar Hotel? That has to be one of the worst movies he's been in.

Agreed... but I'll second cryptique's recommendation of Gallipoli. Terrific movie.

Hmm, very iffy. Acting that out-there with a .12? That's crazy talk, not just kind-of-drunk talk.

I have little sympathy for drunk drivers anyway, but pretty much none at all for a guy who can probably afford to take a cab to Australia, if he had to.

You have a point there.

Well, it's just too perfect. Like Bush asking the Brazillian PM if they had blacks there. It fits preconceived notions too well to be true.

Seems like it's true, actually:

Mel Gibson's statement on his DUI arrest

Associated Press

The following is the complete text of Mel Gibson's statement regarding his arrest for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended.

"Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

"I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."