How easy is it to operate?

My full report: After having played with it for a few hours it definately seems like something you can make good, cool use of after just playing around for a little bit, but it will take a long time to get it down. I thought for some reason the ebow would be less "exact." There are string guides on the bottom of the little unit that you have to make sure the strings are in. Two outside guides balance and the middle "guide" or "channel" is where the string runs that you want to ebow. I tried using it up on the neck and down by the pickups and can get some cool sounds both ways. Right now it seems a litttle easier up on the neck because it can sit against the fretboard.

It has two settings, one produces what I would consider the more natural tone of the note that is being held, and the other causes the pitch to be much higher. At least one octave higher if not more. So it can really scream in that respect.

I used it on my strat and it was easiest to control with only using the front pickup. I sort of "gets going" after a minute and you can really see the string vibrating and you can feel it. Odd sensation.

I also found that you have to move it a bit like a bow, moving towards and away from the pickup to get the notes to ring. I think with practice I'll be able to make swells and what not.

I should add that it also works on an acoustic guitar. This is definately very different for an acoustic guitar sound. It isn't as loud as the electric, but still clearly audible.

The hardest part has been moving from one string to the other, as the strings really need to sit in the guides to make it work well.

All in all I think it was a good purchase. It's a cool, unique sound. If you can afford a $75 noise maker I'd get one.

edit: for the Pearl Jam fans, the solo in Wishlist is easily replicable.

I'll try to put sound clips up later on.

my roommate has one of these and I can confirm that it is fun to play with.

Even on acoustics.

I found I can do a pretty good imitation of the War on War synths using and ebow + overdrive + wah

So what about these 'cello sounds' that Musician's Friend advertises?
I guess if you were really good at using it on the lower strings. It seems like the higher, unwound strings are easier to control. I have yet to try it on my bass....

not sure if they still do, but i remember seeing ebows being made for bass. i'd like to try one on a guitar.

i had an ebow and couldn't get much going with it. i bought it for $25 used and threw it on ebay for a dollar. i think it sold for $70. point being, if you can snag one cheap enough and it doesn't work out, you can recoup pretty easily.

I guess if you were really good at using it on the lower strings. It seems like the higher, unwound strings are easier to control.

That's funny, I find the opposite. If you have trouble on the low strings, try starting out fretting at the 12th fret, either with a little vibrato or hammering on the fret. It gives it a little "kick start".

That's funny, I find the opposite. If you have trouble on the low strings, try starting out fretting at the 12th fret, either with a little vibrato or hammering on the fret. It gives it a little "kick start".
Thanks for the advice. I seem to want to start around the 7th and it takes a minute to get going.
Thanks for the advice. I seem to want to start around the 7th and it takes a minute to get going.

I have ALWAYS wanted an E-BOW hopefully someday i will get to use/buy one. I know Billy Corgan has used e-bows on pumpkins cd's before. He used one on an acoustic guitar on soma.

I bought one a few weeks ago and haven't had much time to experiment. It took me a while to do anything but screech. I did manage a cool version of Beck's Bolero, it was the only song I could think of at the time that was ebow friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

I went wild with this thing doing some recordings this weekend. I made some great "noise" by sliding it back and forth over my bass pickups. Not sure if it is because they are active or what, but it made some wild shit. With a little (well, a lot) delay added it made all sorts of crazy things go on.

It is a cool little instrument.

Definately.

P.S. I don't know a lot about electronics, but my inclination is to believe that the ebow might be bad to be near my computer when turned on. Any thoughts?

I've had one for about four or five years now. Mostly I use it for loops and such. If you want a sign wave type tone you can roll the tone control all the way back which is good for synthy type textures. Also you can get a lot of cool effects with lots of delay and a slide if you are into that kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...