She's a Jar - Quick Question

Got an easy one for you guys...

In the main riff after the progression from Bm - C, Tweedy uses some hammer ons/ pull offs around the C chord but I can't figure out exactly what he's doing....(especially on the solo versions)...any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Got an easy one for you guys...

In the main riff after the progression from Bm - C, Tweedy uses some hammer ons/ pull offs around the C chord but I can't figure out exactly what he's doing....(especially on the solo versions)...any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

----------

-(1)------

-------0--

--0h2-----

-(3)------

-----------

don't actually play the strings in parentheses - that's just to indicate that you're doing the hammer on in the C chord shape

----------

-(1)------

-------0--

--0h2-----

-(3)------

-----------

I always played it:

----------

-------1--

-------0--

--1h2-----

-(3)------

-----------

Actually, you're both (kinda) right. There are two little 'C' licks in the guitar riff. The first one is a slide (hammer?) from the 1st fret D string to the 2nd fret. The second is a hammer on from the open D string to the 2nd fret.

I can transcribe the whole riff if there is a groundswell.

Actually, you're both (kinda) right. There are two little 'C' licks in the guitar riff. The first one is a slide (hammer?) from the 1st fret D string to the 2nd fret. The second is a hammer on from the open D string to the 2nd fret.

I can transcribe the whole riff if there is a groundswell.

I was just going off Jeff's guitar from some live shows I've heard, where he uses the 1-2 hammer...

Thanks for the help..I've always played it like "jhc" but I always thought there was more after that one hammer...

I'll take that as a groundswell:

Here's my go at it. From what I can hear, there is a 1/2 slide going into beat 3 of the C chord and a 0 to 2 hammer in the last beat leading into the G chord). The V's are downbeats and the ^'s are upbeats so the first bar would be counted: one two a three e and a four and a.

1..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

e-------------(3)------(3)(2)(3)(3)----------------|

B--------------0--------0--0--0--0-----3-----------|

G--------------0--------0--0--0--0--0--4-----4--4--|

D--------------0-----------0--0--0-----4-----4--4--|

A--------------------------------------2-----------|

E--3-----------------------2-/3--3-----------------|

2..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

e--------------------------------------------------|

B--------------1-----------------1-----------0--0--|

G--------------0--------------0--0-----------0--0--|

D--2-----------2--------1-/2-----2-----0-h2--0-----|

A--3-----3-----------------------------------------|

E--------------------------------------------------|

Caveats!

(1) I have a tendency to voice things alternately too thick and too thin (harmonics screw with me). I think I struck the right balance here but trust your ear.

(2) I flip back and forth as to whether the ghost notes (the ones in parentheses) actually exist so I'll let you decide.

(3) Of course you should finger the entire G, Bm, and C chords (to the extent possible) but pick just the notes listed.

(4) This is only the first two bars of the intro, there might be some subtle variations (especially with voicing) in later iterations.

Cheers