My oldest 2 boys were not breastfed but Jacob was. One thing that I've noticed is that Jacob is almost 6 months old and hasn't had a sniffle. Both of my other boys had been sick multiple times by that age.

Thanks. Right now, I'm preoccupied with getting through the birth :ermm, but I've heard that breastfeeding can be really challenging for some moms. Wish me luck! ... I might hire a birth/postpartum doula to help out.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the birth part is a piece of cake.

I did have an epidural all 3 times though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i should look up such things before i make statements, then. :blush

I only know this because this morning Bethany (a zealot like her mother) and I had a conversation about this subject. She told me about the laws that protect nusing mothers from litigation.

Nursing laws.

that's what my mom always says...it's the 18 years after that that are tough...

I only know this because this morning Bethany (a zealot like her mother) and I had a conversation about this subject. She told me about the laws that protect nusing mothers from litigation.

Nursing laws.

cool!

I wouldn't debate the benefits of breastfeeding, but like Teeg's example...I don't know how conclusive the research is on said benefits. Our boys are rounding the base on month six and only one of them had a small bout of the trots when the both of us caught that nasty stomach flu...otherwise, they have been happy and healthy as all get out.

I do remember being an 11-year-old in vacation bible school and our teacher, in the middle of class, popped one of her melons right out there...no cover or anything...and started feeding her kid. My buddy, Sneeze, and I bragged about witnessing that to other kids in the neighborhood for months after. It was the first non-sneakapeekatdad'splayboyorlatenightHBO boob either of us had seen at that point.

There will always be exceptions to the rule. Plus formula is getting more advanced all the time.

It's formula, not rat poison.

Jacob gets it almost every day because my supply sucks (no pun intended) and I can't pump enough to keep up with him while I'm at work.

Plus, now that I'm pregnant, my supply is lacking even more.

I do agree that for the most part, breastfed babies are healthier during the first year. There will be formula fed babies that are ultra healthy and bf babies that are sickly, but I'm talking about averages...

I wouldn't debate the benefits of breastfeeding, but like Teeg's example...I don't know how conclusive the research is on said benefits. Our boys are rounding the base on month six and only one of them had a small bout of the trots when the both of us caught that nasty stomach flu...otherwise, they have been happy and healthy as all get out.

i'm not saying that the research is totally inconclusive...i believe that the benefits to the child's immune system are a definite reality, and that it helps to promote bonding between the mother and the child. plus, it's the natural thing to do. mammals of all sorts have been doing this stuff for a gazillion years, and they keep thriving, so there must be something to it, right?

I did have an epidural all 3 times though.

I need to hear more positive stories about childbirth. (Nat?) The more I learn, the more confident I feel.

I've been thinking about seeing a clinical psychologist to learn hypnosis as a strategy for managing pain, but I'm open to nitrous oxide or an epidural if I really need it. As a female comedian once said, "childbirth is a terrible time to give up drugs." My greatest fear is getting cut! :hmm

I need to hear more positive stories about childbirth. The more I learn, the more confident I feel.

I've been thinking about seeing a clinical psychologist to learn hypnosis as a strategy for managing pain, but I'm open to nitrous oxide or an epidural if I really need it. As a female comedian once said, "childbirth is a terrible time to give up drugs." My greatest fear is getting cut! :hmm

:cheekkiss *good vibes*

I've heard good things about hypnosis.

I'm too much of a wimp to go the natural route and with Jacob, I wasn't given a choice because I had pevlic separation and my ob said I needed one. That was ok with me because I would have had one anyways.

My greatest fear is getting cut!

If I can try to help out there, Yvette had to have an semi-emergency c-section and while there was some slight discomfort for a few weeks after...she said the fact that the boys came out all right made the pain seem almost non-existent. Again, that isn't always the case, but I wouldn't let yourself be too scared by it...if it turns out to be the best way to go about it, you'll be fine. :cheers

Back to boobs, what I meant to say is that I don't know if i'm completely sold that, in this day and age, breastfeeding is that much better than formula feeding or vice versa. I think both schools of thought are awesome enough, that kids are good to go either way. Yvette had no plans to breastfeed, but she couldn't have anyhow due to their premature birthweight...they were put on a higher-calorie formula.

"childbirth is a terrible time to give up drugs."

That was always my philosophy too, but all I got was demerol for the first one, nada for the second. After laboring (and perhaps because they gave me a shot of novacaine?) I didn't even feel the episiotomy.

I saw this article yesterday. People are idiots. I nursed wherever and whenever I needed to. I would have just loved for someone to complain. :comeon

Breasts are for nursing and as a byproduct produce the bond between mother and child. In my opinion, 98.6% of all men are so breast-fixated for one of two reasons -- either they were nursed, or they were not.

Women are less fixated only because they've got their own. And yes, we play with them ALL THE TIME!!! :w00t

Do you meditate Judy? Because the breathing exercises are your best bet to stay calm and get through the pain. And when's that baby coming??

harp seal milk?

Neosure, actually...but that sounds pretty badass, like it could give them superpowers or something. I'll ask their doctor.

And yes, we play with them ALL THE TIME!!!

In this crazy mixed up world, it's the things like that make me sleep well at night.

Neosure, actually...but that sounds pretty badass, like it could give them superpowers or something. I'll ask their doctor.

you should! harp seals are tiny little mofos when they're born, but, because their mothers' milk is so rich they grow to epic proportions by the time they're a year old.

"I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

There is no such thing.

As far as public nursing goes, I'm all for it: It's natural, it's important, it's completely non-sexual. Proper decorum should include a cover, though.

you should! harp seals are tiny little mofos when they're born, but, because their mothers' milk is so rich they grow to epic proportions by the time they're a year old.

195143445_1176cf2795.jpg

You tell me, does the chunker on the right need something like that. He may not be at 'epic proportions', but he's roughly the same size at 5

Do you meditate Judy? Because the breathing exercises are your best bet to stay calm and get through the pain. And when's that baby coming??

Baby is due in late September or early October. Meditation and breathing are great strategies that I intend to use as well. Anxiety and muscle tension make pain much worse.

I guess you never really know what to expect, so I'll just try to be as prepared as possible and let nature take it's course.

Baby is due in late September or early October. Meditation and breathing are great strategies that I intend to use as well. Anxiety and muscle tension make pain much worse.

I guess you never really know what to expect, so I'll just try to be as prepared as possible and let nature take it's course.

YOU CAN DO EET.