http://mediamatters.org/items/200608040004

--

While discussing the recent rape and murder of 18-year-old Jennifer Moore during the August 2 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, Bill O'Reilly appeared to suggest that the clothing she was wearing at the time helped incite her killer. O'Reilly discussed several factors that contributed to the "moronic" girl's rape and murder, including that she was drunk and wandering the streets of New York City alone late at night. But in addition to those factors, O'Reilly added: "She was 5-foot-2, 105 pounds, wearing a miniskirt and a halter top with a bare midriff. Now, again, there you go. So every predator in the world is gonna pick that up at 2 in the morning."

According to news reports, Moore and a friend attended a nightclub in New York City on the night of July 26. After discovering that Moore's car had been towed late in the evening, the two girls -- for unknown reasons -- were separated, leaving Moore walking alone near the Hudson River. Moore was later raped and murdered, and her body was found in a garbage bin two days later.

From the August 2 edition of Westwood One's The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly:

O'REILLY: So anyway, these two girls come in from the suburbs and they get bombed, and their car is towed because they're moronic girls and, you know, they don't have a car. So they're standing there in the middle of the night with no car. And then they separate because they're drunk. They separate, which you never do. All right.

Now Moore, Jennifer Moore, 18, on her way to college. She was 5-foot-2, 105 pounds, wearing a miniskirt and a halter top with a bare midriff. Now, again, there you go. So every predator in the world is gonna pick that up at two in the morning. She's walking by herself on the West Side Highway, and she gets picked up by a thug. All right. Now she's out of her mind, drunk.

And the thug takes her over to New Jersey in the cab and kills her and rapes her and does all these terrible things to her. And the thug is so stupid, he uses her cell phone, and the cops trace it back to him and they -- and they arrest him and charge him with murder. He had a prostitute girlfriend with him, and she's charged as an accessory to murder. But Jennifer Moore is in the ground. She's dead.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Reilly discussed several factors that contributed to the "moronic" girl's rape and murder, including that she was drunk and wandering the streets of New York City alone late at night. But in addition to those factors, O'Reilly added: "She was 5-foot-2, 105 pounds, wearing a miniskirt and a halter top with a bare midriff. Now, again, there you go. So every predator in the world is gonna pick that up at 2 in the morning."

But Jennifer Moore is in the ground. She's dead.

This guy is a total jackass... How dare he call her a moron or say it's her fault in anyway

that this monster killed her... I thought this was America, where young, beautiful girls

could go out and get drunk, use bad judgement... Who hasn't? That monster had NO RIGHT!!

Wonder someday if Bill O'Reilly is faced with a murderer if his clothes or if he had a drink

or the city will help in the fact he gets raped or murdered...

Sorry, it just pisses me off that "the girl" is always to blame when she is raped or murdered....

Not the monster that rapes or murders, not his fault, she did it, she asked for it....

In the end, She's dead.........

Butt Pee > Hasselhoff > O'Reilly > Coulter > Hitler

Personally I'd actually say that O'Reilly is worse than Coulter. Coulter says a lot of shameful things, but O'Reilly says a lot of things that are nearly as shameful, then later denies it and villifies anyone who tries to hold him accountable for it.

If I was drunk and alone near the Hudson River at 2 am, I'd expect people to call me a moron too.

especially if you were wearing a mini-skirt and tube top.

He's a total ass for the implication that she was 'asking for it'...but the overall statement that she was a moron for walking alone, drunk, by the Hudson River is dead on. It doesn't absolve the the ghoul who did this of guilt, but for God's sake...nobody should be that stupid.

OK so i'm a wolf, am I gonna go after the 240'lb 5'10 stone sober fleece jump suit wearing broad or am I gonna go after the 5-foot-2, 105 pound, wearing a miniskirt and a halter top with a bare midriff out of her mind, drunk chick?

While a dick, O'Reilly was just calling a spade a spade. If you're a moron, bad people will get you.

Again, to even imply that she 'deserved' it...that's what makes him a dick. Outside of that, anybody who doesn't know by now that this world is full of scary motherfuckers and that you can't expect bad things like this to happen, just because it's wrong...living in a dream world. Sad, but true.

O'Reilly, like a lot of the folks who seem to get paid by the word to spew thoughts off the tops of their heads, doesn't seem to be too sensitive with his word choices often. Like here.

Calling her moronic for having her car towed is, well, moronic. It happens to loads of sober (and drunk)people every night in Anywhere USA.

Insinuating the victim was moronic for wearing a sexy outfit for a night out is, er, moronic.

Getting drunk: not necessarily moronic, but certainly not a great decision (especially as she's not even legal drinking age, but whatever). The girl made a poor, inebriated decision to separate from her friend and walk alone. I'd agree with O'Reilly that predators will seek prey, and she certainly fell into the category of prey wandering around alone, drunk, late at night, in a revealing outfit, in NYC.

Her decisions this night contributed to her demise.

This coming from the man who was accused of sexual harrassment not to long ago, of course it's always the victim's fault. While she might not have excercised good judgement even implying that she somehow deserved to be raped and murdered is pretty dickish, yet typical O'Reilly.

--Mike

Isn't there a difference between saying someone deserved to be raped and murdered and not being completely shocked that it happened given the circumstances?

Just take your logic and unbiased ability to reason elsewhere Mr. We don't like that sort of thing around here. Savvy?

I worked as a volunteer in STL for my last year there counseling rape victims in emergency rooms across the city.

I saw a number of women who had been drinking and had maybe not used better judgement. However, in a number of cases the women weren't even aware that the area they were in was not safe, or were just trying to get out of a bad situation which was made worse by them trying to walk somewhere else. I can't even begin to tell you some of the horror stories.

However, never in a million years would I call ANY of these women morons or imply that their clothes made them somehow deserving of what happened to them. This is a way of thinking that is continually perpetuated throughout our culture - and O'Reilly just gives voice and creedence to the many people who subscribe to this bullshit attitude.

There, I have said my peace.

--

"We blame her for being there.

But we are all here.

But we are all guilty." --Fugazi

If I was drunk and alone near the Hudson River at 2 am, I'd expect people to call me a moron too.

SeanHotter.jpg

I worked as a volunteer in STL for my last year there counseling rape victims in emergency rooms across the city.

I saw a number of women who had been drinking and had maybe not used better judgement. However, in a number of cases the women weren't even aware that the area they were in was not safe, or were just trying to get out of a bad situation which was made worse by them trying to walk somewhere else. I can't even begin to tell you some of the horror stories.

However, never in a million years would I call ANY of these women morons or imply that their clothes made them somehow deserving of what happened to them. This is a way of thinking that is continually perpetuated throughout our culture - and O'Reilly just gives voice and creedence to the many people who subscribe to this bullshit attitude.

There, I have said my peace.

--

"We blame her for being there.

But we are all here.

But we are all guilty." --Fugazi

great post. thank you.

Edited by IRememberDBoon
never in a million years would I ... imply that their clothes made them somehow deserving of what happened to them

Ignoring that idiot O'Reilly for a minute -- I dont think anyone here ever suggested that this girl deserved what she got. No one ever deserves something like this.

But she did have a part to play in this -- the condition she was in, the clothes she wore, the choices she made, all were very relevant to what happened to her that night. Again, that is not to say that she deserved this -- merely that if she had to chosen to do things differently (and yes, that includes wearing different clothes and being aware of her surroundings), that maybe this horrible thing wouldn't have happened to her.

That being said, we all make mistakes. I make them regularly. Its not fair that one mistake by an 18 yr old results in something so absolutely horrible. But I live in that neighborhood -- I would never let my wife walk around there at that time of night even if she was stone cold sober and in a sweatsuit.

In the end, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and a monster did something virtually unthinkable. Folks in my neighborhood (including me) are still pretty shook up about it.

I will be inserting a GPS monitoring device in my daughter's brain tonight.

I am not a parent but I dont know how parents with high school or college-age kids sleep at night. I would be a nervous wreck.