I am not a parent but I dont know how parents with high school or college-age kids sleep at night. I would be a nervous wreck.

maybe they can sleep because events like this are actually pretty rare....or maybe, like my parents, they have kids who don't go out without them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a parent but I dont know how parents with high school or college-age kids sleep at night. I would be a nervous wreck.

We don't sleep...we pass out :beer It IS scary shit

I worked as a volunteer in STL for my last year there counseling rape victims in emergency rooms across the city.

I saw a number of women who had been drinking and had maybe not used better judgement. However, in a number of cases the women weren't even aware that the area they were in was not safe, or were just trying to get out of a bad situation which was made worse by them trying to walk somewhere else. I can't even begin to tell you some of the horror stories.

However, never in a million years would I call ANY of these women morons or imply that their clothes made them somehow deserving of what happened to them. This is a way of thinking that is continually perpetuated throughout our culture - and O'Reilly just gives voice and creedence to the many people who subscribe to this bullshit attitude.

There, I have said my peace.

--

"We blame her for being there.

But we are all here.

But we are all guilty." --Fugazi

Excellent, excellent post.

--Mike

I will be inserting a GPS monitoring device in my daughter's brain tonight.

actually my friend owns a company that puts gps into cell phones and using them as locator devices is one of the tauted uses.

the whole thing is pretty unfortunate but she was underage, driving into NYC, getting loaded and coming home in the middle of the night. while it's scary shit and you have to give your kids leeway I think it's nonsense to totally absolve parents from knowing where their kids are and what they're doing. it sucks that they have to live with this for the rest of their lives and will never get over this, but for every finger that gets pointed some where else one needs to be pointed back home. Kate makes some good points, and while these girls are entitled to their safety they are not entitled to get drunk, which by definition means stupid (ie. moronic). amongst the reasons there is a legal drinking age is because younger people tend to take greater risks more often. they don't have the maturity to not put themselves in situations in which they endanger themselves or others.

Edited by gershon
Let's just say for the sake of argument the girl's car didn't get towed and she was able to drive home that night...drunk. Would it be ok to call her actions "moronic" then?

Seriously good point.

Some years ago a good friend of mine was shot in the head while walking home from his restaurant late at night, through a sketchy neighborhood. As far as I know he was not drunk, nor was he wearing a skimpy outfit.

I saw no reason to blame him for this tragedy, except that knowing him, he probably smarted off to the boys that had him on the ground trying to rob him of the $5 he had in his pocket.

Rape and murder are heinous crimes.

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the errors made by the victims, if only as a lesson to other people. I certainly don't blame this girl for what happened to her -- obviously it's the fault of the person that committed the crime. However, I think if there's anything good that can come out of something like this, it's that kids might learn that when they're parents warn them about going into unfamiliar/dangerous neighborhoods, about getting drunk, about not being aware of their surroundings, etc. that they are serious, and that there can be some pretty horrifying consequences. I think that to ignore the lapse in judgement that the victim makes for a missed opportunity to maybe prevent it from happening again by teaching people to be more careful. It's a lot easier to control our own actions than it is to control the actions of others, so why not take the opportunity to open up discussion about ways to limit the ways in which a person might make themself vulnerable?

It's got to be done delicately of course, as there's no reason to pile onto a girl who has already paid an extremely severe price for doing something that people do all the time, most of the time without consequence. She shouldn't be portrayed as a bad person, or as a stupid person, just as a person who made some poor decisions (as we all do sometimes) that resulted in the worst possible outcome for her.

Know what I mean?

Edited by MrRain422
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the errors made by the victims, if only as a lesson to other people. I certainly don't blame this girl for what happened to her -- obviously it's the fault of the person that committed the crime. However, I think if there's anything good that can come out of something like this, it's that kids might learn that when they're parents warn them about going into unfamiliar/dangerous neighborhoods, about getting drunk, about not being aware of their surroundings, etc. that they are serious, and that there can be some pretty horrifying consequences. I think that to ignore the lapse in judgement that the victim makes for a missed opportunity to maybe prevent it from happening again by teaching people to be more careful. It's a lot easier to control our own actions than it is to control the actions of others, so why not take the opportunity to open up discussion about ways to limit the ways in which a person might make themself vulnerable?

Know what I mean?

How do you sleep at night?

It's got to be done delicately of course, as there's no reason to pile onto a girl who has already paid an extremely severe price for doing something that people do all the time, most of the time without consequence. She shouldn't be portrayed as a bad person, or as a stupid person, just as a person who made some poor decisions (as we all do sometimes) that resulted in the worst possible outcome for her.

Know what I mean?

Well put.

Especially for a Tigers fan.

I wonder if that producer that he was stalking/harrassing was wearing a halter and miniskirt as well.

1013043mackris9.gif

hmm.

right, because in the 10 years I've been practicing law, I've NEVER seen someone make false allegations in a pleading.

hmm.

right, because in the 10 years I've been practicing law, I've NEVER seen someone make false allegations in a pleading.

You may be right.

On the other hand - if someone made those allegations against me and claimed to have taped the alleged conversations as proof, I would probably call her bluff (rather than pay her million$ in a settlement).

But that's just me being naive I guess. :)

You may be right.

On the other hand - if someone made those allegations against me and claimed to have taped the alleged conversations as proof, I would probably call her bluff (rather than pay her million$ in a settlement).

But that's just me being naive I guess. :)

that's interesting that you are familiar with the terms of a confidential settlement agreement. Do you realize that "calling her bluff" may have cost him multiples of whatever he paid in settlement?

People settle lawsuits each and every day with the full knowledge that they did nothing wrong. It is an ugly side of our business. The fact of the matter is that with almost any lawsuit, the cost of settling up front is almost always cheaper than paying a lawyer(s) for the full prosecution of the case, even if the payor is in the right on the facts, and more importantly--even if he/she WINS the case.

Please don't get me wrong--O'Reilly may be a total pervert scumbag. I don't know. which is precisely my point--neither does any of you on this board, at least from what I've read so far. If any of you has personal knowledge of his scumbucketry, then please, put us in the know.