New Wilco Song Lyrics Seem Sub-Par

Guest Speed Racer
This is the silliest thread I've ever read! Are you kidding me??? :brow

Please, if you have trouble with new lyrics, go to the more complex message board for Radiohead. JT doesn't need the amateur critics here concerned about "sub-par lyrics"--what a waste of time!

:angry

No offense, but um, aren't you a lit prof?

Justifying 'sub-par' (I'm more inclined to think that most are just plain bad) lyrics with newfound health doesn't change the fact that lyrics are sub-par.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wilco...i.e. jeff tweedy...does not need the praise of the v.c. to be a artist......critics are those who are unable to create!

spongebob

Weren't Godard and Truffaut once critics? It's true that much of what passes as "criticism" these days is pretty piss-poor, but I'd still argue that the writings of the best, most perceptive critics are creative acts--even a critic starts by staring at a blank page--that often are far richer than the works they are writing about. Just one of countless personal examples: Jonathan Rosenbaum's writings about Eyes Wide Shut inspired me in more ways, and deeper ways, than the movie itself ever did.

No offense, but um, aren't you a lit prof?

No, I'm not. And you? You're a poet or something? A professional music critic?

No offense taken. Me, I love the simple lyrics as much as the complex from Mr. Tweedy....

And I, I must be high

To let you say goodbye

Bye bye bye

:yes

Guest Speed Racer

AWATT - thought you said you were an English prof, my mistake. :yes

Everyone else - If they were kissing Wilco's ass you wouldn't be ripping on critics right now, would you? Does that make fans people who can't create OR critique?

My opinion is that Wilco's new lyrics are sub-par. I'm delighted that Jeff is happy and healthy, believe me, but that doesn't change the fact that I have trouble listening to new songs all the way through. Will I buy the new record? Definitely. Listen to it frequently...? We'll see.

Oh, and NO LYRICS IN THE WORLD could save that disastrous synth intro to Let's Fight. Seriously, that synth ruins songs it's not even in.

AWATT - thought you said you were an English prof, my mistake. :yes

Everyone else - If they were kissing Wilco's ass you wouldn't be ripping on critics right now, would you? Does that make fans people who can't create OR critique?

My opinion is that Wilco's new lyrics are sub-par. I'm delighted that Jeff is happy and healthy, believe me, but that doesn't change the fact that I have trouble listening to new songs all the way through. Will I buy the new record? Definitely. Listen to it frequently...? We'll see.

Oh, and NO LYRICS IN THE WORLD could save that disastrous synth intro to Let's Fight. Seriously, that synth ruins songs it's not even in.

i'm not sure.....but i do know that opinions are like assholes...everybody has one. even me.....

spongebob

If there's one eternal truth, it's this: There's no accounting for taste. Art, and crticism of art, is devoid of absolute standards. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think Ernest P. Worrell movies are the sine qua non of the filmmaker's art and no stack of New York Times bad reviews of those films will sway them one bit.

I would also like to say that it's easy to confuse complexity with profundity and simplicity with shallowness.

No, I'm not. And you? You're a poet or something? A professional music critic?

No offense taken. Me, I love the simple lyrics as much as the complex from Mr. Tweedy....

And I, I must be high

To let you say goodbye

Bye bye bye

:yes

true dat

If there's one eternal truth, it's this: There's no accounting for taste. Art, and crticism of art, is devoid of absolute standards.

:thumbup

I would also like to say that it's easy to confuse complexity with profundity and simplicity with shallowness.

:thumbup :thumbup

If there's one eternal truth, it's this: There's no accounting for taste. Art, and crticism of art, is devoid of absolute standards. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think Ernest P. Worrell movies are the sine qua non of the filmmaker's art and no stack of New York Times bad reviews of those films will sway them one bit.

Goddamn, you're too smart for us.

It will no doubt provide him with some good banter material for the next run of solo shows.

--Mike

Between the comments about his lyrics and his weight he will probably be thrown into a downward spiral of depression and start writing the lyrics everyone expects of him again.

"What Light" might be Tweedy's best song to date. It's simple, but the best songs are usually pretty simple.
yea, I don't really get this thread. Aren't most of the songs on Being There fairly simple and straight forward and everyone likes that album.

LouieB