New Wilco Song Lyrics Seem Sub-Par

To use an R.E.M. analogy, while I love the quirky,mysterious lyrics of early R.E.M., I also like the more straight-forward lyrics of Everybody Hurts and many songs on Up.

And I've heard that Jeff wants to make a record that people can dance to or make love to or just enjoy listening to. "I dreamed about killing you again last night" or a song like Hell is Chrome wouldn't work towards this goal.

Although, thinking about it, the often-repeated "come with me" has possibilities.....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

To me, it definitely has more to do with the music and lyrics combined. I like simple lyrics - don't get me wrong - but the new songs in general are sort of lackluster. Well, no - I feel like the new songs are trying to infuse some sort of luster through the music that just isn't there. Every song sounds like it's trying to be the song that plays when the credits roll, and I don't care for that too much.

Simple lyrics would be much better if they were accompanied by good music, is all.

Edited by Speed Racer
Between the comments about his lyrics and his weight he will probably be thrown into a downward spiral of depression and start writing the lyrics everyone expects of him again.

I hope you're kidding, but on the off chance you're not - if somebody pointing out that Jeff's put on a few pounds is enough to send him "into a downward spiral of depression," then he's in the wrong business. Likewise, he should be well used to people discussing the quality of his writing, and thus should be able to handle it. He's a big boy, and he's been doing this a long time. He'll weather the criticism of his physique, and time will tell if the new album is up to par or not.

Jesus, people.

I never in my life thought I'd quote the New York Times, but I was just googling around trying to find the lyrics to these new songs, which everyone seems to have an opinion about--even though we don't even know if the lyrics/songs are finished--and I found this entry re the lollapalooza show:

New York Times Article

A New, Plainspoken Wilco

Is Wilco coming back down to Earth? "What you once were isn't what you want to be any more," Jeff Tweedy sang as Wilco started its Sunday afternoon set at Lollapalooza. With a full beard and a hat, dressed in a jacket with bluejeans, Mr. Tweedy had taken on the look of Neil Young, and he led the band in a set that included four songs -- tentatively titled "Impossible Germany," "What Light," Let's Fight" and "Walkin'" -- slated for Wilco's next album, due in early 2007.

The noisy, improvisational tangents that have been part of Wilco's music for the last five years were cut back for its Lollapalooza set -- not completely absent, but infrequent enough so that Wilco sometimes sounded like the straightforward roots-rock band it once was.

"What Light" was an artistic manifesto -- "Just sing what you feel, don't let anyone say it's wrong" -- set to a country waltz. A ballad, "Impossible Germany," observed, "This is still new to me, it's not what I planned" and eased into a stretch of twin-guitar jamming; "Let's Fight," a piano-based ballad with a swelling Beatles-style chorus, vowed, "Toinght, let's fight, let's get this right." For "Walkin'," a love song, Wilco added a horn section and Glenn Kotche kicked up a New Orleans drumbeat. There was more noise in one of Wilco's older songs, "Via Chicago," which (as on Wilco's live album, "Kicking Television") erupted every so often with drums and chaotic noise while Mr. Tweedy just kept singing, wistful and nonchalant. Things could change in the studio, of course, but for the moment Wilco's new songs are plainspoken.

I never in my life thought I'd quote the New York Times, but I was just googling around trying to find the lyrics to these new songs, which everyone seems to have an opinion about--even though we don't even know if the lyrics/songs are finished--and I found this entry re the lollapalooza show:

New York Times Article

A New, Plainspoken Wilco

Is Wilco coming back down to Earth? "What you once were isn't what you want to be any more," Jeff Tweedy sang as Wilco started its Sunday afternoon set at Lollapalooza. With a full beard and a hat, dressed in a jacket with bluejeans, Mr. Tweedy had taken on the look of Neil Young, and he led the band in a set that included four songs -- tentatively titled "Impossible Germany," "What Light," Let's Fight" and "Walkin'" -- slated for Wilco's next album, due in early 2007.

The noisy, improvisational tangents that have been part of Wilco's music for the last five years were cut back for its Lollapalooza set -- not completely absent, but infrequent enough so that Wilco sometimes sounded like the straightforward roots-rock band it once was.

"What Light" was an artistic manifesto -- "Just sing what you feel, don't let anyone say it's wrong" -- set to a country waltz. A ballad, "Impossible Germany," observed, "This is still new to me, it's not what I planned" and eased into a stretch of twin-guitar jamming; "Let's Fight," a piano-based ballad with a swelling Beatles-style chorus, vowed, "Toinght, let's fight, let's get this right." For "Walkin'," a love song, Wilco added a horn section and Glenn Kotche kicked up a New Orleans drumbeat. There was more noise in one of Wilco's older songs, "Via Chicago," which (as on Wilco's live album, "Kicking Television") erupted every so often with drums and chaotic noise while Mr. Tweedy just kept singing, wistful and nonchalant. Things could change in the studio, of course, but for the moment Wilco's new songs are plainspoken.

Has anyone transcribed the new lyrics? I, for one, would be interested in reading them.

I have been really disappointed with the MP3s I been hearing. With that being said, the songs translated much better in a live environment. Especially "Walken" Great guitar riffs from Tweedy. That what I was kind of hoping for at Lollapalooza... Maybe to hear the songs in a different light. It was exciting to see them. Even though the lyrics still seemed kind of goofy. Or maybe that was because my buddy and I scored some of the best KB I've had in about 5 years... No, I think it was the lyrics.

I agree, I love "Walken", but the lyrics are not just goofy - they seem forced and insincere and not organic at all. As if JT decided to sit down and write a "love song" instead of just becoming inspired and letting it flow. I feel the same way about "Is That The Thanks I Get?"

Edited by misslaura
Guest Speed Racer
I agree, I love "Walken", but the lyrics are not just goofy - they seem forced and insincere and not organic at all. As if JT decided to sit down and write a "love song" instead of just becoming inspired and letting it flow. I feel the same way about "Is That The Thanks I Get?"

That's hilarious! Those are the only two new songs I like! Well, I prefer the solo 'Is That The Thanks I Get?' to the full-band affair. But Walken - shit, I LOVE that song. I wouldn't mind a full-on pop record by them if it didn't suck as much as the rest of the new songs do.

Has anyone transcribed the new lyrics? I, for one, would be interested in reading them.

I think they are all in the "Lyrics and Tab" subforum if you care to poke around.

That's hilarious! Those are the only two new songs I like! Well, I prefer the solo 'Is That The Thanks I Get?' to the full-band affair. But Walken - shit, I LOVE that song. I wouldn't mind a full-on pop record by them if it didn't suck as much as the rest of the new songs do.

well that's the thing: I love them both too, especially Walken which was a set standout to me when I heard it in Sept. at ACL before I even knew it was a new Wilco song (in fact, I figured it was a cover). Not every song has to be pure poetry for me to love it, I love poppy Wilco. I just think lyrically they sound inorganic. I am ready to embrace any new Wilco album, a lyrical masterpiece or not.

Goddamn, you're too smart for us.

No I'm not, especially since I meant to say ne plus ultra instead of sine qua non ...

I think just like Dylan, Jeff is coming back to what is real after making like Ginsberg for a spell.

So YHF and AGIB aren't real?

EDIT: Just checked my shelf. They're still there. Whew.

When has rock been sincere?

So YHF and AGIB aren't real?

EDIT: Just checked my shelf. They're still there. Whew.

YHF - not really AGIB - moreso

It's like the difference between these lyrics:

Well, I asked the doctor if I could see you

It's bad for your health, he said

Yes, I disobeyed his orders

I came to see you

But I found him there instead

You know, I don't mind him cheatin' on me

But I sure wish he'd take that off his head

Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat

vs

I believe in you even through the tears and the laughter,

I believe in you even though we be apart.

I believe in you even on the morning after.

Oh, when the dawn is nearing

Oh, when the night is disappearing

Oh, this feeling is still here in my heart.

or

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower.

Element'ry penguin singing Hari Krishna.

Man, you should have seen them Kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,

vs.

Nobody ever loved me like she does

Oo she does, yes she does

And if somebody loved me like she do me

Oo she do me, you she doe

Feeling/simplicity is where it's at -

do we really think Jeff is going to continue to write

Disposable Dixie-cup drinking

I assassin down the avenue

the rest of his life?

Feeling/simplicity is where it's at -

do we really think Jeff is going to continue to write

Disposable Dixie-cup drinking

I assassin down the avenue

the rest of his life?

Well, I'm all for simplicity--I even love "We're Just Friends," which gets booed around here a lot--but I also really respond to abstraction, perhaps even more so. The lyrics to "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" rank among my very favorite Tweedy lyrics ever, partially because the feelings they rouse in me are very real. Mainly, I just wouldn't call those lyrics any less "real" than any other kind.

Well, I'm all for simplicity--I even love "We're Just Friends," which gets booed around here a lot--but I also really respond to abstraction, perhaps even more so. The lyrics to "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" rank among my very favorite Tweedy lyrics ever, partially because the feelings they rouse in me are very real. Mainly, I just wouldn't call those lyrics any less "real" than any other kind.

Sorry

I wear my heart on my sleeve so much that I have blood on my fingers.