Most Underrated Wilco Member Ever

Which of our beloved has been our most unrecognized beloved musical genius?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Use your supernaturally provided right to vote, VC

• John Stirratt
    • Ken Coomer
    • Glenn Kotche
    • Leroy Bach
    • Mikael Jorgensen
    • Nels Cline
    • Pat Sansone
    • Max Johnston
    • Jay Bennett

I voted for John cuz he's the only other original member still in the band. There's something to be said for consistency.

laugh it up, wookie

like I haven't been crucified already

Don't worry,my friend...until we come for you with the cross & the nails :yay

My money is on Glenn. I swear, I would do just about anything to play with a drummer like that. The flavor and groove he adds to the songs are simply phenomenal. And I don't think his technical abilities are showcased enough - like playing the xylophone with one hand while playing the rest of the drum kit with the other. :worship

I was there I think.....

My vote...Mike...

I voted Leroy because he took an undue amount of flack for his time in Wilco and the other candidates: John, Jay and Ken, all got more attention. If the poll was biggest non-Jeff influence then it'd be Jay for AGIB.

I'd rather see Wilco as a rock band than a piano band, unfortunately they're becoming a piano band.

My vote's for Pat!

He's an incredibly talented "multi-instrumentalist" in addition to the fact that he's sweet, down-to-earth, funny--and it doesn't hurt that he's SO cute... (sorry for the teeny-bopperesque language)

Between his work with Wilco, A.D., other production/contributing projects, and film, we have ourselves one talented souh-then gent! :wub

like playing the xylophone with one hand while playing the rest of the drum kit with the other. :worship

Exactly my friend.............those who have never played drums would never quite understand.

I believe John is the most underrated. He is an excellent guitarist and his harmonies are always perfect, IMO his voice complements Jeff's voice in a unique way. The others have been given much much praise over time, but I think John deserves much more praise than he has received.

Plus I really love how he runs up to the microphone at exactly the last second, and never too late :lol

Other than John, I suspect Pat might be underrated because I keep seeing his name attached to things I wasn't aware of - like on Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker", and Joseph Arthur, Josh Rouse, and Andrew Bird. So talented.

Glenn is appropriately rated (brilliant), Nels is appropriately rated (brilliant), and we've heard enough about Jay and I think LeRoy has received a lot of praise along the way.

I did not know some of this about Pat: From Wikipedia

word.

My money is on Glenn. I swear, I would do just about anything to play with a drummer like that. The flavor and groove he adds to the songs are simply phenomenal. And I don't think his technical abilities are showcased enough - like playing the xylophone with one hand while playing the rest of the drum kit with the other. :worship

While Glenn's bells work is always great, I think makes Glenn truly amazing is his more subtle, textural work, of shapeshifting completely to the song. "Handshake Drugs", and "Laminated Cats" are both two examples; the drum work is light, and minimal, but they make the songs all the more special, and they'd be entirely different songs without it. It's like Greg Kot put it; being content to just play a shaker part if it's what makes the song work.

While sure, anyone who tosses of Jay Bennett isn't realizing that he is extremely influential in the shaping of most existing Wilco records. And yes John Stiratt is possibly maybe even genetically the best bass player/back up singer you could ask for, and Mikael Jorgensen is such a talented accompaniest whose nearly complete lack of image have left him ignored and underdiscussed, and yes pat sansone holds down a lot of ends/has cute hair/does fun stuff to watch live (i.e. monster hand on the discordant ending of poor places, windmills etc.).........Glenn just doesn't receive enough rants on this board. I would rank him one of the best drummers in rock history. There are other greats that are equally if not more notable then him; but Keith Moon, Bonzo, Ringo, Charlie Watts, that jerk from dream theatre, none of those guys play with the same mix of eloquence and sensitivity that Kotche does. So there.

ps when do we have a Tony Margherita appreciation forum? :P

Glenn just doesn't receive enough rants on this board. I would rank him one of the best drummers in rock history. There are other greats that are equally if not more notable then him; but Keith Moon, Bonzo, Ringo, Charlie Watts, that jerk from dream theatre, none of those guys play with the same mix of eloquence and sensitivity that Kotche does. So there.

I totally agree Glenn is truly bad-ass,but you forgot a guy who imo trumps all of 'em....Mr. Bill Bruford

Neil Pert (RUSH) anyone???

--Robert.

Yeah! According to JT on 2/20/06,Neil is Glenn's guru.

HMD on the Dekalb show:"Playin' Rush covers..."