Nels/Pat Pedal Steel What If

Last night I listened to a show from 1998 (1998.09.12) that I just downloaded, and was amazed by the tunes (it's an interesting mix--I remember that at least as to the last half of the show the taper's mic was squarely in the path of the gutsy/bassy speaker section of Jay's rig...), and started pondering the inclusion of pedal steel at that time and the exclusion of it now.

I am fascinated by much of Nels' playing, both the pre-Nels material and post, so don't presume this thread to be a knock at his playing at all. And I enjoy some of the lap steel he does. But I kept thinking to myself last night "wouldn't it be great to hear Nels (or Pat for that matter--actually with Pat on steel and Nels doing his crazy-speed and subtle flourish thing, that might even be better) rip it up on a traditional pedal steel?"

That thought led to the realization that it wouldn't only sweeten up some of the old tunes, but might add a great texture to the new stuff. I can easily hear some great pedal steel riffs and whines in "Thanks I Get" (instead of the rather elementary little riffs that are in the verses and bridges now), and think it could add a lot of depth to "What Light."

Then again, it strikes me that the band may simply feel that they've moved on from the pedal steel and the "alt country" slant of things...

Thoughts?

If enough of you think the pedal steel addition would be beneficial, I'll simply call Jeff and have the change made. :ermm

:P

Ehh, I prefer lap steel. Lots of the stuff Nels does on lap steel is better then most things most pedal steel players are doing these days. One by One is a great example, his lap steel bits on Kicking Television are far better then the pedal steel bits Bob Egan did on the Mermaid Avenue album.

An excellent guitarist might not be able to play worth a crap on pedal steel. They're very, very different instruments.

But I'd like to hear that, too. It'd be interesting.

Very good point. I am always baffled by talented pedal steel players. I saw a guy play with Gary P. Nunn a few months back--I realized about an hour later that I was standing in the same place with the same warm beer I had started the show with. Takes all four limbs and a whole lot of feel...

Ehh, I prefer lap steel. Lots of the stuff Nels does on lap steel is better then most things most pedal steel players are doing these days. One by One is a great example, his lap steel bits on Kicking Television are far better then the pedal steel bits Bob Egan did on the Mermaid Avenue album.

I think One by One is my favorite song off of KTV because of that lap steel part.

The ability to play BOTH lap steel and the regular guitar at the current levels that Nels does already is pretty fuckin' amazing already.

As an example, Robert Randolph plays a mean pedal steel but he really sucks on regular guitar, no offense or anything.

I don't think Pat plays lap steel/pedal steel, for that matter.

Edited by poortranslator
An excellent guitarist might not be able to play worth a crap on pedal steel. They're very, very different instruments.

That's true,but the exception there is the amazing Barry Sless.The guy is top-notch on both

Scott

Last night I listened to a show from 1998 (1998.09.12) that I just downloaded, and was amazed by the tunes (it's an interesting mix--I remember that at least as to the last half of the show the taper's mic was squarely in the path of the gutsy/bassy speaker section of Jay's rig...), and started pondering the inclusion of pedal steel at that time and the exclusion of it now.

I am fascinated by much of Nels' playing, both the pre-Nels material and post, so don't presume this thread to be a knock at his playing at all. And I enjoy some of the lap steel he does. But I kept thinking to myself last night "wouldn't it be great to hear Nels (or Pat for that matter--actually with Pat on steel and Nels doing his crazy-speed and subtle flourish thing, that might even be better) rip it up on a traditional pedal steel?"

That thought led to the realization that it wouldn't only sweeten up some of the old tunes, but might add a great texture to the new stuff. I can easily hear some great pedal steel riffs and whines in "Thanks I Get" (instead of the rather elementary little riffs that are in the verses and bridges now), and think it could add a lot of depth to "What Light."

Then again, it strikes me that the band may simply feel that they've moved on from the pedal steel and the "alt country" slant of things...

Thoughts?

If enough of you think the pedal steel addition would be beneficial, I'll simply call Jeff and have the change made. :ermm

:P

As an example, Robert Randolph plays a mean pedal steel but he really sucks on regular guitar, no offense or anything.

I saw him this summer - he doesn't really use the pedals, does he? It didn't look like it, but I'm not expert.

It was said that he doesn't enjoy sitting behind or at an instrument while playing it.He said it made him feel like he was opperating some peice of machinery or something.

They don't exactly have Bob Egan anymore, that'd be Blue Rodeo, and Bob Egan kicked major ass when I saw him with Blue Rodeo last week. I much prefer them with pedal on only a few songs. Gun with a pedal steel? Come on!

HANDS DOWN.

THE best pedal steel player out there is Eric Heywood. He played on Sun Volts Wide Swing Tremelo, but his work on Richard Buckner's album Since is the stuff of legends. He is easily the best "guitarist" I have ever heard live when I saw him and Buckner at Schubas in Chicago. I have always in my heart hoped somehow he would stumble into Wilco's way at some point.