Nels Cline Question

Here is a question to all you Wilco "old timers" (but first some background):

I was listening to the AGIB Tour EP live tracks the other day (which, when I first got them totally rocked), and they sounded just, I don't know, flat and like something was missing. I chalked that "something missing" up to Nels Cline. I'm pretty sure he didn't play on the Tour EP; if he did, it was pretty damn subdued. Of course about a year later KTV came out, I saw them live and, of course, was introduced to the awesomeness that is Nels' guitar playing abilities.

Anyhoo, my question is this: What do you all think of Nels' addition to their live sound? Is it better or just different and incomparable, like two different bands?

Which do you like better? I've only seen them live with Nels, but if the Tour EP is any indication, I prefer the live sound with Nels. I'm intersted to hear anybody's take on this...

Also, I can't wait to hear how he sounds on the next studio release.

Anyhoo, my question is this: What do you all think of Nels' addition to their live sound? Is it better or just different and incomparable, like two different bands?

only seen them once in 2003 with leroy..

i love nels' lap steel playing on tunes like airline and mountain bed... thats pretty much it.

I think each lineup since Glenn joined has been perfect and really like the 2002-2003 shows with Leroy/Mike/Jeff/John and Glenn. I think Jeff was really starting to branch out and do some incredible things with the electric guitar, I love Leroy's talent on keyboards and guitar and Mike's addition of sonic weight is really interesting. So I am not sure that the addition of Nels and Pat is the absolute essential end all be all of Wilco lineups, but they certainly have the ability now to do a lot more on stage with the songs then they ever have before. And they have the potential to be the best working version of the band in the studio as well. But as great of a guitar player as Nels is, I think it's kind of unfair to write off all the pre-Nels incarnations of the band. So in my opinion I don't think they were missing something without him, they adjusted their sound apporiately based on what they had, for each live incarnation.

--Mike