Favorite among new material

With new songs being unveiled in the live sets, I'm getting all excited about the new album. I dont care if Taylor Hicks is on it. Well...

My personal favorite is "Let's Fight."

Anyone?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is That The Thanks? and Walken are amazing.

A lot of the other songs are great too. The new CD will be another change of Wilco's musical format with a lot of soul vibe in it via the keyboards and will have Tweedy and Cline interweaving guitar parts together a la Television (Verlaine and Lloyd).

I love every new song with the exception of "On & On & On." It's right on par with My Darling in my book and would be a huge mistake to include it on the album.

I agree. I dislike On & On & On in its current arrangement.

Haven't heard 'em all, I like Is that the Thanks I Get and The Ruling Class (I know it's Loose Fur, I just like it) and Walken is fine too

I do not like On & On & On & On & On

i think I need to hear Impossible Germany

Impossible Germany....the version from the Pines Theater show is frigging great (July 16 2006). Love all the little piano fills in the second verse. Nels goes bezerk at the end. Great song.

Edited by darkstar

I hope a new, fresh, great, fabulous version of On and On and On makes the next record, if for no other reason, than to hear all the whiny, know-it-all, Wilco advisor wannabees say, "hmmmmm.....y'know, that On and On and On song ain't too shabby."

Trust the Tweedy.

I love the new songs (even On&On). "What Light" is probably my favorite so far. The lyrics are so inspiring. I think that anyone who is an artist/musician can relate to it.

The only new song that I have issues with is "Walken." The first time I heard it, I hated it. I still don't like the MP3 I have of an earlier version. But, it's really improved over time. It was amazing at Lollapalooza (despite not being able to hear the horns).

A lot of them are really bad (hey, don't shoot the messenger!) but Thanks I Get and Impossible Germany are both great. Also, big thanks to whoever upped Jeff's incredible song "Lullaby for Rafters and Beams" in one of the other forums. Possibly one of his best songs, and I love the hell out of the line "The drunks were ricochetin' off the old buildings downtown / Empty and alone."

Impossible Germany....the version from the Pines Theater show is frigging great (July 16 2006). Love all the little piano fills in the second verse. Nels goes bezerk at the end. Great song.

I still like the first performance (2006.06.28) best, because that was more about guitar freakout than piano clunkyness. :whoo

Guess you know where my vote is.

I still like the first performance (2006.06.28) best, because that was more about guitar freakout than piano clunkyness. :whoo

This is of course the right answer, or at least the right attitude. Piano clunkyness is killing music.

But yeah, one of the better songs by far, and the latest batch are definitely much better than the earlier ones. I wouldn't call any of them great though. What Light comes the closest but doesn't quite transcend the somewhat corny lyrics. Change your bag? lol

On & On & On proving anyone wrong would require new music and new lyrics and even if that happened it wouldn't be the same song.

I don't get why you'd want every song on the record to be harping on the same thing though, every new song doesn't have to be a plaintive wail for a relationship gone wrong coupled with a grim determination to see things through, does it? I mean Either Way, On & On & On, We Can Make It Better!, Impossible Germany and Let's Fight are basically the same song. Walken isn't much different. We get it. Enough. Please. Stop.

This is of course the right answer, or at least the right attitude. Piano clunkyness is killing music.

But yeah, one of the better songs by far, and the latest batch are definitely much better than the earlier ones. I wouldn't call any of them great though. What Light comes the closest but doesn't quite transcend the somewhat corny lyrics. Change your bag? lol

On & On & On proving anyone wrong would require new music and new lyrics and even if that happened it wouldn't be the same song.

I don't get why you'd want every song on the record to be harping on the same thing though, every new song doesn't have to be a plaintive wail for a relationship gone wrong coupled with a grim determination to see things through, does it? I mean Either Way, On & On & On, We Can Make It Better!, Impossible Germany and Let's Fight are basically the same song. Walken isn't much different. We get it. Enough. Please. Stop.

lololololololoolololllololol I enjoy them all except On & On & On. What Light is gonna be a big sing along at the end of shows for sure.