Favorite among new material

I like all of them except Is That the Thanks I Get. It's just very... pedestrian. It could end up being phenomenal, but the version I heard is missing something.

Are you talking about the Conan version? Because after all these years of feedback, drone and crazy sounds, its refreshing to hear some straightfoward Wilco. I can't stop listening to the Conan version.

I also love how Conan yells "Guys!" at the end of the performance. He is a fan. Well, I don't know if he is or not, but I assume he is because he gives the Conan "bow of respect" when he mentions their name.

:worship

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't been played live, and it's not even a Wilco song, but it's new, "A Long Time Ago," from the new Smog is my favorite. But "Walken," is pretty great as well.

If it's true that Tweedy wants to make a feel-good, soul record....he said in one concert he wants to make an album that doesn't have "arty, hoity-toity bullshit" and make a record that people can dance and sing and make out to.....then I don't think it's totally fair to criticize the new songs. I don't think Tweedy is TRYING to come up with profound, mysterious lyrics.

And musically, I think the band is trying different things.....none of us know where it'll end up.

At least Wilco isn't trying to make a hip-hip record (ahem....Elton John...ahem......lordy is THAT gonna suck!)

I still like the first performance (2006.06.28) best, because that was more about guitar freakout than piano clunkyness. :whoo

Guess you know where my vote is.

I hear ya, the 7-16-06 version isn't clunky at all though. Just some nice soft little piana riffs...anyways...a pretty good guitar freakout at the end on this version as well. No matter what it's a great tune.

What Light comes the closest but doesn't quite transcend the somewhat corny lyrics. Change your bag?

Thank you so incredibly much for this measured response to a terrible song. Honestly, "change your bag?" I thought I was the only person laughing at that one.

Edit: and no, I'm not one of the people clamouring for a return to the "hoity-toity" stylings of the last few years. Just come on: What Light is painfully mediocre. The lyrics are basically, "Everything is great, chill out, let it all go, be yourself." Trite! Trite to the point where I'm embarrassed that the song hasn't been retired yet, and I've never, ever said that about anything Tweedy-related before.

Edited by TheMaker
What Light is painfully mediocre. The lyrics are basically, "Everything is great, chill out, let it all go, be yourself." Trite! Trite to the point where I'm embarrassed that the song hasn't been retired yet, and I've never, ever said that about anything Tweedy-related before.

I wouldn't go that far because I think the whole overcomes the lyrics, but I do think the new songs are all suffering from this. It's not even that they're bad (though some bits border on it) but they're just so pedestrian compared to what he's done in the past. How do you go from songs like Hummingbird or Less Than You Think to Walken and feel good about it? And it's not like we're being saved by rock & roll here either because the music is generally pretty bland.

What I don't get is why his Wilco cast-offs - the Golden Smog, the Loose Fur, even that Spongebob song are all better than these new Wilco songs. What is it specifically about the Wilco-izing process that's making songs suck? Maybe it's just time for solo Jeff Tweedy or full time Loose Fur.

I have to say, when I heard What Light for the first time in Toronto, I was very moved! I absolutely loved the song and I immediately wanted to hear it again. I was thrilled when they opened with it the next night in London. Impossible Germany grew on me soon after. The new stuff is quite different than YHF and AGIB but I never judge a band's musical evolution (or devolution as it may well be) until I have a chance to really get to know the new songs. Too many bands are accused of selling out when they don't play the same shit over and over - imagine if every Wilco album was just a continuation of AM? AM is wonderful but that would get pretty old pretty quick. I'll hold off on my critique until the album comes out, until then, I'll take anything they play - anywhere, anytime! :wub

Thank you so incredibly much for this measured response to a terrible song. Honestly, "change your bag?" I thought I was the only person laughing at that one.

Edit: and no, I'm not one of the people clamouring for a return to the "hoity-toity" stylings of the last few years. Just come on: What Light is painfully mediocre. The lyrics are basically, "Everything is great, chill out, let it all go, be yourself." Trite! Trite to the point where I'm embarrassed that the song hasn't been retired yet, and I've never, ever said that about anything Tweedy-related before.

who is this asshole??

What I don't get is why his Wilco cast-offs - the Golden Smog, the Loose Fur, even that Spongebob song are all better than these new Wilco songs. What is it specifically about the Wilco-izing process that's making songs suck? Maybe it's just time for solo Jeff Tweedy or full time Loose Fur.

Tough luck; it won't happen. Tweedy has said numerous times that this incarnation is the best he's ever felt the band to be, and he loves the collaborative, creative process going on. Whether or not the fans like it, I don't think much will change. Maybe while this unit's still warming up, there will be a few clunkers, and there have indeed been, but I think "Impossible Germany" and "Walken" are eons above what Wilco has done before, so I think they're capable enough.

Oh well, the good thing about the backlash is that "A ghost is born" suddenly became so much more popular all of a sudden, as everyone's clamoring for the artsy fartsy days.

Oh well, the good thing about the backlash is that "A ghost is born" suddenly became so much more popular all of a sudden, as everyone's clamoring for the artsy fartsy days.

Oh well,to each his own...I'm sure during the "artsy" days there were those who were yelling "Christ,you guys,ROCK OUT!" "BOX FULLA LETTERS!" :rock .

I think at this point we can just go on history & trust that whenever it comes out,& whatever is on it,it will be good & it will stand up to repeated listenings.. I mean have you been let down before? I haven't.

Scott

Tough luck; it won't happen. Tweedy has said numerous times that this incarnation is the best he's ever felt the band to be, and he loves the collaborative, creative process going on. Whether or not the fans like it, I don't think much will change.

Any band is only one catastrophic failure away from breaking up.

Maybe while this unit's still warming up, there will be a few clunkers, and there have indeed been, but I think "Impossible Germany" and "Walken" are eons above what Wilco has done before, so I think they're capable enough.

:lol

AGIB might seem a whole lot better once you've been exposed to the new material, but that's not a very good defense. As it happens I like AGIB quite a bit, but then I've always liked it.

And it's not a missing of the artsy fartsy days that bothers me, it's the embrace of the banal.

Anyway I'm so unbelievably bored with this topic; this is the absolute last time I venture into this type of thread until the record comes out. I really do hope Wilco blows me away and makes all this angst look stupid when they release the new record but I just don't hear it this time.