I yelled for "Long Time Ago" and Jeff heard me

"...That's it. Mr. Tweedy is a bringdown, a chronic ebb-tide personality. He might be depressing to watch if he weren't so irritable, and so good. Tetchy at the sound of acceptance, he fought with the audience members who threw it at him, mildly berating song-requesters. (One, yelling for the Wilco song "Radio Cure," was answered by a curt explanation that the easiest way to get him to play a song was to be quiet. The fan then yelled, at the same pitch, "Sorry!" It was an indie-rock moment.)"

I beat up people that yell for songs at shows.*

* ok, i just roll my eyes and wish they would shut the hell up already. And think to myself that the NEXT time someone does it I am going to beat them up.

The next night he played Gun and I yelled at him to "sing it high" because he was using a capo to play it in a lower key and he acted like it was kind of dragging. And, by god, he played it high. That motor boatin sob...one of the coolest musical nights ever.

ah that was you? :shifty

some of us loved the lower register vocals on it :lol

Jeff was taking audience requests one night at The Vic and he picked me out. I thought I'd be bold and ask him to play "If That's Alright". He quickly responded- "That's not alright." I thought to myself- way to really f- that up.

The next night he played Gun and I yelled at him to "sing it high" because he was using a capo to play it in a lower key and he acted like it was kind of dragging. And, by god, he played it high. That motor boatin sob...one of the coolest musical nights ever.

You are my fucking hero. Gold star.

"...That's it. Mr. Tweedy is a bringdown, a chronic ebb-tide personality. He might be depressing to watch if he weren't so irritable, and so good. Tetchy at the sound of acceptance, he fought with the audience members who threw it at him, mildly berating song-requesters. (One, yelling for the Wilco song "Radio Cure," was answered by a curt explanation that the easiest way to get him to play a song was to be quiet. The fan then yelled, at the same pitch, "Sorry!" It was an indie-rock moment.)"

THANK YOU!!!! Someone spoke the truth. I may be incorrect, but I think you are referring to the solo show in Raleigh most recently. I literally felt sorry for the people who were unfamiliar with JT's typical response to vocal audience members. Berating is to put it mildly. However, I must say he gave an apology to one fan that he most particularly lashed out on. I did laugh at all his comments though, and thought, "he is an American heckler assassin."...It was a bit of a buzz-kill, but his talent surpasses that.

i've never yelled out a song at a wilco show....but jeff said my name on stage at my first show, which is still really awesome, and sort of along the lines of the topic...

Jeff says my name on stage every once in a while. Of course, my name is John, and I imagine he might be talking about that bass player, but it's still awesome :pirate

I thought it was made clear a while back that making a sign with your song request was the standard method of request... :P

Undoubtedly. Find the most obscure great song that never gets played and everyone carry one. Then we'll do the wave. :cheers

THANK YOU!!!! Someone spoke the truth. I may be incorrect, but I think you are referring to the solo show in Raleigh most recently. I literally felt sorry for the people who were unfamiliar with JT's typical response to vocal audience members. Berating is to put it mildly. However, I must say he gave an apology to one fan that he most particularly lashed out on. I did laugh at all his comments though, and thought, "he is an American heckler assassin."...It was a bit of a buzz-kill, but his talent surpasses that.

I think this was from the NYTimes review of the Tweedy solo show in Tribeca last fall.

ah that was you? :shifty

some of us loved the lower register vocals on it :lol

I know- I like that as well---he played it that way the night before, so it was a nice contrast between the two. It was funny because he said the "high version is so much harder to sing!" Very cool that he did that for us.,