How does Jeff Tweedy do it??

I was reading the favorite new songs thread and was realizing that I actually like all of the songs. How the hell does this man write so many damn great songs. They transcend what anyone other singer songwriter is doing now or has done in 20 years. I mean everything he touches turns to gold. Is it pure talent or his work ethic or what?? I keep waiting for the music to suck and it never does

Is it pure talent or his work ethic or what??
Clearly it is some of both. Jeff doesn't take the easy strum and mumble tack as often as his contemporaries, so he stands out with songs that are both different than others and clearly identifiable in and of themselves.

LouieB

...They transcend what anyone other singer songwriter is doing now or has done in 20 years.

Um, anyother singer?

One word for you bud, Trace.

I was reading the favorite new songs thread and was realizing that I actually like all of the songs. How the hell does this man write so many damn great songs. They transcend what anyone other singer songwriter is doing now or has done in 20 years. I mean everything he touches turns to gold. Is it pure talent or his work ethic or what?? I keep waiting for the music to suck and it never does.

Right you are. He's a keeper.

among plenty of others, I wouldn't say NOBODY else is writing such great material, but he is one of the few.

Jeff is one of my favorite artists/performers/writers, but to categorically state that for the last 20 years everybody else has been shite is kind of a hard pill to swallow.

Elliot Smith

Ryan Adams

Olson/Louris

Jay Farrar

C. Robinson/R. Robinson

I could go on.

I heard that he throws street musicians in his locked basement, forcing them to write songs for him. Any of them who ends up writing a hit is taken out of the basement and killed, so that no one ever learns Jeff's dark secret.

I heard that he throws street musicians in his locked basement, forcing them to write songs for him. Any of them who ends up writing a hit is taken out of the basement and killed, so that no one ever learns Jeff's dark secret.

:lol I wrote the lyric "distance has no way of making love understandable", but at least he kept me in lotion and I escaped without harm. It's time the world knew.

I'll be driving through your fair haven again this weekend on the way to things cooler and hopefully drier.

good luck with all that.