How does Jeff Tweedy do it??

Jeff is one of my favorite artists/performers/writers, but to categorically state that for the last 20 years everybody else has been shite is kind of a hard pill to swallow.

Elliot Smith

Ryan Adams

Olson/Louris

Jay Farrar

C. Robinson/R. Robinson

I could go on.

Sheryl Crow

Fall Out Boy

Hulk Hogan's Daughter

I could go on.

He reads a lot of books by digging deep into them and listens to a lot of music. It's known as the input output method.

Lyrically, Jeff is good because in order to be a good writer; you have to be a good reader. For instance, the lyric "bloodier than blood" appears in Omensetter's Luck by William H. Gass.

Musically, he listens to a wide varitey of music such as strange progressive rock such as Amon Duul, country (The Carter Family), punk (The Minutemen, The Ramones, etc.), funk (Charles Wright), folk (Bob Dylan or Bill Fay), adult happy music (Abba), avant-grade jazz (Derek Bailey or Albert Ayler), and other generes that he can hit a wide varitey of people's musical specturm. Plus, like any person creating music, the music that they have heard can translate into music that they create. For example, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" sounds very smilar to the german art-rock band Neu's "Hallo Gallo" off of their self-titled debut album.

For example, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" sounds very smilar to the german art-rock band Neu's "Hallo Gallo" off of their self-titled debut album.

Ah, yes, Hallo Gallo. I'm in love with that song even moreso than Kidsmoke since I've heard it.

For those who haven't heard it, it's pretty much a ten minute treatment of the first three minutes of Kidsmoke.