Ys by Joanna Newsom

Is a really really beautiful record. I was a bit skeptical when I heard it was 5 songs ringing in at an hour, but these songs are wonderful. For those of you who were turned off by her voice previously, you should give her another chance with this one, as there's much less "quirk" in it. The orchaestration is lush, but not overbearing, and the wonderful harp is still very up front in the mix. And the lyrics are still full of wonder and whimsy.

If that doesn't convince you, the record ruining, Mr. Jim O'Rourke, got his paws on recording/production process (along with Steve Albini and Van Dyke Parks).

It's on Oink, and apparently leaked because PFork left their download server unsecured. :lol

I've been listening to it all morning, and it really is beautiful.

I too had my doubts before hearing it (I was one of those people that found her voice a little annoying on Milk-Eyed). But these songs really work well.

it most definitely is a wonderful record, but at first i was a bit aprehensive seeing that the average track is like 10 minutes. i love her voice but i was a bit worried that it would be a bit grating after the 6 minute mark. luckily this fear was not allowed to come to fruition.

the songs themselves, the melodies aren't nearly as memorable as the last record (which i was pretty sour on, due to the afformentioned vocals), but man it's such a rewarding listen during the 55 minutes the album runs...

yes some of the songs are way too long, but as i stated in the NP thread, it's like listening to some Disney film or whatever, it doesn't really feel as long due to that fact. it's meant to be listened to as a whole, not any individual songs.