When the Roses Bloom Again

I love, love, love this song and wonder if some of you kind souls might send some exceptional live versions to the rest of us? Also, please recommend other artists' versions of this wonderfully sad song. The version I have does not have steel guitar solo, which I'm sure I've heard somewhere...

Thanks.

:wine

Didn't Corey Harris play on the O.G. version.Him and Jeff playing togrther makes me tingle.Sorry but I can't help at this moment.

Or maybe im thinking of that train tune from the movie.

Edited by oceanman
I love, love, love this song and wonder if some of you kind souls might send some exceptional live versions to the rest of us? Also, please recommend other artists' versions of this wonderfully sad song. The version I have does not have steel guitar solo, which I'm sure I've heard somewhere...

Thanks.

:wine

I have a Johnny Cash version of it where the chord progression is much different and the verses are totally switched around. I may dig it up later and put it up or something. But first, I gotta work for 10 hours so...maybe around midnight tonite if I remember.

It's an old song, with a new arrangement by Jeff Tweedy. Here's what Laura Cantrell has to say about it:

I first heard this song sung by Sally Timms (of the Mekons) on her album Cowboy Sally's Twilight Laments. She played it live on a visit to the Radio Thrift Shop and I sat rapt, forgetting that I was supposed to be running the show while she sang. Sally explained that Billy Bragg and Wilco discovered the lyric in the Woody Guthrie archives and Jeff Tweedy had written a beautiful melody for it. They subsequently realized that the lyric was probably a traditional song copyrighted by A.P. Carter of the Carter Family, and couldn

i think they made the right decision in leaving it off the record. the idea of mermaid avenue was that wilco and billy bragg put music to woody guthrie's lyrics. although when the roses bloom again is a great song, woody guthrie did not write the lyrics, and it was left off the album.

how can you say there is absolutely no reason for the song to be included? it fits 100% with the mood/feel/tone/etc of the album. it is one of the very best songs to come out of those sessions. just because he didn't write the lyrics doesn't mean they can't include it. it isn't "cheating" if the album is suppose to have Woody Guthrie lyrics and one song is traditional. to say that there is no reason to include it is absolutely ridiculous.

how can you say there is absolutely no reason for the song to be included? it fits 100% with the mood/feel/tone/etc of the album. it is one of the very best songs to come out of those sessions. just because he didn't write the lyrics doesn't mean they can't include it. it isn't "cheating" if the album is suppose to have Woody Guthrie lyrics and one song is traditional. to say that there is no reason to include it is absolutely ridiculous.

no it's not. the project had a specific goal, Billy and Wilco putting Woody's words to new music. it's doesn't matter if he sang this song a million times over, he didn't write it and therefore, it doesn't fit with what Mermaid Ave. was about.

Didn't really want to start a debate on merits of this song for Mermaid Ave volumes. :hmm

Just hoping some of you kind souls would post various versions....I'm slow on this score but realize this and other interesting material is on the Chelsea Walls soundtrack, which itunes no longer carries in their store! :realmad

Please, pass on any versions you can (the one I do have from one of you is 1/26/03).

:cheers

no it's not. the project had a specific goal, Billy and Wilco putting Woody's words to new music. it's doesn't matter if he sang this song a million times over, he didn't write it and therefore, it doesn't fit with what Mermaid Ave. was about.

well said, and AWATT, pm was sent

:thumbup

To say "When the Roses Bloom Again" fits well with the tone and sound of the Mermaid Ave songs is one thing; to suggest that it belongs in a collection of songs whose sole criterion for inclusion is that the lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie is another, and completely wrong.

:thumbup

To say "When the Roses Bloom Again" fits well with the tone and sound of the Mermaid Ave songs is one thing; to suggest that it belongs in a collection of songs whose sole criterion for inclusion is that the lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie is another, and completely wrong.

Your mom's lyrics were written by Woody Guthrie.

I just wanted to comment that I hope someone actually helps the original poster and links some excellent versions. Unfortunately, I do not have any on my work computer.

BTW, I agree that the song should not have been included on the Mermaid Avenue albums. That doesn't take away from the song itself.