When the Roses Bloom Again

The song is great and it should not have been included.

LouieB

I don't think your listening right, you should try harder.

Instead of bickering about whether or not a song that doesn't fit the concept of an album should be included on said album (wtf?) I'll post an mp3 of When The Roses Bloom Again from the KCRW performance that some kind soul sent me yesterday. Click here! I hope that works!

Instead of bickering about whether or not a song that doesn't fit the concept of an album should be included on said album (wtf?) I'll post an mp3 of When The Roses Bloom Again from the KCRW performance that some kind soul sent me yesterday. Click here! I hope that works!

Thanks much for this nice version. Thank you. I'm happy. :lol

It is my favourite song from those whole sessions so I too would like it to have been included. I thought the criterion for the project was that they would put music to songs that Woody had only written the lyrics down to. However, seeing as how Hoodoo Voodoo was recorded by Woody and available on the album "Songs to Grow on for Mother and Child" as the song "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" they kind of broke these rules slightly. I don't see why they didn't break them slightly more and release When The Roses Bloom Again seeing as how great it turned out. Jeff did say in the documentary Man In The Sand that he thought Woody would have just chosen the songs that didn't suck, after all.

Anyway, it's available on Chelsea Wall OS, so not too bigger reason to complain. Greenback Dollar (from the same sessions) isn't available and that song should be, so there is more to complain about there I think.

What I don't understand is that Johnny Cash recorded this many years before Wilco's version, and while it is different, it's not that different. The melody is very similar. Yet, the story is that Jeff discovered the lyrics and thought it was Woody Guthry's, and proceeded to write chords/melody for it. Clearly he would have had to have heard earlier versions of it.

Edited by ben
  • 5 months later...