Dreamer in my Dreams

So I'm listening to Dreamer in my Dreams right now and I've been wondering about the progression of this song. It seems a very dark song to me, with blisters on brains and hanging from a beam, etc. But my silly question is this: was the ending of the song all improvised? After the coughing, which I assume is Jay, and the fiddle and piano that seems to keep the song from ending, are the lyrics also improvised??? Does anyone but me care? I'm not a musician so have no clue about how these things develop but assume Jeff's making it up as the song moves along...

He's hanging from a belt

He don't know what he's done

Just don't forget to say goodbye when he's gone

So I'm listening to Dreamer in my Dreams right now and I've been wondering about the progression of this song. It seems a very dark song to me, with blisters on brains and hanging from a beam, etc. But my silly question is this: was the ending of the song all improvised? After the coughing, which I assume is Jay, and the fiddle and piano that seems to keep the song from ending, are the lyrics also improvised??? Does anyone but me care? I'm not a musician so have no clue about how these things develop but assume Jeff's making it up as the song moves along...

He's hanging from a belt

He don't know what he's done

Just don't forget to say goodbye when he's gone

I tend to think it was planned more or less that way. I suppose it's possible that it happened spontaneously in the recording studio and the band went on to perform it that way, false endings and all. But it doesn't seem likely to me.

I think the lyrics clearly reflect Jeff's doubts about his role as song writer and family man...

In Kot's "Learning How to Die" he spends a whole section explaining this song. I can't remember exactly what it said, but something to the effect that either all of, or majority of the ending was improvised... including jay's piano parts (jay had just started seriously playing piano on that record). The reason behind this is because I think Jeff wrote this song the morning that they recorded it and they never really worked out an ending before taping. I do remember Kot talking about how everything towards the end of the song was not only improvised but pretty choatic; jeff 'smashes' his guitar and in the process knocks over his mic, therefore forcing him to sing through the piano microphone. Im sure there was more to it, but right now I can't seem to recall all the details...I apologize if I messed any of story up, I read the book in the beginnng of the summer...

Edited by morelikethemoon
In Kot's "Learning How to Die" he spends a whole section explaining this song. I can't remember exactly what it said, but something to the effect that either all of, or majority of the ending was improvised... including jay's piano parts (jay had just started seriously playing piano on that record). The reason behind this is because I think Jeff wrote this song the morning that they recorded it and they never really worked out an ending before taping. I do remember Kot talking about how everything towards the end of the song was not only improvised but pretty choatic; jeff 'smashes' his guitar and in the process knocks over his mic, therefore forcing him to sing through the piano microphone. Im sure there was more to it, but right now I can't seem to recall all the details...I apologize if I messed any of story up, I read the book in the beginnng of the summer...

I thought they hung up a microphone in the middle of the room and Jeff just shouted across the room into it for the vocals?

For many years I lived in a Being There cocoon, not knowing anything else about Wilco, and not particularly caring -- BT was keeping me happy. I used to listen to BT over and over while I sat at the torch in my freezing basement cranking out glass stuff, and always thought that DIMDreams had to be the best album-ending song in history. I'd still love to hear them end a show with it.

One of my all time favorites (and it doesn't get much love, sadly, so its nice to see this song get a thread). Thanks for this recording--I like it. I would also love to hear a full band version, if anyone has one. (I saw the band once during the BT era, but don't remember them playing it and have never heard a 'live' version before)

Thanks for the link. My favorite version of DIMD is the 2/15/97 Irving Plaza performance. Second to last song of an absolutely raucous performance and band ripped it up. I doubt I will ever see any incarnation of Wilco put on a better show than the one they gave that night.

Is that the deli tray night?

I have an mpeg of them doing Dreamer from that show - I think JHamm posted it. I can put it up tomorrow.

The noise at the end is Jay slamming the piano lid down. You then hear him say "That's it! That's the take!"

That's what I have always thought. Also, does M. Ward's "Big Boat" remind anybody of this song? I kind of thought it was an M. Ward tip of the hat to that song.

my favourite version is from park west, 13 sep 2000

its a solo jeff show and he plays the song alone with electric guitar.. i'll post it when i get home if i remember. at the end of it he says "man i love playing electric guitar - its like finger painting to me" :lol

One of my favorites as well. reminds me of "Stay With Me," by The Faces. I think I would just about die if I was at a Wilco show and they played it. Excellent ending to a perfect record.

my favourite version is from park west, 13 sep 2000

its a solo jeff show and he plays the song alone with electric guitar.. i'll post it when i get home if i remember. at the end of it he says "man i love playing electric guitar - its like finger painting to me" :lol

First Tweedy/Wilco show I ever attended. Dozens have followed.

:rock