Golden Smog

Jeff was in fact there for the whole show. They played for about 2 hours I think, it was incredible.

Looking Forward to Seeing You

You Make it Easy

V

To Call My Own

East to Be Hard

Can't Keep From Talking

Long Time Ago

Glad & Sorry

Ill Fated

5-22-02

Never Felt Before

Starman

Frying Pan Eyes

Jennifer Save Me

Lost Love

Hurricane

Won't Be Coming Home

Red Headed Stepchild

Beautiful Mind

He's A Dick

If I Only Had A Car

Corvette

Radio King (Gary & Jeff only)

Listen Joe

Dang Me

Revolution Blues

Until You Came Along

:rock

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been listening to those songs and wondering what it was/is like for so many years now. it was definitely a night to remember.

it would ahve been great to see Strangers and Pecan Pie, but I figure we've seen Pecan Pie before, so no real loss there. The rest were awesome - I loved the new songs more than i thought I liked them - they rocked out, and then moment's like Jeff's Spanish solo on Listen Joe was beautiful and moving.

The old ones - man, I could have gone home after V. I used to listen to that song on repeat for entire afternoons.

I loved the end of Glad and Sorry. Then again, harmonizing with Gary - and Jeff at that - is never something I turn away.

:) :) going to bed with such a fun night running through my head. so nice to finally put some bones underneath the flesh i really took a liking to...

that show meant a lot to me. if I hadn't seen them 10 years ago, who knows if I'd even be sitting here typing in this forum right now. getting into the music and the bands that Golden Smog introduced me to, lead me to the place where I'd meet the woman who would become my wife, and also lead me to a lot of really cool people.

it might seem silly, but in a weird way I owe a lot of where my life is today to that band. and they fucking rocked my socks off tonight!

thanks guys.

The old ones - man, I could have gone home after V. I used to listen to that song on repeat for entire afternoons.

I still do that with "Until You Came Along." :blush

And as much as I love coastal living, I wish we got more Kraig Johnson face time out here.

Thanks for the reports, guys.

Yeah, that was the best moment for me tonight, with Can't Keep From Talking a close second.

So many great moments, but "Until You Came Along" was just fantastic. I think everyone from both bands was onstage, Blake joined in for a chorus and was clapping into one of the horn microphones in the back, I think Peter Anderson was shaking (what looked like) an orange the whole time like a maraca ... so much fun.

loved it. the crowd was a bit thin, but those that were there were spirited. the band looked to be in high spirits and gave all of us a hell of a show.

i know...kraig. does that guy age at all?

the highlight for me was jeff's spanish-style solo on listen joe...his guitar playing skills continue to get better and better. jeff always impresses me in an environment like this as well. he could have been "out front" a lot more, but instead was content to do his thing and step back, letting the others shine.

great to see so many VC people representing...i love you guys. :cheekkiss

Kyle, I loved it ... bought and listened to the CD on the drive home.

I loved the whole evening for all the reasons people have mentioned above.

Especially "Listen Joe" ... :wub

And I must say that "Starman" blew me away because it was so unexpected. If only I'd thought to call Erin (she's a big Bowie fan) in time. :hmm Dang!

But I did manage a call to Ms. Yvon during "Listen Joe" :)

that was a really great show. btw, it was taped for a wxrt sunday night concert so, at some point, a professionalish mix will be around (but i'm guessing minus a couple songs).

on another note:

dear B.O. king of the universe standing next to me,

please make your self known (but do not raise your hand) so that i may mail you a lifetime supply of Degree. that was the most offensive stench i have experienced in quite some time.

thanks.

it was amazing, and great to see them again, but doesn't it bother anyone, if ever so slightly, that jeff isn't in the band full-time? i know schedules and comittments make things difficult, but it just seems like the whole idea of golden smog was that they would get together when they could all get together for shows, even if it meant only a few shows a decade. i'm probably over-reacting, and it's probably been brought up a million times before, but it just takes a very small, almost imperceptible thrill out of the whole experience for me, knowing the other guys have been playing and building up shows together without jeff. but, having said that, i'll take what i can get, and to hear radio king, can't keep from talking, etc. with the smog is always special beyond words.

that show meant a lot to me. if I hadn't seen them 10 years ago, who knows if I'd even be sitting here typing in this forum right now. getting into the music and the bands that Golden Smog introduced me to, lead me to the place where I'd meet the woman who would become my wife, and also lead me to a lot of really cool people.

it might seem silly, but in a weird way I owe a lot of where my life is today to that band. and they fucking rocked my socks off tonight!

thanks guys.

:worship :worship :worship

but doesn't it bother anyone, if ever so slightly, that jeff isn't in the band full-time?
He played with them last night.....that was great.

This was the end of what seems to have been a fairly short tour and it was quite a night. And to think I nearly blew this one off too....

It was kind of like a meeting of the tribes and pulling out a bunch of oldies (as well as some new stuff.) Tim's set was good, beginning with the Everly Brothers (thanks Jen) and ending with Tom Rush. This was one of those shows that was magical all the way through, since it could have been fairly routine, but Jeff showing up and playing as much as he did (far more than I thought he would) made it exceptional. I do hope a really high quality tape makes the rounds because people will want to hear it.

It was great seeing everyone and hanging both outside and in and despite the smallish crowd, it couldn't have been more fun. The rumor on the outside was it was sold out due to Jeff's appearance, but clearly that was not true. Even the main floor was not packed and the balcony was 2/3 or more empty. That was okay though, the enthusiasm and interest of the crowd and the long and comprehensive set thrilled everyone.

Only one small complaint - after all these years seeing shows I still can't figure out why sound people can't mix in keyboards better. From where I was standing, the keyboards were MIA, lost in the bass, drums guitar mix. Also there was little point (sadly) in bringing in a horn section, because they also couldn't be heard.

LouieB