Raise a glass to the 1970s

Right now, I'm in a 70s phase. Everything 70s.

Mostly Bowie, Neil, Costello, The Clash, Springsteen. But also Roxy Music, Eno, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti), T. Rex, Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Sly, Nick Drake, Blondie, Pere Ubu etc. I'm also developing an unhealthy obsession with the disco beat; even though I think most disco is kind of meh, when employed right, the disco beat makes me quiver and shake.

I should've been born in 1955. Discuss the 70s here. Everything 70s. the early 70s folk, glam, kraut-rock, punk, post-punk, funk, soul, whatever. The 70s own me right now.

Uh... Yeah, about that whole "70's being the best decade for music" thing. I'm gonna have to go ahead and respectfully disagree and probably list it at no higher than 3rd since the 1950's, and if the 00's keep up, it'll be lucky to be 4th.

What was it? Do you still have it? Do you still listen to it? How has it held up over 32 years.

Of course I still have it - as well as all the albums I have ever got.

It is - The Jackson Five - Stand, and it was purchased at a supermarket.

I have not played it in many years.

The Greatest Song of the Greatest Decade:

She was black as the night

Louie was whiter than white

Danger, danger when you taste brown sugar

Louie fell in love overnight

Nothing bad, it was good

Louie had the best girl he could

When he took her home

To meet his mama and papa

Louie knew just where he stood

Louie Louie Louie, Louie

Louie Louie Lou-I

Louie Louie Louie

Louie Louie you're gonna cry

There he stood in the night

Knowing what's wrong from what's right

He took her home to meet his mama and papa

Man, he had a terrible fright

Louie nearly caused a scene

Wishin' it was a dream

Ain't no diff'rence if you're black or white

Brothers, you know what I mean

Louie Louie Louie, Louie

Louie Louie Lou-I

Louie Louie Louie

Louie Louie you're gonna cry

Right now, I'm in a 70s phase. Everything 70s.

Mostly Bowie, Neil, Costello, The Clash, Springsteen. But also Roxy Music, Eno, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti), T. Rex, Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Sly, Nick Drake, Blondie, Pere Ubu etc. I'm also developing an unhealthy obsession with the disco beat; even though I think most disco is kind of meh, when employed right, the disco beat makes me quiver and shake.

I should've been born in 1955. Discuss the 70s here. Everything 70s. the early 70s folk, glam, kraut-rock, punk, post-punk, funk, soul, whatever. The 70s own me right now.

Anyone seen the ad for the Midnight Special DVD collection? Looks pretty good, Bowie, Kiss, Blondie, Doobies, Steve Martin, George Carlin, Aretha, Spinners, Van Morrison, Richard Pryor, tons of others. It was a pretty good decade.

I can't think of the 70s as one decade to be viewed as a whole. Not with the big fault line that opened up around 1976/7, and all the consequent arguments between the Zeppelin/Floyd/Yes crowd and the New Wave that rose up against it. There was a definite them and us situation between our year at school and the previous year. I'm still too affected to listen to Pink Floyd and the like :P Before New Wave hit, I had gone back to the 60s and early 70s for Beatles/Stones/Faces for the majority of my listening.

Okay.. a Louie song...not bad...

LouieB

The only Stand I know is the one by Sly and the Family Stone....

LouieB

I think what I have is actually this album - Goin' Back to Indiana - but repackaged on some budget label:

I Want You Back

Maybe Tomorrow

Day Basketball Was Saved

Stand!

I Want to Take You Higher

Feelin' Alright

Medley: Walk On/The Love You Save/Goin' Back to Indiana

the one I have

I Want You Back

Maybe Tomorrow

Day Basketball Was Saved

Stand!

I Want to Take You Higher

Feelin' Alright

Medley: Walk On / The Love You Save/Goin' Back to Indiana

Really, I never got out of my 70's phase.

Although I have got into various things over the years, metal, alt-country, etc. When it comes down to it - I prefer to listen to rock music made between 1965-1975 or so.

Anyone seen the ad for the Midnight Special DVD collection? Looks pretty good, Bowie, Kiss, Blondie, Doobies, Steve Martin, George Carlin, Aretha, Spinners, Van Morrison, Richard Pryor, tons of others. It was a pretty good decade.

you can find a lot of those on torrent sites

I did know about this - I don't think.

I've always said '72 was the best year for albums

Europe 72

Dark Side (released in '73) But Eclipse and others played heavly, most recording done in '72)

Exile on main Street

HarvestT

Thick as a brick

Can't Buy a thrill (first album)

ziggy Stardust

Rio Grande Mud( the only ZZ Top album to own)

Eat a Peach

Talking Book Stevie Wonder

Machine Head DP

School's Out Alice Cooper

Let's stay together The Rev. Al Green

Garcias first solo album

Closer to The Edge Yes

I'm Sure their is more?

I've always said '72 was the best year for albums

Europe 72

Dark Side (released in '73) But Eclipse and others played heavly, most recording done in '72)

Exile on main Street

HarvestT

Thick as a brick

Can't Buy a thrill (first album)

ziggy Stardust

Rio Grande Mud( the only ZZ Top album to own)

Eat a Peach

Talking Book Stevie Wonder

Machine Head DP

School's Out Alice Cooper

Let's stay together The Rev. Al Green

Garcias first solo album

Closer to The Edge Yes

I'm Sure their is more?

Mott The Hoople

For me the 70s are significant because of the awesome divergence of popular music styles -- rock, hard rock, disco, bubblegum, motown, philly soul, the beatles -- that began in the 60s and really accelerated in the 70s. It was also the decade that I moved from listening to "Rubber Ducky" on a 45-rpm to listening to Zeppelin on FM radio stations coming out of NYC. My musical tastes really froze during the late 80s and early 90s, but in the 70s I would listen to anything and everything and loved it all.

60s

although i think Exile is the greatest and Zep hit their prime during the 70s, rock used half the decade to become bloated monstrocities. not to even bring up soft rock and disco.

the 60s had so much more to offer from rock to pop, jazz to blues, ska to reggae. folk, country and gospel too. the changes, strides and revolutions within each genre have been unmatched since. the 70s had moments where all that change and progess was refined and developed to near perfection but a lot of it was bastardized as well.