Octoberquest 2006

"'Scuse me?"

Fair point... forgot about him. Obvious oversight.

And its also true that Moneyball never said that stats are the only thing that matters. But Moneyball did stand for the general premise that at the end of the day, the fairest and most honest judge of talent is the stats. So my clumsily argued point was that I agree that Cabrera has better stats, but that I might still prefer a gritty/hustling type -- e.g., Wright.

I'm curious to see if they can turn the intensity back on for a playoff run.

Its very rare that teams can do this. And its why I have very low expectations for them now. Pedro is not helping matters. Sometimes I really hate my favorite team.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my personal postseason award choices I'll go with

AL

MVP Santana

Cy Young Santana

Manager Leyland

Rookie Liriano

Rolaids KRod

Comeback Frank Thomas

NL

MVP Howard

Cy Young Webb

Manager Girardi

Rookie Sanchez

Rolaids T-Hoff (yeah, thats right. I said it)

Comeback Nomah

I'll get in on this:

AL

MVP: Johan

Cy: Johan

ROY: Verlander

Manager: Leyland will win, but I think Gardenhire might be more deserving

Comeback: Thomas

NL

MVP: I don't buy the argument that the MVP has to come from a good team, so I'd give it to Soriano. Of the playoff (or potential playoff) teams, I'd give it to Pujols, but it will probably go to Howard

Cy: Webb

ROY: Uggla

Manager: Girardi

Comeback: Sure, give it to Nomar

I love this time of year: Yankees and some Sam Adam's OctoberFest beer. But this year I will probably drink a lot more New Castle since I think their quality has returned to previous years after a slump. I love that the Yankees are there every year too.

Duque, Glavine, Trachsel and hmm ... John Maine, I guess.

Pedro's done. Sorry to the Mets fans. :ohwell

When they announced on the news that Pedro was out for good, my wife immediately looked at me and said "You cursed them, didn't you?" My favorite team was been crappy for about a decade now, so I jumped on the Mets bandwagon earlier this year. Sorry, I didn't know the curse would follow me, I swear! :lol

Then again, Pedro hasn't been himself for a while, so maybe it will be one less distraction to know for sure that he's out rather than wondering.

YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!

Y'know, I was hoping this would be the one fucking year we didn't have to say that.

In other news, vibes, please, for Buck O'Neil.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Negro leagues great Buck O'Neil took a turn for the worse late Thursday but was resting comfortably in a Kansas City hospital Friday, friends said.

The 94-year-old O'Neil was admitted to the hospital Sept. 17 with extreme fatigue. O'Neil, one of the driving forces in the creation of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, has lost his voice and can only whisper.

Bob Kendrick, marketing director for the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City, said Friday that since O'Neil took a turn for the worse Thursday night there had been no change in his condition.

"The last report I got was that he was still very much aware of what's going on around him," Kendrick said. "We hope that remains the same and the outlook will be good."

A former Negro leagues batting champion and player-manager with the Kansas City Monarchs, O'Neil holds many distinctions in his long career. In February, he fell one vote short of induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press