Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he should've been looked at last year for sure. He's a former member of the Marlins organization, and he's young enough to create the same type of bond Girardi had (I hope). He's certainly my number 1 choice with Girardi gone now.

The Marlins do not need a manager. We have one already, and in my opinion (and many other marlins fans) it was the guy who should have been chosen last year.

(Fredi Gonzalez)

What about Alou?? I read that he wanted to either head to Florida or go back home to the DR.

What about Alou?? I read that he wanted to either head to Florida or go back home to the DR.

I don't like the idea of an old manager taking control of the team. I mean, we had Leyland in 1998 and that was just terrible.

i hope girardi decides he would rather manage next year than wait for the yankees job.

the cubs sure do need him. :pray

The Cubs don't have anywhere near the talent level the Marlins did, and I saw numerous occasions where Girardi proved he wasn't a good ingame manager. He's a good mediator. A lot like Girardi. He lets the players win the game, and just keeps them in check. I doubt he'd be a miracle worker for the Cubs.

i bet girardi never had a set of dugout dice created for him. surely he could get the cubs to play fundamental baseball?

someone who could get the cubs to win probably does not exist.

someone who could get the cubs to win probably does not exist.

I could do it, but Cubs fans wouldn't like it much.

First task: knock down Wrigley. I love the place, but I'm convinced that they'll never win a World Series as long as they still play there. Of course, I thought the same thing about the Red Sox and Fenway, so I'm clearly an idiot.

I'm convinced that they'll never win a World Series as long as they still play there.

How come?

Anyone think that the next manager of the Nats might be Dusty Baker?

Please God no. I think Girardi might be a good fit tho.

How come?

Because the ownership doesn't have to worry about fielding a winning team so long as everyone regards that stadium as sacred -- it'll sell out for virtually every game regardless of the quality of the onfield product. Build a new stadium and you force the team to earn its fans.

I know, it's a crappy reason to demolish Wrigley, but nothing else they've tried has worked.

The thing is, they spend the money. It's not like the ownership isn't willing to put up the money necessary to field a winning team, they're just not competent at spending that money wisely. This year they had the 7th highest payroll in baseball, ahead of 5 of the 8 playoff teams.

Edited by MrRain422
The thing is, they spend the money. It's not like the ownership isn't willing to put up the money necessary to field a winning team, they're just not competent at spending that money wisely. This year they had the 7th highest payroll in baseball, ahead of 5 of the 8 playoff teams.

the cubs have spent the money lately, but for the longest time, they would not even do that. (i.e. getting dawson because he gave them a signed contract with a blank for his salary)

although looking back at last offseason, it now seems stupid to have paid $26 million for two middle relievers.

if Wood and Prior are healthy next year, however, the sky is the limit. :dance

if Wood and Prior are healthy next year, however, the sky is the limit. :dance

Are you high? You'll get more innings out of Grover Cleveland Alexander and Chief Bender than those two.

maybe a little.

Smoke more! No point in being half-high! :shifty

Yay baseball playoffs! I am so not leaving the house tomorrow after 1 p.m.

I am so heading to a bar with my laptop and pretending to work tomorrow after 1 p.m.

Florida Marlins Fire Manager Girardi

MIAMI -- Florida Marlins manager Joe Girardi was fired Tuesday, a move that had been expected after his rift with owner Jeffrey Loria boiled over in an on-the-field confrontation two months ago. Girardi lost his job even though he's considered a strong candidate for NL manager of the year. The Marlins had baseball's youngest team and lowest payroll at $15 million, but Girardi led them to a 78-84 record, and they were in contention for a playoff berth until a late-September fade.

So there's that...

Joe did not deserve that fate. He's gonna be great with the Cubs.

Maybe if Rich Hill really is as good as he looked in September, andFelix Pie lives up to expectations, and a hundred other huge "maybe's" they might be competitive in a few years, but realistically this team is in shambles.