2006 Vh1 Hip Hop Honors

Very, very nice list of honorees this year...big fan of each and every one of them. Bambaataa was total pioneer, Lyte has always been one of my favorite female MC's, Rakim undeniably one of the best MC's EVER and the Beastie Boys went from a borderline novetly act to take the sound into so many other directions.

De La Soul still notably absent from the last three shows, but my guess is with the Beasties up this year...it's gotta' be on deck for next.

I'm stoked Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson is acting as Hip-Hop Honors' Musical Director and Looks like the performers are:

Common :)

Da Brat

Diddy

Erykah Badu

Fat Joe

George Clinton :)

KRS-One :)

Lil Jon

Lil' Kim

Remy Ma

Talib Kweli :)

The Roots :)

Q-Tip :)

Xzibit

Young Jeezy

Going to be hard to top the Roots/Common/Kane throwdown from last year, but I see some interesting potential from a collab amongst any of those w/ the smiley faces...Tip obviously on point to do something for the Beasties and Talib did tour w/ them last go around as well. GEORGE FUCKING CLINTON!

This year's honorees include Wu-Tang Clan, Afrika Bambaataa, Russell Simmons, MC Lyte, Rakim, Beastie Boys and Eazy E. The music and influence of each of the honorees will be recognized through performances by classic artists in collaboration with today's hottest new talent. The star-studded event is slated to take place at the famed Hammerstein Ballroom on Saturday, October 7, 2006 and will be broadcast on VH1 on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 8PMET.

Hip Hop Honors Week will kick off on Thursday, October 12 with Education Day, where famed hip hop artists will work with kids in New York City's public schools. Day two, Friday, will be Restaurant Day during which restaurants in all five boroughs will feature special discounts and promotions and play hip hop music throughout the week. On Music and Culture Day - Saturday, October 14 - hip hop artists and DJs will perform in clubs citywide, and New Yorkers will be able to enjoy special events and promotions at City's famed cultural organizations. Sunday, October 15 will be Sports and Parks Day, when hip hop legends will take the field and join the famous New York City sports scene. New Yorkers can look forward to fun activities connected to our local sports teams that which will offer fans the opportunity to get up and close with their favorite stars. On Monday, October 16- Fashion and Shopping Day - New Yorkers will find exciting events in the fashion community where hip hop has set trends and become a global craze. And, finally, 'VH1 Hip Hop Honors" Week will end with "Hip Hop Honors" Day on Tuesday, October 17, when viewers can tune in to VH1 and see Ice-T host the broadcast of the 3rd Annual "VH1 Hip Hop Honors. "

All I know, is that this thing continues to impress me year after year and I look forward to it coming round.

who will be catering the bitches, foties, blunts and bling for this event?

you have no idea what you're talking about. and you know I had to go pilfer YouTube. Some of my favorite jams from the honorees...

Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump

Eric B & Rakim-Micraphone Fiend

Afrika Bambaataa & SoulSonic Force - Looking For The Perfect Beat

Ice Cube - Jackin 4 Beats

MC Lyte - Cha Cha Cha

Wu Tang - Gravel Pit

Eazy E-We Want Eazy

Bonus Cut (a vid that shows bigger pimpin' than Jay-Z could ever muster):

Eric B. & Rakim - Don't Sweat The Technique

ok.

I have to think that the Tribe as a whole will be inducted sometime soon.

Jarobi was only on the first album so i wonder if he gets in. Jarobi falls into the same category as Sudden Impact for me and my buds. We always laughed at him. Such a random unnecessary member of the band. Or at least thats what it seemed like. Theres one line on the first album where he raps: "and ME...Jarobi" completely out of a tune and sync. Gets a laugh everytime.

My personal favorite musical moment was when Nelly (blech) was honoring LL Cool J and then LL came out to do Mama Said Knock You Out, thereby blowing Nelly off the stage. He was fantastic and looks amazing.

My favorite thing from any of the shows in general was KRS-One rocking out to everybody on stage and especially when Fat Joe honored him.

• 3 weeks later...

Very dissapointed w/ what I saw, at least in comparison to the last two. The B-boys tribute was wack until Diddy, Fabolous and Tip left the stage, Mixmaster Mike did a tight turntable mix of choice cuts and then the boys actually took the stage to tear shit up on So Whatcha' Want and the backhalf of The New Style.

The MC Lyte deal was alright, the Roots sounded great at least. Didn't get to tune back in until they did the Bambatta tribute which wasn't as good as i'd thought it'd be, but sort of fun I guess. Then the Wu-Tang finale (which makes me want to add a sidenote that Lil John is the most annoying motherfucker in all of rap) that was pretty decent.

Bottom line, no standout shit like last year ala B-boys doing RUN DMC, PE and the shit hot Kane performance. Next year, they need to ante up w/ inductions of Tribe and De La.

Didn't get to tune back in until they did the Bambatta tribute which wasn't as good as i'd thought it'd be, but sort of fun I guess.

I'm still looking forward to that one, as I'm up to the Bam section of that Can't Stop Won't Stop book.