New Song (wreck myself?)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One think you guys DON'T have is a funny machine.

When the next Wilco record comes out, all of you who know it already sucks can go have yourselves an A.M. listening party.

Well you've been here for awhile, the time machine thing just opened itself up for a series of smartass comments. You're free to be upset about people voicing their concerns over the new material, but they're equally free to do so. Now while taking the high ground in this argument, I'd recommend not using a third grade level insult such as funny machine. It's really hard to take anything you say seriously after leading off with that.

--Mike

If I had to describe 'Either Way' or 'Impossible Germany' or 'What Light', I'd use words like "beautiful" and "human" and "passionate".

'Bombastic' isn't a word that comes to mind.

(Of course, my 3rd Grade teacher hasn't taught us that word yet. The bell just rang for recess, gotta go!)

This band is so much better at subtlety and melody than most out there, but this type of tune throws it out the window

A shame, I really had thought Hell is Chrome/Muzzle of Bees/Theologians were the harbingers of the musical sophistication these guys were going to keep giving

I'll still buy their CDs and go to shows in any event . . .

I was lukewarm on it myself, but ya gotta have some rockers. I'll wait to see how it evolves (hopefully it will). There is enough chin stroking going on. A little more booty shakin would be a good thing. :dancing Just ask my wife (she knows).

And Glenn, if you're listening, give that drum solo a little more length and bombast.

got a million better things to do

than to play rock-n-roll for you

so honey if i blow you a fuse

can i please be excused

got to wreck myself today

got to wreck myself for you

we haven't even been introduced

oh that will never do

you know a lot other people could be

standing here instead of me

singing their own sweet lines

through clenched and cracking teeth

honey if i tell you the truth

can i please be excused.

aaauuuurrrrgh lets not get carried away

there's a lot of other places to be

a lot of things i would rather be doin

a lot of songs that i'd love to sing

but i know that you would just ruin it

honey if i tell you the truth

you're not gonna like it

oh no honey, lets not get carried away.

lets not get away

come on honey, lets not get carried away...

we haven't even been introduced

( i do think its rock, not wreck)

worst wilco song ever?

Yep. Holy fuck, this is a terrible song. This album is probably going to suck, which is disappointing, but does much to prove my theory that every great band only has approximately ten good years in 'em. Wilco, welcome to your It's Only Rock and Roll era (i.e., the jumping-off point for those of us who don't follow favourite musicians blindly out of loyalty).

Edited by TheMaker

I love all the negativity going on here. It just shows how many people on here truly are music snobs and are completely opposed to an album that could actually be *gasp* fun without being at least minorly pretentious (and for the last time, pretentious is not always a bad thing).

I'm already convinced the new album will be better than AGIB, for one. I've loved pretty much every new song minus "Either Way" and "On and On," both of which have failed to show up in set lists for quite a long time.

For Rock/Wreck Myself, I love that line about singing through clenched and cracking teeth.

And as for Impossible Germany, I'm almost convinced that is my new favorite Wilco tune. That gradual build for the final few minutes of the song that leads up to that simple, but well-placed and dramatic walk-down from a G major to an E minor sends chills down my spine every time.

I also want to know who all the people are on here that are listening to mildly decent audience recordings. When you're there, it's a completely different experience. When I first got into Wilco a few months after Summerteeth came out, I wasn't impressed. The album seemed overblown and really didn't fit in with much I listened to, but after seeing them live, there was no better band. My opinion hasn't changed and I think seeing these new songs live would help.

If you have and you still don't like them at all, I don't know what to tell you. I'd imagine you to be the person skipping over I'm A Wheel and Theologians to get to Less Than You Think...for the drone. :P

I love all the negativity going on here. It just shows how many people on here truly are music snobs and are completely opposed to an album that could actually be *gasp* fun without being at least minorly pretentious (and for the last time, pretentious is not always a bad thing).

If you have and you still don't like them at all, I don't know what to tell you. I'd imagine you to be the person skipping over I'm A Wheel and Theologians to get to Less Than You Think...for the drone. :P

Actually, what the negativity over the new songs shows is that some people don't like the new songs. There's nothing inherently snobbish about not liking something. The last line of your post, however, absolutely reeks of snobbery and condescension. ;)

I dig his vocals. Pretty edgy lyrically, too.

Some of these new tunes are definitely more a retro-shake-that-thang dance groove.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Should make for a high energy album tour.

Actually, what the negativity over the new songs shows is that some people don't like the new songs. There's nothing inherently snobbish about not liking something. The last line of your post, however, absolutely reeks of snobbery and condescension. ;)

My point was that the new songs are more in the vein of Heavy Metal Drummer, I'm A Wheel, etc. It seems like more of a fun album and the critiques on here seem to be more about the lyrics, nevermind the fact that the songs are incredibly varied from stuff we've seen these guys do before (which is what everyone here seems to love them for...)

That and I can't help but laugh at TheMaker writing them off completely from one song. Now THAT cracks me up.

And the point of the last line was just that, hence the wink.

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong

My own beliefs are in my song

The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then

Makes no difference what group I'm in

I am everyday people, yeah yeah

There is a pop one who can't accept the Neu one

For living with a drone one trying to be alt-country one

And different strokes for different folks

And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee

Oh sha sha - we got to live together

I am no better and neither are you

We are the same whatever we do

You love me you hate me you know me and then

You can't figure out the bag l'm in

I am everyday people, yeah yeah

I also want to know who all the people are on here that are listening to mildly decent audience recordings. When you're there, it's a completely different experience. When I first got into Wilco a few months after Summerteeth came out, I wasn't impressed. The album seemed overblown and really didn't fit in with much I listened to, but after seeing them live, there was no better band. My opinion hasn't changed and I think seeing these new songs live would help.

Great point. There were several Wilco songs I did not like until I "experienced" them live.

I'm torn when I saw this live I thought it was great, sort of like a We've Been Had style rocker. On the first listen of the mp3, I thought it sounded like Jet on steroids. So I don't know I am going to have to sit with this one for awhile.

--Mike