New Song (wreck myself?)

This song totally rules. Don't yall love seventies rock? But seriously I feel bad that so many VC'ers are already hating an album that hasn't come out, not knowing the songs that will be on it. But on the other side of it, I think alot of the stuff we have been hearing is pretty well established in the studio already, so there might not be all that much more processing before the songs are finalized.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, im probably going to somehow save this thread. i just have a feeling when the new album comes out, most of the people who are saying the new album will suck will love the album and thats when i will be posting all of the negative comments about the new wilco stuff

ok, im probably going to somehow save this thread. i just have a feeling when the new album comes out, most of the people who are saying the new album will suck will love the album and thats when i will be posting all of the negative comments about the new wilco stuff

I think there's a little overreaction on both ends. These songs are still works in progress and the studio process has enhanced the majority of Wilco material that has been road tested over the years. Yet it is still people's rights to criticize the new songs, and maybe talking about the new album is a bit of strech but the songs that are being played now are likely going to provide a good chunk of it.

I am actually a fan of the majority of the new stuff, Let's Not Get Carried Away kicks ass live, but listening to that recording it is a bit bombastic and for some that really loved YHF and AGIB it's going to take sometime getting used to the new direction. Walken is great, I really like Either Way, and Impossible Germany. What Light is a fine tune and I actually enjoy On and On and On. The other stuff has kind of been hit and miss for me. That doesn't mean I think the new album is going to suck, it means everything hasn't quite grabbed me yet. And in all honesty I do like the new songs, but I am not sure that any of them are better then the great songs on Ghost.

But if I, or the Maker, or Speed Racer end up liking the record this whole "I'm going to make them eat crow" thing is a little petty. I don't think anyone has said the new album is going suck, okay yeah I did read the Maker's post, but I think Speed Racer's post really expressed my concerns the new material much better then I every could. Still given this band's track record I am thinking this one will end up similar to Born Again in the USA, it'll have some uptempo rockers but the recording process will smooth out the rough edges and if not I'll return to my snobbish ways and listen to the drone, the Wilco Book CD and the end of Poor Places on a loop and cry because the band did me wrong ;)

--Mike

most of the people who are saying the new album will suck will love the album and thats when i will be posting all of the negative comments about the new wilco stuff

you'll really show them then.

i like all the new songs, though "What light" is a little maudlin. i'm hoping "Walken" and "Is That The Thanks I Get?" make the new record, keeping my fingers crossed for those two.

Edited by tongue-tied
I think there's a little overreaction on both ends. These songs are still works in progress and the studio process has enhanced the majority of Wilco material that has been road tested over the years. Yet it is still people's rights to criticize the new songs, and maybe talking about the new album is a bit of strech but the songs that are being played now are likely going to provide a good chunk of it.

--Mike

thats my point in my last post. they are still works in progress and i think that people should be patient and wait for the finished product

you'll really show them then.

i like all the new songs, though "What light" is a little maudlin. i'm hoping "Walken" and "Is That The Thanks I Get?" make the new record, keeping my fingers crossed for those two.

With each new record, Jeff has commented that he expects the new record to bring new fans and alienate some old fans but the net result (so far) has been that more jump on than jump off. We shouldn't attack people just because it is their time to jump off.

When the next Wilco record comes out, all of you who know it already sucks can go have yourselves an A.M. listening party.

well, I love AGIB, YHF, BT & MA 1 and 2 also (notice I did not say ST)

I like most of Jeff Tweedy's other output; however, I did not like this

when the new CD comes out, I will still have a listening party with it, not AM

worst wilco song ever?

theseylrics havedef. notbeen up to par.

I haveno probelm with bands having funandd mkaing a party record. The music to many of these tracks is awesome but on a lot of the same tracks the lyrics rely on rhyming (rock myself, what light,letsfight.) out of those three id say what light is the only wone that really works. Lets fight sounds awesome but "lets fight.....tonight!" aint my cup of tea sorry. From the lyrics of rockmyself it sounds like tweedy is saying he is burnt out.

I hope this isnt mangement and the label pushing the band to put something out quickly in order to supply a demand. I don't blame jeff if this is the case i rember reading someone say that he said how sick he was of playing kingpin, io wouldnt be suprised if they are sick of all these songs, most bandsthat tour as often as wilco change their set list up more often and i dont care if wilco plays the same show everynight or what theydo i would imagine they area ll preety tired at this point and the music is starting to show it. jeff can still right great songs (look at "aFD" or"BAIUSA)

also if this record isnt amazing its no reason to jump off. Jeff has put out great albums time after time, iveyet to hear analbum he made thatididnt like. It would be nice to know he's human he wasstarting to scare me.

ETA: sorry my computers all fucked up and i didnt realize my words were running together

Edited by jc4prez

my reaction to RockMyself or whatever it is was not from a bad audience recording but was from seeing/hearing it at Tall Stacks. I just did not like it at all, plain and simple.

I also do not like On & On & On

I do, however, like Imp. Germany, Walken/Walkin' and especially Is That the Thanks I Get

people are overreacting here, we're all entitled to like or not like what we want

I don't like IATTBYH but many here think it it is up with the Rig-Vedas

I think Muzzle of Bees and Hell is Chrome are two of the best Wilco songs ever but many here think they're too boring or who knows what . . .

beats talking about the possibilty of nuclear war, I guess

Are there any other people like me who can equally drool over "Ghost", yet equally drool over the new material?

I've really enjoyed the new material for the most part. Thanks I Get is one of my favorite songs to play on the guitar and offensively sing along to lately.

I was extremely slow getting into A Ghost Is Born. Then when I saw/heard the material live it became about all I listened to for awhile. Those songs have developed quite a bit live.

The only thing that's certain about the new album is that we have no idea what it's going to sound like. I don't just mean the songs themselves, but the recording, engineering, production, etc. as well. The transition on those accounts from ST to YHF to AGIB is substantial. Why not just wait and see?

Guest Speed Racer

I am mostly tired of the criticism that those of us who don't like SOME (SOME! SOME! SOME! PLEASE READ THAT WORD AGAIN!!!!) of the new songs are unable to like 'pop' or 'rock' or shakin' loose, as the case may be.

I do like pop and 'straight up rock' but some of these songs come off as neither clever nor fun. OK Go? Fun. Belle & Sebastian? Clever and fun. I don't need drone in my life to feel complete, and I certainly don't sit around listening to melancholy shoe-gazing music all day. But a lot of the new stuff (I DID NOT SAY ALL! PLEASE READ THAT AGAIN!) isn't fun to me - I don't know, I would compare it to a laugh track as opposed to genuine laughter. It ain't the real thing to me.

Are there any other people like me who can equally drool over "Ghost", yet equally drool over the new material?

Yes. As well as just about every bit of Wilco out there.

I've heard only a little of the new matieral (Wreck Yourself, Walken/Walkin, Is That the Thanks I Get) and all of it sounds like relatively straightforward fun 'rock.' While I am a die hard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot fan and would love for album after album of that kind of challenging complex material I love rock too, and if the new Loose Fur is any indication (as well as Wilco's awsome live shows) this band can create some really solid, intricate, and exhilerating rock just as easily and well as they can make textured subtle and beautiful pieces. Do I hope some really cool complex material emerges/develops either live or in the studio, yes. Will I be happy with a very straightforward classic Wilco rock album, hell yes! To my ears Wilco has not released a dissapointing album, period, and I expect no matter what kind of album comes out it will live up to that same level of quality even if it isn't the "best" Wilco release yet.

...now if Wilco starts playing new age easy listening music my opinion on the band might change...

I am mostly tired of the criticism that those of us who don't like SOME (SOME! SOME! SOME! PLEASE READ THAT WORD AGAIN!!!!) of the new songs are unable to like 'pop' or 'rock' or shakin' loose, as the case may be.

why do you have to use such sweeping stereotypes?

Guest Speed Racer
why do you have to use such sweeping stereotypes?

In my defense, I didn't 'stereotype' anyone or anything, but was pointing out something that I feel a lot of readers have missed in my posts, and posts of others. I feel that people (*all of us*) have started creating two lumps: 'fans' and 'haters,' and I want to articulate that most of us do not dislike ALL the new songs (or, that not everyone likes every new song, to be more inclusive), merely some of them. I feel that most people responding to my posts have missed that point, so just that once I emphasized it. :cheers I *do* want to have good discussions about the new songs/new direction of Wilco, but I find it very frustrating to do so when people assume I hate *every* new song or when they assume I 'already' hate the new album. I am looking forward to it.

It sucks that, ultimately, Jeff Tweedy and his bandmates will decide what songs will be on the record.

If Wilco was smart, they'd let guys like Jethro, Wheelco, Speed Racer....etc.....decide which songs make the cut.

I just don't trust Tweedy. I mean, ok....the Tupelo records are great, as are his contributions on Golden Smog and Loose Fur, and AM, Being There, Summerteeth, YHF and AGIB are all stellar....as are both Mermaids...as are many unreleased tracks....as are his simple one-off songs like Jandek's Crack A Smile or the Zamboni Man soundtrack....and ok...big deal...he helped out a lot in making Down With Wilco great....

...but I don't know. The dude just doesn't have a good feel for music. I hope Jeff comes to his senses.

I think the song has lot's of potential. Jeff's falsetto is great on this song. But I think ultimately why everyone doesn't like this song is the guitar playing, and I somewhat agree. I would enjoy this song more if the guitar playing was more melodic. The song still has alot of room to grow.

So you haven't heard Let's Fight, I gather.

I was about to ask if I was the only one who thought that was the weakest song. Its the only one that made me go "uh oh". But really folks, whether we know what the album will be like, whether we agree, whether its gonna rule, lets not get so scared we treat each other like garbage. Whether you hate or love wilco, I love you VC (except for those who are smug and those that think my least favorite wilco album is the best one) :punch