New Song (wreck myself?)

It sucks that, ultimately, Jeff Tweedy and his bandmates will decide what songs will be on the record.

If Wilco was smart, they'd let guys like Jethro, Wheelco, Speed Racer....etc.....decide which songs make the cut.

I just don't trust Tweedy. I mean, ok....the Tupelo records are great, as are his contributions on Golden Smog and Loose Fur, and AM, Being There, Summerteeth, YHF and AGIB are all stellar....as are both Mermaids...as are many unreleased tracks....as are his simple one-off songs like Jandek's Crack A Smile or the Zamboni Man soundtrack....and ok...big deal...he helped out a lot in making Down With Wilco great....

...but I don't know. The dude just doesn't have a good feel for music. I hope Jeff comes to his senses.

You're a smug little shit.

Expressing an opinion regarding the direction one would like the band to go ≠ shitting on Wilco or Jeff. Even if it did, it wouldn't matter whether or not you agreed. Everyone is entitled to say what they do and don't like.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Holy fuck, this is a terrible song. This album is probably going to suck, which is disappointing, but does much to prove my theory that every great band only has approximately ten good years in 'em. Wilco, welcome to your It's Only Rock and Roll era (i.e., the jumping-off point for those of us who don't follow favourite musicians blindly out of loyalty).

It could be worse.

We could be entering the 035.jpg era.

or the 041.jpg era.

If Wilco was smart, they'd let guys like Jethro, Wheelco, Speed Racer....etc.....decide which songs make the cut.

True. I've already said I'd have axed Hummingbird, Company In My Back, Late Greats and Handshake Drugs from AGIB, that kind of leadership and vision takes balls the size of coconuts. :o

And FWIW, I agree with whoever said the lyrics sound like "right myself" rather than "rock myself" or the cool sounding but misguided "wreck myself".

I'm still not sure what to make of the song, it seems a bit too over-the-top tongue-in-cheek, I mean... a drum solo? :lol It's fun now but I dunno if it's the kind of thing I'd want to hear a bunch of times outside of a live setting.

The biggest difference to me with the new songs is the lyrics seem pretty sub-par compared to what we're used to from Jeff. Whatever the personal musical likes or dislikes of the people here (like with me piano songs are like kryptonite) I think we all can appreciate something as great as Hummingbird's lyrics (my dislike is for the album's fruity piano version, not the song itself). But... the new songs have been better. I'd feel much more miserable about the new record if I hadn't heard What Light (the lyrics are kinda cringey but the song as a whole I like quite a bit) and Impossible Germany.

True. I've already said I'd have axed Hummingbird, Company In My Back, Late Greats and Handshake Drugs from AGIB, that kind of leadership and vision takes balls the size of coconuts. :o >>

Company in my Back, perhaps, but the other three are pretty much integral to the context and color of the album. I don't like "On The Run", or "Any Color You Like", but why ruin the sequence of "Dark Side of the Moon" over a few songs?

{/quote]The biggest difference to me with the new songs is the lyrics seem pretty sub-par compared to what we're used to from Jeff.

Maybe as lyricists get older, they don't go off on youthful, whimsical tangents anymore?

I apologize for being a "smug little shit" in my earlier post. I tried a little sarcasm and it probably didn't come across like I hoped.

It's totally cool that we all have different opinions on Wilco's new tunes...even in this case when I disagree with those who are cold on the new songs.

I, personally, just cringe a little bit when some of us get overly critical after the first couple performances of a brand new live song. To me, it's like looking over a painter's shoulder half-way through completion and saying, "I think you could put a little more shadow on the nose"....the painter probably isn't wanting a critique yet. I love that Wilco "experiments" on stage...and with that I think we get to hear some of the warts. I agree with some that the new rocker is a tad awkward....but there's a lot there that I like.

I'm done with this thread, but for the record:

1. I think "Let's Fight" is a keeper.

2. Ditto "Impossible Germany" and "What Light".

3. "Either Way" is beautiful live....and is my favorite of the new songs.

I apologize for being a "smug little shit" in my earlier post. I tried a little sarcasm and it probably didn't come across like I hoped.

It's totally cool that we all have different opinions on Wilco's new tunes...even in this case when I disagree with those who are cold on the new songs.

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping for a long-term Hatfield-McCoy thing. Thanks for clarifying your position. :)

Company in my Back, perhaps, but the other three are pretty much integral to the context and color of the album. I don't like "On The Run", or "Any Color You Like", but why ruin the sequence of "Dark Side of the Moon" over a few songs?

I'm not a big fan of piano songs and that version of Hummingbird puts the pee in piano. I'm OK with other people loving it, I'm not out to win any converts to the jethro way, but I could do without the two piano attack. Handshake Drugs was already released before AGIB and that version isn't so amazingly better that they just had to put it out again. I'm not a huge fan of the instrumentation for Company In My Back and it seems kind of like filler anyway. Late Greats on the record is bland, boring, meh. I think removing those songs improves the sequence of the record rather than ruins it but that's just me. I do like most of those songs live, Late Greats in particular is much better now, and Hummingbird is an amazingly great song solo.

Maybe as lyricists get older, they don't go off on youthful, whimsical tangents anymore?

Saying they were sub-par maybe gives the wrong impression. Jeff has been a really gifted lyricist, he's not listed on "best living lyricist" lists for nothing. Through all of the stylistic changes that's been the constant. This new batch of songs it seems like they've given that up in favor of bland MORness. I don't hate all the new songs or anything but none of them have really blown me away like when I first heard early live versions of I'm A Wheel, Hummingbird, Spiders, Less Than You Think, At Least That's What You Said, etc.

The song will get better with age but it is really very poor. If I told somebody ,who didnt know the band, that this is a band I love and played them this song they would think I had horrible taste. they would be right. Most of us that have been loving this band for a decade will hear the similarity to hesitating rock and will think it is very poorly written. Pretty bad. Just for the record I'm with the group that does not like I'm a wheel either.

Most of us that have been loving this band for a decade will hear the similarity to hesitating rock and will think it is very poorly written. Pretty bad. Just for the record I'm with the group that does not like I'm a wheel either.

If Jeff would find some decent lyrics for the Hestitating Rock chorus, I'd much rather hear that on the new album. At least it's fun to listen to.

I'm a Wheel isn't my favorite ever, but even though the lyrics are dumb, the song does get my feet tapping. This new one doesn't - it just limps along in fits and starts.

Welcome to "Gloom and Doom" hosted by you guys...

Have a little faith in the Tweedster.

I like that, yes people have alittle faith!!

"Got a million better things to do, than play rock n' roll for you"

"A lot of songs I'd love to sing, but I know you'd just ruin it"

This makes me wonder is he saying that to "us fans" :brow

JT, you just keep on keepin' on... Not all are "shitters"...

Do ya'll remember what happened to the "shitters"? ;)

You ask a true musician, and you can almost guarantee that they will say that the piano is the most skillfully crafted instrument, and basically an instrument literally descended from the gods.

Yeah, well, give me a guitar any time for rock 'n roll.

Maddie - I too thought it seemed like kind of a shout out to fans who want them to rock more. The funny thing is, as much as the song is kind of a throwaway it'll probably still get one of the best reactions live because people like to be excited and playing slow songs doesn't do that. I'm not saying Wilco should play all fast songs, but if they had a better ratio of slow:fast then they'd probably like the crowd reaction a lot more. I mean, FFS, what kid grows up wishing he was Gordon Lightfoot?

I don't consider people who don't love everything the band does "shitters" any more than I consider the people who offer up their undying love no matter what the band puts out the knee-pad brigade. Well, OK, I do think that about some people. :)