I am trying to break your heart movie

Guest tandylacker

As far as music docs go,it's one of my favorites.I've probably watched it a half dozen times.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with the hate? I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is a great, honest, look at the music industry. It has a great story line too it (Sam Jones got incredibly lucky), it's shot beautifuly, the performaces are great, and, atleast, I think it's really interesting watching Wilco work in the studio.

No hate. It's just that, five years down the road, whining about getting screwed by a huge media comglomerate seems kinda passe. Want your label to appreciate your art? Stay away from the big labels. Sign with EnormoMediaEntertainmentProduct Enterprises at your own risk.

Plus, honestly, after seeing the movie, would you want to spend significant time with any of those guys?

No hate. It's just that, five years down the road, whining about getting screwed by a huge media comglomerate seems kinda passe. Want your label to appreciate your art? Stay away from the big labels. Sign with EnormoMediaEntertainmentProduct Enterprises at your own risk.

Plus, honestly, after seeing the movie, would you want to spend significant time with any of those guys?

Meh, I think the whole corporate ineptitude in the music industry is just as relevant these days (take for instance the Sony digital rights management fiasco...) it's suprising to me, but probably shouldn't be, that these companies will continue their chances to score solid and long-term profitable artists. Oh well. Wilco is on Nonesuch, and Nonesuch releases good music.

After seeing the movie I definitely did hang out with most of Wilco and it got me really excited about them again.

Seeing IATTBYH (the film) actually got me into Wilco. I was never a fan of their studio albums. Plus, I had a few friends that kept telling me they were greater than sliced bread. Needless to say, it sort of put me off.

Once I saw them perform live in the film, I finally realized how wrong I was & how amazing they are!

As far as I am concerned, they are at their best live...& the film helped me realize that.

That's my two cents...

Glad the album holds up better than the movie.

"Whaa, whaa, we got dropped. Don't they realize how great we are?"

The DVD extras are very cool, though.

Well...it was an extremly short sighted move on WB's part.

However, the bad publicity and ensuing shitstorm in the rock press has probably kept The Flaming Lips from facing the same fate.

This is my first post, so hello to everybody!

I saw the movie in the theater, loved it... I bought the DVD, loved it more (I'm a pretty big fan of extras, who isn't?) I was wondering if anybody had a copy of IATTBYH, the solo performance that opens the movie, or the rocking version of Kamera? I'd like to have these on a disk.

Anyway, my only problem with the movie is when they start interviewing that daft prick from Rolling Stone, Robert Fricke or whatever his name is... You will soon discover that I'm not too keen on music critics/mags, etc... Esp. Rolling Stone! So, Mr. Fricke really likes Wilco, eh? Name 5 songs that's NOT on YHF! I bet he can't. He loves Wilco because Wilco pleases the critics. It's their "indie" band that, all of a sudden, does no wrong!

Back when I was a young lad, and I took everything that Rolling Stone wrote to be the bible truth, I remember when Wilco released AM, Being There, and Summerteeth... I think at BEST Being There got like 3 1/2 stars, and the others got 3. While other sub-par albums were getting the 4 1/2 stars. (Nirvana's "In Utero", Primus' "Pork Soda," etc...)

Fast-Forward to 2002, the year of the corporate hate... YHF got the love it deserved, 4 1/2 stars or whatever, and Ghost got the very same. Hence, Wilco became the darlings of Corporate Rock America! Because they were "big" enough to be heard of, but now, their indie label status made all the lightbulbs flash inside the heads of all the so-called journalists, as if to say... "Hey, these guys are good after all! Let's all jump on the Wilco bandwagon and give them all the love they need!" Well, you may love them now, but you're getting no love from this Wilco fan!

So, tell me, Mr. Rolling Stone Reporter, how many stars did you give No Depression, or Still Feel Gone? Oh, you've never heard of those albums? For shame! What about March? Really, it was produced by Peter Buck, and I know you all love REM... Nothing? OK, how about Anodyne? Really, you were about to give out some love, but they broke up, so it doesn't really matter?

In closing, I'm actually a very nice guy, but if the music sounds good, listen to it, and if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't listen to mag's like Rolling Stone and Spin to get the inside scoop on music... Because Journalism degree or not, it's still just a matter of opinion.

I've watched it an uncountable number of times... friends you have to educate them. I especially like when they think this was filmed in the 30s or 40s due to the black and white.

And what's up this Wilco being indie bullshit. They were never indie ever. Go look at the labels on AM.

This is my first post, so hello to everybody!

I saw the movie in the theater, loved it... I bought the DVD, loved it more (I'm a pretty big fan of extras, who isn't?) I was wondering if anybody had a copy of IATTBYH, the solo performance that opens the movie, or the rocking version of Kamera? I'd like to have these on a disk.

Anyway, my only problem with the movie is when they start interviewing that daft prick from Rolling Stone, Robert Fricke or whatever his name is... You will soon discover that I'm not too keen on music critics/mags, etc... Esp. Rolling Stone! So, Mr. Fricke really likes Wilco, eh? Name 5 songs that's NOT on YHF! I bet he can't. He loves Wilco because Wilco pleases the critics. It's their "indie" band that, all of a sudden, does no wrong!

Back when I was a young lad, and I took everything that Rolling Stone wrote to be the bible truth, I remember when Wilco released AM, Being There, and Summerteeth... I think at BEST Being There got like 3 1/2 stars, and the others got 3. While other sub-par albums were getting the 4 1/2 stars. (Nirvana's "In Utero", Primus' "Pork Soda," etc...)

Fast-Forward to 2002, the year of the corporate hate... YHF got the love it deserved, 4 1/2 stars or whatever, and Ghost got the very same. Hence, Wilco became the darlings of Corporate Rock America! Because they were "big" enough to be heard of, but now, their indie label status made all the lightbulbs flash inside the heads of all the so-called journalists, as if to say... "Hey, these guys are good after all! Let's all jump on the Wilco bandwagon and give them all the love they need!" Well, you may love them now, but you're getting no love from this Wilco fan!

So, tell me, Mr. Rolling Stone Reporter, how many stars did you give No Depression, or Still Feel Gone? Oh, you've never heard of those albums? For shame! What about March? Really, it was produced by Peter Buck, and I know you all love REM... Nothing? OK, how about Anodyne? Really, you were about to give out some love, but they broke up, so it doesn't really matter?

In closing, I'm actually a very nice guy, but if the music sounds good, listen to it, and if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Don't listen to mag's like Rolling Stone and Spin to get the inside scoop on music... Because Journalism degree or not, it's still just a matter of opinion.

I was with you until your mention of Uncle Tupelo albums. What does that have to do with anything?

Well, actually your post is filled with inaccuracies, but your gusto sure echoes all the lame uber-critical negativity that overwhelms music criticism today, of which you say you dislike. See attached link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/240156/being_there

That is actually the review RollingStone gave "Being There" and I remember reading it at the time...it getting the coveted first review and prime billing. You'll notice they actually name drop "No Depression" in the review. This review was actually written by Greg Kot of IATTBYH fame and is informative and well-written. In RollingStone no Wilco record ever received less than 3 and 1/2 stars and Primus' "Pork Soda" received 3 stars actually.

Personally, I find Gret Kot much more annoying (due to an obvious personal bias, which is fine, but shouldn't be presented as objective) than David Fricke in the movie who I think makes some very valid points about consumer culture and evolving (or devolving) musical trends. To my knowledge, no one ever came up with the source of his alleged quote about Wilco being the best band of all time. I can't understand why there's all the hate thrown out at Fricke and RollingStone unless it stems from a "we're cooler than that" attitude.

I'll grant that RollingStone has rightly taken a credibility hit over the last few years due to changing their format (shorter articles for flagging attention spans (hello Fricke)) and always putting the latest scantily clad, movie-star nimphette on the cover, but if you actually look inside the magazine and move beyond the tired littany of "RollingStone sucks man" comments, you'll find some of the best News writing and important political coverage out there right now. I don't think it's a case of all or nothing...but if you look under the cover there are some redeemable parts to the magazine.

The leader of a band called Wilco seems to find something of value in RollingStone. He references one of their articles on the Hotel S n' S recording.

I could keep on going, but I think I'll just leave it at that. Stepping down from my soapbox now.

If the criticism reads good, read it, and if you don't like it, don't read it. It's all just a matter of opinion.