Huntsville, AL 10-9-06 setlist

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a little sony point and shoot digital (my wife's camera)

nice, i was 2nd row dead center. i got a few good pics with my canon point and shoot. i think i was too close though, if thats possible for pictures. i have some good ones though. may post some here later, or a link at least.

Am I the only one who thought the show wasn't great? Not that it was bad, they're fine musicians with great material, but compared to past shows, it felt to me like they were going through the motions a bit. I've seen them 7 or 8 times, and they've always exhibited extraordinary patience and subtletly in their performances (and just to be clear, this isn't a lineup issue, I love the current lineup). Nearly every song seemed to fast, both in tempo and in development. Last night they seemed not to be responding to one another musically so much as playing their parts that they have played hundreds of times.

Maybe they've just been just touring TOO much, or maybe it's because they're touring behind a live album and feel the need to play to those recorded performances, but this show didn't have the magic that every other Wilco show I've seen had.

I've heard similar reports from other long-time Wilco fans from the Huntsville show and other dates, and I'm wondering what other VCers think...

I agree with all of your points. I saw them back in April in Charlottesville, which was just an absolutely incredible show. But what made it so great, besides lasting three hours was the audience interaction. During Jesus Etc. it looked as if Nels was gesturing for people to sing along during the chorus, which seemed odd. That ususally tends to be the song that really galvanizes the crowd, as Ive both observed and heard on live bootlegs. The crowd seemed complacent at times, and even though the level of intensity increased throughout the show, they looked worn out. They just tour too much, or at least this year they have. This is their second tour of the year and combine that with Jeff's solo appearances as well as the ever expanding side projects, they play a lot of damn shows. WIlco just didn't seem to really ever get into what they were playing, as if they were just going through the motions.

I didn't know Jeff's mother died, which I'm sure is weighing pretty heavily on him. Sorry to hear that. But this is the first time I have seen them with my brother and cousin, who both got me into Wilco, and that of course, more than made up for it being a pretty good show, but not a great show. I was hoping they would play Is That The Thanks I Get, which I hear is a real crowd churner live. Watching Glenn Kotchke play drums is just a damn treat.

He asked the crowd where everyone was from..Huntsville, B'ham, Nashville, Mobile.....Alaska(lots of laughs)

Ya know I thought he asked who was from "Atlanta" not Alaska, I was hollowing for that one...

But tho I'm not from Alaska (LOL) but east of Atlanta...

I think it was an AWESOME SHOW :D

Considering all things well worth the loooong drive, would have loved to meet the guys,

didn't think they'd be out, guess it would have helped to know where the bus was (LOL)

Maybe next time, but sitting by the water fountain in the park was nice after the show...

Can't wait for the next show...

How about one in Chicago or Buffalo around christmas to new years?

Hope to visit family and see the new grandaughter then and a Wilco show,

well that would an awesome christmas gift to myself or

more awesome birthday gift to myself for new years... Just a thought....

I thought the show was amazing. I've seen them 4 times over the last two years and I really think this one stands out.

How those boys can ROCK. I had goose bumps during "At Least That's What You Said".

:stunned

Can't wait for it to show up on etree!!! :rock

He asked about people from Atlanta later in the show.

They tour too much...is that possible? They seemed to be having a great time...Tweedy was giving High fives and dancing around...what more do you want?

That's good, thought it could have just been me that heard it wrong...

I agree "tour too much...is that possible?"

Each show leaves me hungry for more shows...

If they enjoy playing as much as I love seeing them play... :wub

Reading your post I felt kinda of guilty, I want more shows, whatever they play...

However they play. Like I say, the show was AWESOME TO ME....

Just asking for another show, made me feel selfish and I don't mean to be...

He asked about people from Atlanta later in the show.

They tour too much...is that possible? They seemed to be having a great time...Tweedy was giving High fives and dancing around...what more do you want?

Look, I'de see them 365 days a year, but damn, everyone has their limits. Wilco puts more into a show than any band Ive seen, and though this show was not a disapointment by any stretch of the imagination, its obvious when a band is tired and is just going through the motions. That's how they looked in my opinion.

Look, I'de see them 365 days a year, but damn, everyone has their limits. Wilco puts more into a show than any band Ive seen, and though this show was not a disapointment by any stretch of the imagination, its obvious when a band is tired and is just going through the motions. That's how they looked in my opinion.

Wow - if "going through the motions" includes two sets of encores with 7 songs, plus a handful of new songs, and even some little guitar jumps on Jeff's part, well ... I don't know what to say. They're polished and tight from A LOT of time on the road. Walken live just really jumped out at me as one of the catchiest songs Jeff's ever written - and it was just beautifully delivered Monday night. Tons of energy. The floor was shaking.

I've been lucky in my travel plans this year - I was able to extend a Nashville weekend trip to see this show. And yeah, I've seen the guys go "through the motions" at a show or two in the past few years. This wasn't one of them. I left glad that I'd taken the extra time and effort to get to the-middle-of-nowhere Alabama to see it.

My 3 cents,

-Laura

bt.etree.org

Wilco

Monday, October 9, 2006

Von Braun Concert Hall

Huntsville, AL

Source: KM140/KM120 (Mid-Side) > Canare Star Quad > W-Mod UA-5 > MT2496 (24/48)

Transfer: MT2496 (24/48) > CEP (fades,edit) > SF8 (dither, resample) > CDwave (flac8)

Taped and Transfered by: KLowe

SET 1

disk 1

01 intro

02 Poor Places

03 Muzzle of Bees

04 Shot in the Arm

05 Impossible Germany

06 Break Your Heart

07 Kamera

08 Handshake Drugs

09 Jesus Ect