10.13.06 San Antone

This is my shorthand of the show. Got to talk to pat a bit, this was an amazing show. Sunken treasure.

Hell

Shot

Handshake

Germany

Iattbyh

Muzzle

Company

Sunken treasure

Flowers

Airline

Altwys

Jesus

Walken

Theologians

Itmwly

E1:

Humminbgird

Stars

War

Late greats

Misunderstood

HMD

LNGCAway

Kingpin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff looked happy. He was impressed by how many of the audience were singing along. There were several moments when I looked from side to side and saw so many people smiling. We met some wonderful fans tonight. It just reaffirmed the pledge I made awhile back that I will move heaven and earth (and my bosses) to see wilco when at all possible.

To any of you who were there: cheers!!!!!

To those of you who weren't, there was a taper with a premium position. Thank you kind sirs who made that happen. :)

To those of you who weren't, there was a taper with a premium position. Thank you kind sirs who made that happen. :)

Sweet setlist, after reading it I was going to ask if there were any tapers -- good to know there was one. I was at the Fort Worth show, and I just wasn't able to make it down to SA.

shows was amazing :thumbup the guy who turned is back around was a jack @ss i knew jeff would comment on him soon or later :yay

my favorite songs were

sunken treasure

kingpin

wreck myself

forget the flowers

misunderstood

ill post some pics later

Great setlist, thanks for posting it...look forward to hearing the new ones live.

Did Altered Statesman open for this one? Any thoughts on them?

Roll on Wichita. :dancing

Edited to add: whatdisay, were you at Rocky Mountain Folks Fest? Like your signature. ;)

It was pretty awesome - especially "Forget the Flowers"!

I'll write a more detailed review tomorrow. :wave

:wave yourself!

I didn't have the ringer on on my phone last night, but I checked it before I went to bed, and... "oh, two missed calls... oh, and one of them's Nat!" I'm so out of it, I forgot you'd be calling from the show. :monkey

Anyway, I went to sleep with sweet sweet Wilco ringing in my ears. :cheekkiss

Excellent show!!! I actually liked the fact that they played in San Antonio (somewhat of a neutral site, forcing the diearhards from Austin and elswhere to make the drive, and leaving the talkative assholes behind.) Crowd was very into the music, at least from my perspective. However did notice that after the second encore, the guitar tech brought out Jeff's acoustic, but he waved her off. Could of had the first third encore of the tour!!, but I guess Jeff didnt want to break precedent.

Sunken Treasure more in line with the album version, though Jeff stopped after the first chorus and re-started from the beginning.

First time I had heard them play Flowers live since the Summerteeth Tour. Flowers and Airline back to back, was a nice twangy reminder of the past. Glad to see, Jeff still has it in him.

Jeff started Sunken Treasure out with the capo on his guitar; hence in the wrong key. About a minute into it, right when he sings "I'm so out of tune," he realized it, stopped and said "Holy Shit!" He took the capo off, threw it off stage and started again after apologizing. "Were the other songs in the right key?"

It was really a great show.

Oh, and there were at least three tapers there, including myself. :D

I'm new to this board and looking for a copy of this show. (I was front row all night! So rockin'!) Where do I go to find it?

- Please allow up to at least 1 week before requesting a show. Say for example' date=' don't request the show you just went to the night or a few nights before. Allow tapers time some time.[/quote']
:wave yourself!

I didn't have the ringer on on my phone last night, but I checked it before I went to bed, and... "oh, two missed calls... oh, and one of them's Nat!" I'm so out of it, I forgot you'd be calling from the show. :monkey

Anyway, I went to sleep with sweet sweet Wilco ringing in my ears. :cheekkiss

Actually, the phone call wasn't planned - I just suddenly started missing my west-coast posse and I had your number programmed into my phone from my last visit to SF. :cheekkiss

So yeah, the show was pretty awesome. I arrived just as Wilco were soundchecking, which made me happy. The venue left something to be desired, though - the doors opened about twenty minutes late, and then when they finally admitting people, security made everyone wait outside a barricade for 45 more minutes, which virtually guaranteed a crazed stampede for the stage once they finally deigned to let us sheep go. Also, the sound was pretty bad, but fortunately the music was loud enough to drown out the occasional train going by at the nearby train station.

I was lucky enough to get a spot at the front, thanks to a couple of nice people who gave up spots for the short folks. The Altered Statesmen, despite their stupid name, were pretty good - kinda rootsy-sounding with wry lyrics. I immediately recognized their saxophone-player - Deanna Varagona from Lambchop and various other bands. (Unless there's another small curly-haired woman who plays baritone sax out there...) Pat Sansone also joined them on keyboards for a song, to much acclaim.

Wilco hit the stage accompanied by dramatic background music, and rocked hard as usual. I think I've finally gotten setlist burnout - I was listening to "Kicking Television" practically nonstop for a couple of months earlier this year, and hearing the same songs again didn't get much of a rise out of me at first. But I got into it more as the show went on, especially when they started in with the older stuff in the second half of the set. "Sunken Treasure" was great, and the false start was hilarious - I could see Nels switching guitars and consulting with Mike while looking really confused, and I thought it was just technical problems till Jeff stopped the song. I was especially geeked to hear "Forget the Flowers," because I've never heard that live before - Nels was just SMOKIN'. (Someone on VC was claiming that Nels can't play country licks the way Jay Bennett can - if you still think so after hearing a recording of this, I advise you to get your hearing checked.)

Jeff's rant at the guy who had his back turned through the whole show was also hilarious, though I'm sure the guy was mortified. (Jeff, if you're still feeling insecure, I assure you that everyone else in the audience loves you and was having a great time. :cheekkiss ) And although I'm still kinda lukewarm about the other new material, I LOVED "Let's Not Get Carried Away" or whatever it's called. It totally rocks, and Glenn breaking out into a short rendition of the Balinese Monkey Chant in the middle of it was brilliant. During "Kingpin," Jeff praised the audience for our enthusiasm and said we were the loudest audience on this tour - and for once he meant that as a compliment. :P Everyone performed their screaming duties admirably.

Anyway, I hope that the very high proportion of Austinites at the show convinces the band to play Austin AND San Antonio next time. In fact, judging by the conversations I overheard, I think practically everyone there was a UT student. Maybe Wilco should play a show on campus. We can only hope... :dancing

Actually if you think about it since AGIB came out wilco has come to Austin at least 3 times on tour. Dallas at least Two, and San Antonio, Houston and Ft. Worth, once.

They know the diehards will travel to whatever city they have to, to catch the show availible to them. So them playing only San Antonio and Ft. Worth this go round was about playing to the fans there that couldn't travel elsewhere the previous times they came through, and make the people from austin, houston and dallas drive for a change to catch the show.

anyhow I am loving impossible germany and walken, lets not get carried away is ok. Sunken Treasure was amazing too, but I was unlucky to be next to some talkative girls and drunken frat boys, who didn't know the song and insisted on being loud the whole time.

I think he mentioned he was upset that he wasn't able to get up against the rail, and was 3-5 people back. Supposedly security fucked up when they opened the doors, and pretty much disolved whatever line there initially was beforehand. I'm betting he got there early and was pissed off he didn't get up to the front.