10.13.06 San Antone

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he mentioned he was upset that he wasn't able to get up against the rail, and was 3-5 people back. Supposedly security fucked up when they opened the doors, and pretty much disolved whatever line there initially was beforehand. I'm betting he got there early and was pissed off he didn't get up to the front.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the guy was having a really bad trip on top of being pissed he wasn't in the front, if I heard the people shouting back to Jeff clearly.

The show was amazing. I'd never seen Wilco live before, but my friends I went with had seen them several times, and they said it was the best they'd ever seen Wilco. The fact that we were front row in the middle was a factor though, I'm sure.

I really didn't like the Altered Statesman. They looked bored by their own music, as was 99% of the audience.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the guy was having a really bad trip on top of being pissed he wasn't in the front, if I heard the people shouting back to Jeff clearly.

Wow, so a guy was standing with his back to the stage the whole show, and when Jeff asks about it, the guy's friends explain that he's having a bad trip? Yow, Jeff has a truly surreal job! :ermm

They know the diehards will travel to whatever city they have to, to catch the show availible to them.

:yes 531 miles to be exact!

Jeff went on to do a "roll call" of different cities represented at the show. He mentioned Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth?, El Paso?, and even Midland. He was getting close to my home, but :no he never mentioned it. I'm sure we were the only ones from.......my town ;)

It was a great show. I'm not sure the sound was as good as Fort Worth but the crowd sure was.

Jeff started Sunken Treasure out with the capo on his guitar; hence in the wrong key. About a minute into it, right when he sings "I'm so out of tune," he realized it, stopped and said "Holy Shit!" He took the capo off, threw it off stage and started again after apologizing. "Were the other songs in the right key?"

Yeah, then when he hit the chorus the second time around he mouthed "SOOO True" after delivering the "I am so out of tune lyric" it was classic!

Best show of my life. :rock

some additional random comments on the show:

Opening with "hell is chrome" was outstanding. The last two shows I caught (houston & fayetteville) they opened with "At Least That's What You Said," which certainly begins things with a bang, but there's something so perfect about "hell is chrome" that seemed to grab everyone's attention, despite the rather subdued tone to the tune. The ending chorus kind of got everyone on board for what was to come...

"Impossible Germany" was fantastic. I've snagged about 6 or 7 versions from the 2006 shows, and this version stood out in the sense that Nels seemed to pick the notes more sparingly and really allowed some space in between some sweetly-bent touches. Not as aggressive of a "solo" as many of the predecessors, but the tone was simply beautiful. That ending just gives me chills...

putting "Muzzle of Bees" and "Company In My Back" back to back was fantastic. I've been longing to hear "company" live for so long, and when I heard those opening notes the adrenalin kicked in. Two beautifully-crafted songs that took the mood of the show in a great direction... and what follows? "Sunken Treasure"!!! They were just putting us in a trance. I would liken it to the Being There recording with the exception that Jeff was playing electric--which gave those great transitions toward the end so much dynamic width and punch. This was a real treat.

"Forget The Flowers" was a welcome and perfectly placed tune, after feeling through Bees, Company and Sunken Treasure. Everyone in the audience seemed to get a little kick in their step and you could tell that the crowd was going to be all the way into the show until the fat lady sang, which was exciting.

ATLWYS was fierce as usual. No matter how many live recordings I download of this song, I don't think it's possible to feel it like seeing it live. I think my "dancing" turned into what probably looked to my nearby fellow fans like some kind of seizure. I could never tire of that tune live. It just picks you up and hits all cylinders.

During "Jesus, Etc." there was a moment where I stopped and just scanned the audience, and I don't think a single person there was without a beaming smile. There's just something about that song that makes it hard not to feel good about life, if only for a few minutes. definitely a groovy vibe was afoot.

Walken continues to get tighter and tighter. The band is really clicking on this one, and jeff seems simply to love playing it. Really got the crowd up and moving again.

Theologians was stunning. The transition to the vocal "a ghost is born" just stopped me in my tracks. It so completely showcases how tight this group has gotten rhythmically.

"I'm The Man Who Loves You" made me eat my own words. I guess it was last week when someone posted the "Give It a Rest" thread? I had posted on there that I would be happy with any tune from any album, and added the caveat that I could do without another ITMWLY. Well, Jeff and company squarely kicked my teeth in with this version, which had everyone in the crowd moving and shaking and singing along. Serves me right for thinking I knew what I was talking about...

The first encore is among the best run of songs I've heard on any wilco show. Hummingbird to California Stars to War On War to The Late Greats. All were spot-on and it just felt like there could be no wrong in this concert.

"Misunderstood." wow. Hands down the best live version I've heard. Not much I can say that can add to that song, which just glows for itself. I kept thinking that the unprecedented (only in the limited context of the live shows I've been to) audience participation/singing/positivity was bringing out a real desire to hit all cylinders for the whole band.

As to "Let's Not Get Carried Away": I'll admit that when I downloaded the first couple of recordings off torrents, I did not have a good reaction to this song. Can't put my finger on why, but it just didn't click. After seeing it live, especially watching everyone in the band except for Jeff (who was clapping)--including a roadie--grabbing some kind of percussive instrument and all turning to face Gleen during his solo, well, it was just as good as it gets. It sounds cliche, but you could just tell this was a BAND, not a collection of players. They were quite simply having a blast of a time. It'll be interesting to see how this gets worked out for a recording

I was a bit disappointed with them closing with "kingpin," mostly just cause I've been through it before, and was hoping to get one more not-regularly-on-the-2006-setlist gem--not because they didn't rock the bejeezus out of it. I had seen the setlist from Ft. Worth beforehand and was kind of surprised they'd use the same closer back-to-back.

Seeing live music just doesn't get much better than this. There was a taper about 10 or 15 feet from us who seemed to have quite the setup. Can't wait to see this torrent pop up.

thank you, thank you, thank you Wilco.

I got there during the Altered Statesman, and walked up. I saw the show from just left of center. I was in good company, some of the FNL cast, my boss and a lot of my friends. My boss has known Nels for a long time, so prior to the show he chatted with Nels who gave us the passes to the back. We took them and returned to see the show, after the opening music, Wilco came on and destroyed. I enjoyed the venue a lot and the sound was solid where I was.

After the show, for the first time I met the band. Jeff was not there, but the "backstage" was outside just off the stage, it was quite the highlight for me to meet everyone, I said nothing of importance to any of them, other than "Hello" and the typical blah blah blah, completely boring and thank you. Nels is awesome, as well as everyone else. Glen was super cool, I just hung out and listened mostly. It was great.

I got there during the Altered Statesman, and walked up. I saw the show from just left of center. I was in good company, some of the FNL cast, my boss and a lot of my friends. My boss has known Nels for a long time, so prior to the show he chatted with Nels who gave us the passes to the back. We took them and returned to see the show, after the opening music, Wilco came on and destroyed. I enjoyed the venue a lot and the sound was solid where I was.

After the show, for the first time I met the band. Jeff was not there, but the "backstage" was outside just off the stage, it was quite the highlight for me to meet everyone, I said nothing of importance to any of them, other than "Hello" and the typical blah blah blah, completely boring and thank you. Nels is awesome, as well as everyone else. Glen was super cool, I just hung out and listened mostly. It was great.

Starf*cker.

:P

:yes 531 miles to be exact!

Jeff went on to do a "roll call" of different cities represented at the show. He mentioned Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth?, El Paso?, and even Midland. He was getting close to my home, but :no he never mentioned it. I'm sure we were the only ones from.......my town ;)

It was a great show. I'm not sure the sound was as good as Fort Worth but the crowd sure was.

yeah.. if i had been closer to the stage i woulda yelled College Station cause i'm sure he's never heard of it (where i'm from)

Here's a rather strange review of the show:

Link

Concert Review: Wilco performance runs deep and true

Web Posted: 10/14/2006 02:32 PM CDT

Hector Saldaña

Express-News Staff Writer

Every concert has its moments. Some are worthy to recall over and over again.

For Jeff Tweedy's Wilco, the first of many came three songs into its jam-packed outdoor concert at Sunset Station on Friday for more than 2,000 fans.

When

I was going to yell that I was from Portland, but I didn't actually come all the way from Portland for the show. :P

How dignified is it to come from Portland to San Antonio to see Wilco?
Here's a rather strange review of the show:

Link

Concert Review: Wilco performance runs deep and true

Web Posted: 10/14/2006 02:32 PM CDT

Hector Saldaña

Express-News Staff Writer

Every concert has its moments. Some are worthy to recall over and over again.

For Jeff Tweedy's Wilco, the first of many came three songs into its jam-packed outdoor concert at Sunset Station on Friday for more than 2,000 fans.

When