Favorite Tweedy Line

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I shake like a toothache, when I hear myself sing, all my lies are only wishes, I know I would die if I could come back new."

-Ashes Of American Flags

The main reason Wilco is my favourite band and probably always will be is because of Jeff's lyrics. Every song has some part of my life in it, whether it's my thoughts, feelings, or experiences. No other songwriter can do that but him. And that's what makes Wilco and Jeff so special.

P.S. it is "Distance has no way of making love understandable"

i wish iiiiiiiiiiiiiii could fuck you like he thinks he does... :lol

seriously, not mainly for the meaning, but more fitting in the song structure:

"The hope I had in a notebook full of white dry pages"

it seems like there are too many syllables in there to fit the structure of the song, but tweedy pulls it off perfectly

Isn't it "Distance has no way of making love understandable"?

:o

on the yhf version i think tweedy changes between "no way" and "the way" but in kicking television its pretty clear that on the last time he says (when he takes it up the octave) "oh distance has A way of making love understandable" which to me means more than "no way" or "the way" cuz putting distance between yourself and anything makes it more understandable.

its interesting tho cuz i never did think of it as "no way", until i really listened to the song. it puts another twist in an already interesting song.

:o

on the yhf version i think tweedy changes between "no way" and "the way" but in kicking television its pretty clear that on the last time he says (when he takes it up the octave) "oh distance has A way of making love understandable" which to me means more than "no way" or "the way" cuz putting distance between yourself and anything makes it more understandable.

its interesting tho cuz i never did think of it as "no way", until i really listened to the song. it puts another twist in an already interesting song.

Or, the "n" doesn't sound when he hits them notes, because damn if it isn't hard to hit those notes consistently.

I hate to do this to ya but after seeing the favorite song list, i felt inclined to make a favorite line post:

"Oh distance has a way of making love understandable"

-Radio Cure

mine too. :thumbup

"Carelessness is what I miss

And that's how I think of you"

seconded.

"How can I convince you it's me I don't like

and not be so indifferent to the look in your eyes

When I've always been distant,

And I've always told lies for love" (i almost peed myself when they played this live last week)

"The truth proves it's beautiful to lie"

"the first thing that you want will be the last thing you ever need"

Hahaha, I was heartbroken when I found out it was "no way" in Radio Cure. Actually I still quote Tweedy sometimes, without the "no", just because it's so goddamn touching the other way.

What about,

There's a random painted highway, and a muzzle of bees

My sleeves have come unstitched from climbing your tree

I like that.

There's just so many! This is kind of like a lyrical Rorschach (sp?) Test,it may say more about the poster than it does about JT's genius.

'exactly what do you want me to be?'

"I'm going away

Where you will look for me

Where I'm going you cannot come

No one's ever gonna take my life from me

I lay it down

A ghost is born..."

-Theologians

damn you beat me to it!!! best line ever!!! but to be different, i would also add:

"You have to learn how to die if you wanna wanna be alive"