Wichita - Set list

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave

Hello from Springfield.

Just a brief hello to let you know what a great time it was last night. Will post more tomorrow when it's not so late.

Odd night in Springfield, to say the least. I have been seeing shows for 35 years, and have never attended one quite so strange.

Anyway...more later.

The band however, was fucking awesome.

Start the thread, oceanman...

I loved this show. After the Springfield one, I am trying to "get back" to that moment in time....

Here are some highlights:

1. Jeff did not address the audience until after "shot" (which was blistering -- loved the red lights affects). When he did, he apologized that he had missed the "check in" notation on the set list after the 2nd song. Hilarious banter ensued.

2. Walken is now fully formed, and grown up after about a year of performing it live. I love that song.

3. 48 nothings took well over a minute of time to perform, and was one of those perfect times when the audience and artist were 100% together. I loved it.

4. Late Greats was as good as I have ever heard it.

5. Glenn's solo in LNGCA was really fun. As the wife of a drummer/percussionist, I especially appreciated the homemade "maraca on a (8 ft) stick" that some unseen roadie was shaking. Added lots of charm :lol

This show was way too much fun. I think I moshed a little. Teh Wilcos stole my heart again.

It was awesome to be there with kidsmoke, Edie, creativetype and red1996. Meeting oceanman was the icing on that cake.

There are pics!

What about LNGCA?

The name has already been given ("Let's Not Get Carried Away"), but no one has mentioned the pronunciation of this - it's "Lung-Ka"

Let's all try it together: "Lung-Ka"

:thumbup Excellent. You guys are smart as whips.

Hello all,

I'm brand new to viachicago but not to Wilco. I just heard about this board at the Wichita show and thought i would come join in on all the fun.

Welcome to Via Chicago! :cheers

Congrats creativetype, very cool moment. Thanks for sharing the setlist. Here's a very fuzzy photo of Jeff taking your photo (let's hope Jeff is a better photographer than me!). ;)

IMG_4833.jpg

Loved the show. Misunderstood was especially poignant IMHO; 48 "nothins" is amazing...most I've heard in the handful of shows we've seen...but not surprising...a very cathartic moment. Think Jeff was completely right about having scream therapy with your fellow man too...I do feel lighter today (despite the lack of sleep and sore throat). :yes Was great to hear Radio Cure as well.

Kidsmoke, we (hubby is atomicblooz BTW) looked for you but alas, couldn't find anyone that fit the description you gave. :ohwell Hopefully next time. :) We were about three rows back on Pat's end.

Oh, I'm sorry we missed meeting! :o As you see from the picture Jeff took of Clay, half of me is next to M.Christine. The other half was probably nearby. :yes

Your picture of Jeff taking Clay's picture is adorable! I have one too; will post once home. (Still in MO)

Since Clay (creativetype) is out of pocket today, I'll try and provide a little more detail on the camera incident....

Clay was taking pics of some people he knew (we were on the rail), and it was when the band was coming out for the encore, and his flash went off (he'd had it turned off all night so it wouldn't disturb the band), and Jeff asked him "did you want to be in the picture?" and asked for his camera. My first thought was "oh man, Jeff's pissed and Clay's not getting his camera back!" But Jeff took the picture of us, and the crowd's in the background with hands raised - very cool shot! We talked to Jeff after the show and he was excited about taking that pic - said "it turned out pretty good, huh? and if you use it anywhere, make sure I get the credit!"

M. Christine's in the pic, and half of Kidsmoke is in it - we were all in front of Jeff. I'm sure Clay can provide more details later, but it was a cool moment... Donna/Kidsmoke got a pic of Jeff taking the pic also.

In the pic Jeff took of Clay, you can see that I'm holding up my camera to take a pic of Jeff photographing Clay! :lol Well, my arm's in there holding the camera, anyway.

Hi everybody!

I'm new to Via Chicago, but I've been a Wilco fan for quite a while. For a long time I wanted my first actual concert to be Wilco, and I was simply amazed. EVERYTHING was incredible! I knew it was going to be great, but I was blown away.

After the concert, Jeff signed my Ghost is Born cover. I wanted to thank him for making such an impact on my life and for all of his incredible music, but I was so shy and starstuck that hardly anything came out of my mouth. So if you're out there, Jeff, thank you.

If anyone has pictures, and tapes especially, I would also be interested.

Nice to meet everyone!

Kiel

Welcome to Via Chicago! More pictures coming. ;)

The show was amazing - best one I've been to in terms of awesome people in the front (oh yes, Clay and Craig, I'm talkin' bout you.) It was nice to meet other fans - and have a rock star take our picture! Hope the Springfield show is a good one for those of you who could go!

You boys look so damned cute in that photo, we may have to go ahead with the plans for that "Men of Via Chicago" calendar fundraiser.... :)

Good lookin' group! Wish I'd have been there.

We wish you could've been, too. :cheekkiss

This show was way too much fun. I think I moshed a little. Teh Wilcos stole my heart again.

It was awesome to be there with kidsmoke, Edie, creativetype and red1996. Meeting oceanman was the icing on that cake.

There are pics!

She moshed right into me once. :pirate

What a fun group of VC'ers. We are a party waiting to happen. :dance And lacking patience of any sort, we tend to just happen.

There was signage. Moshing was strictly forbidden.

I think kismoke has 'em. Tomorrow when she gets home.

Chris may have been nipping into Granny's special cough syrup a bit. My name is kidsmoke. Kidsmoke , not "kismoke". Once you start slurring on the printed page :omg , it's time to put the cough syrup down. :unsure

I sense a slap in my future, over that one. :P

What a show. What an incredible, astonishing, feats-of-mastery-and-magic, unbelievable show! I liked when Nels played so hard he levitated. :worship How does he do that?!! You rock, Nels. :thumbup

After 50 minuets and 9 songs of the boys blasting us with their outstanding play Jeff spoke...

How ya guys doin'? (cheers) You know usually, when you go see a rock show, there is about a second or third song check in with the audience. Where you go, how ya doin? I'm not standing on custom tonight...i missed it, i skipped it...i forgot the 3rd song check in.

So just a little old friendly how you doin? you guys doin ok?(cheers) I'm gonna do it twice now. How ya guys doin'? you doin' ok?(louder cheers) your doin' better than the first time i asked that's awesome.(cheers) I hope your enjoying the show so far. This is certainly a crazy pad you have here. We would love to visit your town more often but we get called faggots when we walk around here...(boo-hiss)seriously,yes, yes it's true. Granted we were drinking lattes in front of the antique store...alright...we gotta, we gotta, yea. It's ok we gotta take the good with the bad. This is a beautiful place. But um now that I've checked in i feel comfortable asking you all to sing along, I've heard you guys sing along a little bit earlier. Bravo, well done, we enjoy that. (some guy yells "come back!") we've already heard ourselves sing( he shouts it again) Come back? Come back? Already? OK... (jeff turns and walks briefly off stage right. Returns to center stage, raises his hands and says) "Ah its good to be back in Wichita!" (audience erupts while Glenn taps his sticks to start Jesus Ect.

After 50 minuets and 9 songs of the boys blasting us with their outstanding play Jeff spoke...

How ya guys doin'? (cheers) You know usually, when you go see a rock show, there is about a second or third song check in with the audience. Where you go, how ya doin? I'm not standing on custom tonight...i missed it, i skipped it...i forgot the 3rd song check in.

So just a little old friendly how you doin? you guys doin ok?(cheers) I'm gonna do it twice now. How ya guys doin'? you doin' ok?(louder cheers) your doin' better than the first time i asked that's awesome.(cheers) I hope your enjoying the show so far. This is certainly a crazy pad you have here. We would love to visit your town more often but we get called fagots when we walk around here...(boo-hiss)seriously,yes, yes it's true. Granted we were drinking lattes in front of the antique store...alright...we gotta, we gotta, yea. It's ok we gotta take the good with the bad. This is a beautiful place. But um now that I've checked in i feel comfortable asking you all to sing along, I've heard you guys sing along a little bit earlier. Bravo, well done, we enjoy that. (some guy yells "come back!") we've already heard ourselves sing( he shouts it again) Come back? Come back? Already? OK... (jeff turns and walks briefly off stage right. Returns to center stage, raises his hands and says) "Ah its good to be back in Wichita!" (audience erupts while Glenn taps his sticks to start Jesus Ect.

That's pretty exact...does that imply that you...maybe...have a recording?

I know I sound like a terrible newbie who only joins to get that recording...but I just really really really really really want to be able to relive Sunday night. That was maybe the greatest rock 'n' roll experience I've ever had.

That's pretty exact...does that imply that you...maybe...have a recording?

I know I sound like a terrible newbie who only joins to get that recording...but I just really really really really really want to be able to relive Sunday night. That was maybe the greatest rock 'n' roll experience I've ever had.

You catch on pretty fast around here for a newbie :thumbup

Thats what I'v been doin' this evening... working on it.

it took me until today to recoup enough from the 16 hour 800 mile RT i made to capture it on Sunday and real job duties waiting on Monday.

Creativetype, more amazing photos! Thank you...thanks to you I can now believe my hubby about Nels' striped socks. ;) Are you a professional photographer? Would love to know what kind of camera you (and Jeff!) were using.

Kidsmoke, now that we know what half of you looks like :lol , there's at least half more of a chance we will be able to find you next time. And I sincerely do hope there is a next time. :yes :)

Timewasajoke, thank you for that great quote. Being a longtime Kansan, I was completely mortified about the faggot comment. :no But I was extremely proud of the Wilco audience and their reaction. Goes to show a great band attracts great people (even in Kansas...okay, granted most of you were from out of town, right?) :P I really look forward to hearing this show again sometime; glad to know it got taped. Thanks again timewasajoke!

Here's a few more fuzzy/funky photos from our vantage point just so you know it's good to be in the third and fourth row of a Wilco show too. ;)

sepiaIMG_4786.jpg

sepiaIMG_4798.jpg

cropIMG_4799.jpg

funkyIMG_4828.jpg

And a few more:

bwIMG_4803.jpg

cropIMG_4835.jpg

sepiacropIMG_4800.jpg

Kidsmoke, look forward to seeing your pics as well. Thanks again everyone for helping to make this such a great memory. I too seem to be falling in love with Wilco over and over again. ;)

jono11,

Since you're up late, you might like to see the additional pics that have been uploaded ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilcobase/set...57594332103295/

And I, too, am eagerly anticipating the audio from the show!

Good shots. I'm writing a review of the show for my college paper--do you mind if I use one or two of the shots?

You catch on pretty fast around here for a newbie :thumbup

Thats what I'v been doin' this evening... working on it.

it took me until today to recoup enough from the 16 hour 800 mile RT i made to capture it on Sunday and real job duties waiting on Monday.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Sorry for the ginormous pics (and the ginormous post---I'm a wordy girl). :blush I thought I edited the pics, but they still look ginormous. :ermm :unsure I have much to learn...think I will go back to lurking now. ;)

Thanks again VCers for all the wonderful info/pics. :thumbup Hope to meet some of you down the road.

Forgot to mention how great it was to hear Impossible Germany and Wreck Myself. Nels is amazing...it was really something to watch Glenn on Misunderstood/Wreck Myself as well. Thank you Wilco for coming to Wichita...you guys are amazing.

:worship

Good shots. I'm writing a review of the show for my college paper--do you mind if I use one or two of the shots?

jono11, do you mind telling us which school/paper so we can look for it?

Thanks!

Jono! How come we didn't meet up at the concert? I totally forgot you were going ot be there. Where was your vantage point? We were six back, dead center for the amazing show. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the night.