We Can Make It Better

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol :lol :lol

I love when you get to reminiscing, Dan! :cheers

Thank you. I later recycled the incident for a record review I did of a Motorhead disc once. I proposed that instead of those records with a map to where Earth is and stuff, the Voyager probe should have contained a record of Lemmy saying, "This is my fookin' planet! Get on my fookin' planet and I'll kick you in the fookin' teeth!"

That is sooooo cool! (Tweedy, not the dumbass and his antics)

Helluva way to handle the situation. :worship :worship

Yeah, but I've seen them plenty of times without barricades, with stages low enough to be easily jumped onto, and no trouble at all.

Yeah, me, too, with the 930 club being one of them

There were barricades at all three of the shows I saw this week, but they were really close, and they didn't cause any harm. I imagine it can't be easy to try to make music when you're wondering if some beer-soaked fool is going to pull a copy cat stunt. If the barricades keep them from feeling jumpy, I'm in favor, if only for the sake of the songs.

It's pretty unfair that all those headlines said he punched the guy in the face when he obviously didn't, especially in light of how generous Jeff is with fans. The non-face-grabbing kind, anyway.

At the Wichita gig there was a half ass pat down by security at the door, this of course seems to be just something security does to cover their asses in the event of a tragedy that may happen. It's probably done on the advise of some attorney.

At the Wichita show, security just looked at me and said "you're okay." I assume they didn't pat me down because they didn't have any females doing the pat downs. But I could have been some deranged fan. (And, in fact, my passion for the band has left me accused of being a deranged fan many times. :P)

And at the 2004 Columbia, MO, show I was involved with some "crowd security." Some very drunk guy wearing a Dinosaur Jr. shirt kept trying to push his way to the front and claimed that he knew Jeff because he had been a roadie for Uncle Tupelo. He ended up hitting someone (likely a VC'er----anyone remember this??) in the head with a beer bottle and got pushed back by the crowd until he finally left. It definitely could have turned ugly but didn't.

Do I think Wilco needs to be more careful as they get more famous? Absolutely. But as long as Wilco continues to tour, I will go with my fellow VC'ers to show Wilco the love they deserve. (And not the face-grabbing kind, either.) :wub

Although we normally go WAY out of our way to avoid responding to things like this, we feel obligated to address some sensationalized stories about Monday night's Wilco show in Springfield, Missouri.

Here's a brief synopsis of what happened. It was clear fairly early on that security was a a bit lax at the Shrine Mosque. We had decided in advance to not have a barricade in front of the stage (a mistake?) so the band and crowd could be as close together as possible. The band prefer it that way.

Fairly early in the set, there were a couple of people shoving and roughing up others in front of the stage. Jeff asked everyone to calm down and respect each other and when things did, the band resumed the set.

At the end of the main set, a woman sneaked up a back stairway and entered from a side stage door. Shortly thereafter she ran onto the stage and sat on the piano bench next to keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen while the band played "Poor Places". She was heavily intoxicated and was removed from the stage by several members of the band's crew.

As that situation was getting dealt with, another arose. During the first encore a young man jumped onto the stage and did the requisite salute to his pals. While we certainly do not encourage that kind of behavior, we were prepared to let it go, as he was, it seemed, heading back into the crowd. Just when it appeared he was walking off the stage he turned around and moved towards Tweedy from behind. Jeff did not see him approaching, but felt the guy

Okay here is a list of songs they played, I dont know the exact order(and this is not the exact order by far), but this will suffice for a bit:

Via Chicago

A Shot in the Arm

Handshake Drugs

Walken

Impossible Germany

War on War(drunk dude spills beer all over some kid and then bodychecks him, Jeff comes to the edge of the stage and mouths "You need to settle down...fucker")

I am trying to break your heart

Jesus, etc.

Im the man who loves you

Poor Places

Forget the Flowers

Theologians(some girl comes onstage and sits down beside Mikael)

At least thats what you said

Airline to Heaven(dude jumps onstage and tries to kiss Jeff, he grabs the guy by the hair and pulls him to the side of the stage)

Rock Myself?

Kingpin

California Stars

I am from Springfield and this was my third Wilco show. I was pretty embarrased for my town after the show. I really hope they play here again sometime(maybe not that venue though), however I completely understand if they go to Columbia or somewhere instead.

this setlist is totally wrong... see my post for the real deal...

Aside from all of the drama, etc, I gotta send some love out to the opener for both the Wichita and Springfield shows. The Altered Statesmen were really quite good. I look forward to hearing more from that jazzy blues combo in the future.

A dramatic recreation of Wilco's infamous St. Louis show, performed by emoticons:

People were rocking: :banana :worship :rock :beer :throwup

Security was lacking: :yawn :yawn :coffee :yawn :yawn

Idiot fan: :boff

fan to Tweedy: :cheekkiss :guitar

Tweedy to dude: :headbonk

ViaChicago members: :chatterbox :chatterbox :chatterbox

Gawd that is funny..... now will someone post up the two youtube links?

LouieB

this setlist is totally wrong... see my post for the real deal...

Not to be rude, but you did see this in his post, correct?

Okay here is a list of songs they played, I dont know the exact order(and this is not the exact order by far), but this will suffice for a bit:

And the "real deal" is here:

http://wilcobase.com/event.php?event_key=976