We Can Make It Better

To those defending the idiot's actions:

The guy jumped on my friend's wheelchair and used that to boost himself up(without her permission)

yeah, what a classy ass dude.

:o

That's even more fucked up.

I saw your friend; I was watching her beaming while Jeff was singing Hummingbird to her. A beautiful moment. I chatted with her briefly while the security folks were finally figuring out how to get her ticket for her. I hope she enjoyed the show in spite of the crazy behavior.

And the smoking? People were using the STAGE as an ashtray. Very ugly, IMHO.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should expect more of this rude and idiotically inconsiderate behaviour as Wilco grows in popularity.

It's pretty rare, but this kind of stuff has been going on for long time. There was a similar incident in Vancouver at the first Wilco show I saw in July 2000, but VC didn't exist so there were no journalists trolling msg board gossip for a story back then. Some idiot tried to grab Jeff from the edge of the stage during "Misunderstood" (so much for the myth of Canadian politeness) so he had to kick the guy to get free. After that, the band just laughed it off and kept rolling. It was certainly one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen - both for the music and the freakshow. Unfortunately, I don't think a recording (or even a setlist) has ever surfaced.

:o

That's even more fucked up.

I saw your friend; I was watching her beaming while Jeff was singing Hummingbird to her. A beautiful moment. I chatted with her briefly while the security folks were finally figuring out how to get her ticket for her. I hope she enjoyed the show in spite of the crazy behavior.

And the smoking? People were using the STAGE as an ashtray. Very ugly, IMHO.

we're taking applications for a new CBGB's

from http://wilcoworld.net/news/index.php

"Although we normally go WAY out of our way to avoid responding to things like this, we feel obligated to address some sensationalized stories about Monday night's Wilco show in Springfield, Missouri.

Here's a brief synopsis of what happened. It was clear fairly early on that security was a a bit lax at the Shrine Mosque. We had decided in advance to not have a barricade in front of the stage (a mistake?) so the band and crowd could be as close together as possible. The band prefer it that way.

Fairly early in the set, there were a couple of people shoving and roughing up others in front of the stage. Jeff asked everyone to calm down and respect each other and when things did, the band resumed the set.

At the end of the main set, a woman sneaked up a back stairway and entered from a side stage door. Shortly thereafter she ran onto the stage and sat on the piano bench next to keyboardist Mikael Jorgensen while the band played "Poor Places". She was heavily intoxicated and was removed from the stage by several members of the band's crew.

As that situation was getting dealt with, another arose. During the first encore a young man jumped onto the stage and did the requisite salute to his pals. While we certainly do not encourage that kind of behavior, we were prepared to let it go, as he was, it seemed, heading back into the crowd. Just when it appeared he was walking off the stage he turned around and moved towards Tweedy from behind. Jeff did not see him approaching, but felt the guy