First: Go Bulls!

Second: The NBA needed a new ball because ... ?

Third: I always cheer against the Knicks, but this year I'll be cheering against them three times as hard. Here's a hint as to why: (link)

Isiah takes ESPN analyst to task

Knicks GM/coach rips Anthony for draft criticism

Posted: Wednesday October 18, 2006 4:40PM; Updated: Wednesday October 18, 2006 5:15PM

NEW YORK -- The surprising play of rookie forward Renaldo Balkman this preseason has Knicks GM/coach Isiah Thomas feeling good. And he's letting ESPN analyst Greg Anthony, a former Knick, hear about it.

Still upset over Anthony's draft night criticism after the Knicks selected the unheralded Balkman with the No. 20 pick, Thomas ripped his fellow former point guard Wednesday.

"This so-called former Knick, on draft night with millions of people watching, had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and talks about a kid he has absolutely no idea about. I'm just glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas went on to question Anthony's credentials as a TV commentator, and even took a slap at his 12-year NBA playing career.

"Greg Anthony should never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball," Thomas said. "I do remember the kind of player he was. I'll leave it at that.

Balkman, a 6-8 forward from South Carolina, has played well during New York's first three exhibition games. He had 11 points and seven boards in 16 minutes against the Nets in his debut, and had nine points, seven rebounds and two steals in 13 minutes in Tuesday night's exhibition win over the Celtics. His hustle and energy even won over the Madison Square Garden crowd, which gave him a rousing ovation as he left the floor.

With Balkman off to a good start, Thomas felt free to vent some of his pent-up anger.

"This is between Greg and I," Thomas said in a lengthy diatribe about Anthony to the media after the Knicks practice. "The things he said on draft night ... after all the good solid work we had done in the draft ... for him to take that position he took ... I thought he was way way way out of bounds."

Thomas , who was booed by the New York crowd and widely panned by other ESPN commentators on draft night, said he was singling out Anthony because of his status as a former Knicks player. He said he hadn't spoken to Anthony, but would love to in the future.

"I just thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It would be different had he not worn a Knick uniform. But for a guy who claims to have been a Knick, to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night ... I know a Piston would never do that. A Celtic would never do that. A Laker would never do that. It wouldn't happen. It just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas went on to refer to Anthony several more times during the remainder of the 15-minute session with reporters, sometimes even on unrelated questions.

When asked whether he could see Balkman someday defending LeBron James or Tracy McGrady, Thomas replied, "Wait a minute, hold on now ... you can run him out there but he'll probably get stepped on a little bit ... Unlike Greg Anthony, I do have respect for others."

When asked about the Knicks' dismal season a year ago, and what role all the injuries played, Thomas said, "We all were in a funk last year ... Greg Anthony was in a funk."

Later, when talking about Balkman's ability to handle the ball, a reporter jokingly asked if he had a better handle than Greg Anthony. "Most definitely," Thomas said. "Greg could only go left."

Anthony declined to comment through an ESPN spokesman.

Isiah is a punk.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm STILL going with a Cleveland/LA matchup in the Finals.   Orlando's 3-point shooting is insanely good. They will NOT keep up the torid pace. Orlando is gonna give it all in Game 5, and will keep it

Posted Images

I think the new ball is synthetic, where as the old one was real leather. Perhaps the change was a nod to animal rights folks. All indicators are that the new ball sucks though. Too slippery, not as bouncy. They're gonna have to do something about that.

Isiah has no business getting upset about people criticizing the way he's run that team. He's done a horrible job. Even if this particular move pays off (which it probably won't, now that this kid will be relying on Isiah to coach him into the NBA game), it doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with Anthony's criticism.

Isiah is such a douchebag.

They went with the new ball, I heard, because it doesn't have to be broken in the way a leather ball does and it should be more consistent from ball to ball (easier to standardize than leather). It also has less space for the grooves.

Pre-season field goal percentage has been the same, I guess.

Isiah was even a douchebag as a player. He's one of those guys that everyone knew they'd hate if he wasn't on their team. Almost as much as Laimbeer. Although nowadays, Laimbeer is way more beloved in Detroit than Isiah is.

I remember one time when Isiah broke his hand punching Laimbeer in the back of the head, while Laimbeer was left unhurt. That was awesome. That's what should happen when you sucker punch someone like that (especially your own teammate).

I do love how, after being in Isiah's shadow during the Bad Boys years, Joe Dumars is having the last laugh now. Not that I expect the Pistons to win the championship this year, but there's no doubt that Dumars has been one of the best execs in the NBA in recent years, and Isiah has been arguably the worst.

I liked Greg Anthony, who has done far more for the Knicks than Isiah Thomas has to this point.

To demonstrate how far that franchise has fallen, they've been running infomercials on TV to get people to buy season tickets. Willis Reed and Walt "Clyde" Frazier didn't need an infomercial. Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley didn't need an infomercial. Latrell Sprewell didn't need an infomercial.

Shaq don't like the new ball.

For the first time since I was a little kid, I am officially a man without a team. Isiah taking over as coach was the last straw. I've never rooted for anyone other than the Knicks, so it's kinda hard to change now. Think I'll just stick with college.

For the first time since I was a little kid, I am officially a man without a team. Isiah taking over as coach was the last straw. I've never rooted for anyone other than the Knicks, so it's kinda hard to change now. Think I'll just stick with college.

I thought about divorcing the Knicks too, in favor of rooting for the Pistons, but now, I don't know.

I liked Greg Anthony, who has done far more for the Knicks than Isiah Thomas has to this point.

To demonstrate how far that franchise has fallen, they've been running infomercials on TV to get people to buy season tickets. Willis Reed and Walt "Clyde" Frazier didn't need an infomercial. Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley didn't need an infomercial. Latrell Sprewell didn't need an infomercial.

I was with ya all the way till Spreeeeewell :lol

I liked Latrell and his "take no shit" attitude. That attitude is the essence of being a New Yorker.

The NBA should move the 3 point line in and get rid of that illegal defense crap.

They already did get rid of illegal defense, for the most part. They loosened up the rules and it gets called a hell of a lot less often these days.

My initial response to your message was going to be this:

The NBA should play by NCAA rules.

Yea! The thread has been started.

First of all,thank you (& you know who you are :D ) for NOT mentioning the events of the last couple of weeks here in the basketball capital of the universe :thumbup.I'm so disgusted that I'm really beyond words.

Of course I'll still be hoping for a good season here,but if it's anything like last year....

Stephen Jackson=Ron Artest= :frusty :frusty :frusty :frusty :realmad :realmad :realmad

I think as a punishment for Stephen Jackson's wreckless actions, the Pacers should be forced to bring back Isiah Thomas.

Just bringing the thread back full circle....yep...

You're savage,cruel & heartless,Mr. Rain :lol