Elliott Smith is missed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't he like stab himself in the heart with a steak knife? How is that getting back on track?

I don't have any opinion on this, other than he made good music, I just thought that was a bit of an odd choice of words. I don't mean to be a dick, and I know I'm probably coming off as a huge dick, but I always thought it was a suicide?

I think what was implied in that statement was that Elliott was getting off drugs and that was the cause of him getting his life back together. He was going through a lot of heavy stuff (he was alledgely abused by his stepfather) and for awhile in his final months it seemed he was going to pull through, but we all know how it turned out.

--Mike

Didn't he like stab himself in the heart with a steak knife? How is that getting back on track?

I don't have any opinion on this, other than he made good music, I just thought that was a bit of an odd choice of words. I don't mean to be a dick, and I know I'm probably coming off as a huge dick, but I always thought it was a suicide?

yeah mpolak said it well. and its always been said it was a suicide but i'm really torn. whether he killed himself, or whether his girlfriend killed him we may never know... and its sad not to know the complete truth.

and don't feel bad, whenever i post something on here i always go back and read it and feel like a complete dick. :cheers

There's also a theory that Elliot asked his gf to stab him, hence the lack of a hesitation wound. This is what Elliot's family thinks, from what I've heard.

And I just listened to Figure 8 for the first time in probably 15 months. It's excellent.

Here's is a great feature on him that Under The Radar did in June of 2003. http://www.undertheradarmag.com/es.html

I couldn't find the Spin piece that they ran after Basement came out which focused on his death, when I am home this weekend, I'll try to pull out that back issue and transcribe it. It's quite good.

--Mike

• 1 year later...

I was randomly listening to Elliott yesterday too! No Name 1-5 all give me goosebumps. Roman Candle and the Self Title have got to be two of the most sparse but emotional albums of recent memory. Something about the leaves turning, winter approaching and Elliotts music that go hand and hand. RIP

5 years? I still feel it like it was yesterday.

His music is still gut-wrenching for me. Sometimes I just can't bear it and have to move on.

But I always come back.

Great thread guys.

I heard about his death at work the next morning and simply walked right out of the office. Very tough day.

After him and Buckley, I'm scared to have music idols now. They all die on me.

RIP.

• 4 years later...

The only one that I have is XO. I was thinking this weekend that I should pick up some more of his stuff.

What next?

s/t?

Roman Candle?

The only one that I have is XO. I was thinking this weekend that I should pick up some more of his stuff.

What next?

s/t?

Roman Candle?

Most would say Either/Or however I think Figure 8 is a good follow up..if you prefer more sparce acoustic songs self titled would be my pick.

I haven't been too impressed by the Heatmiser albums. I suppose if you're a completist they could be interesting, as an unfolding and growing of an artist, but they didn't do much for me. Mic City Sons is the best of them. 

I love Elliott's voice so it is good to hear, even on songs that aren't his best.