Elliott Smith is missed.

I haven't been too impressed by the Heatmiser albums. I suppose if you're a completist they could be interesting, as an unfolding and growing of an artist, but they didn't do much for me. Mic City Sons is the best of them. 

I love Elliott's voice so it is good to hear, even on songs that aren't his best.

Thanks. I've read where Elliott said he wasn't into what Heatmiser was doing. I'll probably only get those albums if I can find them dirt cheap.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread made me dig out Figure 8 yesterday. I haven't listened to it in such a long time and I had forgotten what an extraordinary album it is.

Can I surmise from the very few musicians credited that Elliott played everything else on the album?

This thread made me dig out Figure 8 yesterday. I haven't listened to it in such a long time and I had forgotten what an extraordinary album it is.

Can I surmise from the very few musicians credited that Elliott played everything else on the album?

Yeah, he was a whiz on guitar, piano, bass and drums (Kotche has cited him a few times as one of his favorites, they were friends in the nineties).

There are only 6 studio albums and they are all essential.

Absolutely. I have all of his LPs, still in plastic, framed on my 90s wall with some Jeff Buckley stuff. They're all essential.

Mic City Songs is ok...Get Lucky is a catchy song.

Another vote for Mic City Sons. It's a little uneven as a record, but Get Lucky, Pop in G, and Plainclothes Man are all fantastic. Pop in G is incredibly infectious. Plainclothes has some killer lyrics and I love the build up when Elliott belts "I remember why I dream in Black & Whiiiiite..." So good.