Concert Etiquette

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're pretty goddamn full of yourself for someone who still shouts "Freebird" at concerts.

Well, I'll be honest with you here, the only time I personally ever shouted "Freebird" was at this little coffee shop venue where everybody at the show knew the guy. But I do laugh when other people shout it.

Not everybody who gets beers at a show ends up drunk. Incredibly, some people just enjoy the taste of beer.

Amen to that. Nothin' like a tasty Guinness after work.

I once peed on a guys leg in freedom hall('82) at a Van Halen show because I did not want to loose my spot in the second row.
And I thought I'd done everything I could to rid myself of the Vile Individual. Wow. Sir, you are incredible.
Incredibly, some people enjoy shouting "Freebird" at concerts.

Unlike "cowbell", freebird never gets old.

So don't get mad...get elitist! That's right, folks, despite the fact that rock music is a vital, democratic, blue-collar, working-class, energetic art form, with constantly new and evolving ways of expressing itself, abandon it for a dying, decaying corpse of a bourgeousie musical form: classical! That's right, listen to stuff by guys that are so dead, they make your grandparents look alive and kicking! Listen to the final death rattles of an art form devised specifically by and for the upper class as a way of distinguishing themselves from peasants. Listen to the expiratory throes of a form that refuses to acknowledge its own irrelevance!

Don't like the smell of beer on your clothes when you come home from a show? Got yourself in a tizzy over cigarette-scented underbunnies? Not to worry! Go to a classical show and listen to dead music! Who knows? You just might end up dead yourself!

Masked Hater VI?

not me. i'd sooner buy a vintage retro-washed pac-man tee at urban outfitters than use the word 'underbunnies'. i'll bet $5 that kid owns at least one item w/ the pabst blue ribbon logo on it and another $10 he won't watch the Office on NBC because it's not the original BBC version.

loosen your scarf, project runway. it's a rock show, not an immigration rally.

not me. i'd sooner buy a vintage retro-washed pac-man tee at urban outfitters than use the word 'underbunnies'. i'll bet $5 that kid owns at least one item w/ the pabst blue ribbon logo on it and another $10 he won't watch the Office on NBC because it's not the original BBC version.

Do you wear your mask to shows? And do you call shows "gigs"?

So don't get mad...get elitist! That's right, folks, despite the fact that rock music is a vital, democratic, blue-collar, working-class, energetic art form, with constantly new and evolving ways of expressing itself, abandon it for a dying, decaying corpse of a bourgeousie musical form: classical! That's right, listen to stuff by guys that are so dead, they make your grandparents look alive and kicking! Listen to the final death rattles of an art form devised specifically by and for the upper class as a way of distinguishing themselves from peasants. Listen to the expiratory throes of a form that refuses to acknowledge its own irrelevance!

Don't like the smell of beer on your clothes when you come home from a show? Got yourself in a tizzy over cigarette-scented underbunnies? Not to worry! Go to a classical show and listen to dead music! Who knows? You just might end up dead yourself!

1. Democratic? Please explain what you mean.

2. Blue-collar? (well maybe that's true in America, but although the famous English Rock acts of the past might have acted like they were working class, they were pretty much all a middle class bunch)

3. What exactly is your point?

No, it does.

No way, man, that shit's every bit as funny as the first time.

No wonder you don't "get" Mozart.

Don't get Mozart? Who said anything about me not liking Mozart? I just know a dead art form when I see it, and I don't bother to go to Mozart performances, except theater. And honestly, his best work is for the theater setting.

I love Mozart! Don't presume so much.

Masked Hater VI?
Must be an inside joke.

The assumptions continue to abound...

I don't own a vintage retro-whatever it is. I have no PBR merchandise--I drink beer, I don't wear it. I do prefer the original BBC version of the Office, because it's better, but through a strange twist of the way things are, I only have the American version on DVD at the moment. Because it's still pretty good.

I don't like hipsters and trendies either, dude. And I've never heard one of them say "underbunnies." Picked that up from one of my geek buddies in a Superman vs. Batman discussion.

Immigration rally? Wha...whuh?

Yount.
Like the guy who used to play for the Brewers?
1. Democratic? Please explain what you mean.

2. Blue-collar? (well maybe that's true in America, but although the famous English Rock acts of the past might have acted like they were working class, they were pretty much all a middle class bunch)

3. What exactly is your point?

1. Rock music, more than most forms, is defined by the listener. What is popular is played. Unfortunately, the rock community has forgotten how to use that quality to its advantage, rather than its detriment.

2. Yes, it's true in America, and it's our art form. We ripped it off from black people before the English did.

3. The guy proposes that we all go to classical shows because of a few people talking too loudly at rock shows. It's elitism, and it pisses me off that people will run to a dead art form, an art form with a history of classism, to escape the very minor vagaries of the greatest and most vital musical form this country has to offer right now.

It's not going to stop until venues stop serving alcohol at shows, and get rid of all seating..........................................That's my story.

Wow, where you do start with this. First off, irony is clearly lost on this guy. Of course we don't all have to go to classical concerts rather than rock ones, but the point is, some types of music (including jazz and folk venues to a greater or lesser extent), do not tolerate the kind of behavior that goes on at rock shows. FYI to jono11, I come home many a night smelling like beer and cigarettes, because I like seeing rock music also. I am also in the demographic of the guy he was dissing and more often than not it is the younger fans who act the fool rather than the older ones since the older guys like me DON"T GO to rock shows because there aren't seats and there is too much bullshit involved. Calling rock more vital than other kinds of music (including classical) is just so much bullshit that there is nowhere to even start with it. Sure classical audiences are diminishing as people age, but that doesn't diminish its importance or quality. The same also happens to be true about jazz, folk and bluegrass by the way. In fact if ever there was a genre that needs something, it happens to be rock, but I suppose we shouldn't really go there.

I don't think we should assume that rock audiences are more alive than any other audience nor that rock is more vital than other types either. That is about as elitist as you can get. Yea jono11 I am probably gonna be dead long before you are, but until then I figure on squeezing everything out of life I can get; but I intend to do it with as much respect for myself and my fellow show goers as I can and that includes having the right to not get stuff spilled on me, get burned, get pushed aside from my space, have someone talk through an entire show if I don't want to hear them and any number of other things. Needless to say it is going to happen and there ain't really shit I can do about it, but for us all to remind one another that we are all individuals with the right to enjoy ourselves without being threated or mistreated shouldn't be too much to ask.

LouieB

no - that room only holds a thousand I think

the show did not sell out

It does hold only a thousand, and it didn't come close to selling out, but I overheard some WVU people say they'd sold 600 tickets. Still a very small crowd, but a bit more than 200.

Wow, where you do start with this. First off, irony is clearly lost on this guy. Of course we don't all have to go to classical concerts rather than rock ones, but the point is, some types of music (including jazz and folk venues to a greater or lesser extent), do not tolerate the kind of behavior that goes on at rock shows. FYI to jono11, I come home many a night smelling like beer and cigarettes, because I like seeing rock music also. I am also in the demographic of the guy he was dissing and more often than not it is the younger fans who act the fool rather than the older ones since the older guys like me DON"T GO to rock shows because there aren't seats and there is too much bullshit involved. Calling rock more vital than other kinds of music (including classical) is just so much bullshit that there is nowhere to even start with it. Sure classical audiences are diminishing as people age, but that doesn't diminish its importance or quality. The same also happens to be true about jazz, folk and bluegrass by the way. In fact if ever there was a genre that needs something, it happens to be rock, but I suppose we shouldn't really go there.

I don't think we should assume that rock audiences are more alive than any other audience nor that rock is more vital than other types either. That is about as elitist as you can get. Yea jono11 I am probably gonna be dead long before you are, but until then I figure on squeezing everything out of life I can get; but I intend to do it with as much respect for myself and my fellow show goers as I can and that includes having the right to not get stuff spilled on me, get burned, get pushed aside from my space, have someone talk through an entire show if I don't want to hear them and any number of other things. Needless to say it is going to happen and there ain't really shit I can do about it, but for us all to remind one another that we are all individuals with the right to enjoy ourselves without being threated or mistreated shouldn't be too much to ask.

LouieB

1. The phrase "irony is lost on this guy" means nothing if you don't detail the irony.

2. Haven't been to too many bluegrass festivals, have you? Loud, drunken debauchery is the rule at such places.

3. If I offended the sensibilities of your generation, I apologize. I should make it clear that my parents are aging hippies as well. The distinction I draw between them and most other members of their generation is that they were effective--leaders of Cesar Chavez's legal team during the farmworkers' union movement, presiding over many hard-won victories.

4. Classical music is always looking backward (and I am friends with enough classical musicians, and I listen to enough classical music to not just be talking out my ass) while rock music is always looking forward, often to an unhealthy degree. I was just arguing with a buddy last night over his statement that rock music should always be pushed forward and further, and that he often enjoys a band simply for their ability to do so. That's the sentiment all too much in the underground rock scenes, and while I disagree with it, it does represent a vitality to the genre that most other forms don't exhibit.

5. Classical music's importance to the history of music is not diminished by the decline in its vitality, nor is its quality. But it is dying, and feeding off of itself rather than moving forward.

6. Jazz, folk, and bluegrass are also reinventing themselves. That's what makes them more vital than classical. They don't recieve as much recognition for it, which is why I call them less vital than rock music.

7. Fair enough. You have those expectations for a concert, and I suppose most of us have similar ones. But the fact that they've been less than satisfied once or twice in your life is not enough to warrant telling people to scamper off to classical shows where they can revel in their upper-classery.

1. Rock music, more than most forms, is defined by the listener. What is popular is played. Unfortunately, the rock community has forgotten how to use that quality to its advantage, rather than its detriment.

2. Yes, it's true in America, and it's our art form. We ripped it off from black people before the English did.

3. The guy proposes that we all go to classical shows because of a few people talking too loudly at rock shows. It's elitism, and it pisses me off that people will run to a dead art form, an art form with a history of classism, to escape the very minor vagaries of the greatest and most vital musical form this country has to offer right now.

1. I thought that the birth of Rock music instead of say, Rock N' Roll was said to be the point where Dylan was shouted at as a Judas and his reply was to play fucking loud. So from it's very birth your statement proves false. I would actually define Rock music as being very confrontational with its audience instead of bowing down to what the masses want to hear. Its the difference between proper Rock music and a bunch of people just playing very loud.

2. The people that 'stole' it from the black people were far from working class, certainly many were, but just as many were not - certainly the majority of the ones that took the blues and country and whatever else and turned it into Rock music during the 1960's - and the archivists who made field recordings for those people outside the Southern States to hear it.

3. He was clearly joking.

Bestill my heart.