Glenn Kotche's the most talented drummer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn Kotche = Wilco

No doubt that 90% of their great stuff in the last 5 years is unique and powerful because of his godly rhythms.

hy-per-bo-le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

If I could have anyone in the world in my band, he would be the one.

There's simply nothing he plays that I would want to change. I don't know how it gets better than that.

:worship

I am in total agreement. There are times I put on Foxtrot, Ghost and Kicking TV and just listen to Kotche's parts. Ken Coomer was a pretty solid drummer, but bringing Glenn was the best desicion of the band ever made.

--Mike

Glenn's boyish good looks clearly dictate his simple yet trancendent persussionism. His style is existensial but accessible. Plus, I hear he has excellent personal hygiene. :hitit

All jokes aside, Glenn is a phenominal drummer. His solo stuff is very weird. "Monkey Chant" is particularly strange. :monkey

Tweedy and Kotche constitute what I feel to be the most remarkable collaborators in the history of rock. Never has such an incredibly gifted songwriter dealt with such an amazingly unique musician.

....think: Lou Reed and Maureen Tucker...but better

Guest Speed Racer
Glenn is a fantastic drummer and an essential part of the current Wilco. I hope he never leaves. Monkey Chant is great.

LouieB

That's the thing - Glenn Kotche's strength with Wilco lies in that he is a true percussionist, and not just drummer. His 'inglenntions' and other, more standard (but not necessarily to rock) percussive tools and methods are, to me, what makes him so essential.

That's the thing - Glenn Kotche's strength with Wilco lies in that he is a true percussionist, and not just drummer. His 'inglenntions' and other, more standard (but not necessarily to rock) percussive tools and methods are, to me, what makes him so essential.

:yes Yeah, Glenn is just plain fantastic, he's a great drummer, percussionist, and musician on the whole. Anyone who could play Reich's "Clapping Music" between their two hands is pretty talented in my book, and "Monkey Chant" is a great piece. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to see any of the Glenn/Nels shows, that would've been awsome.

Seeing Glenn solo is always a delight. It was sure fun to see him in a setting with other percussionists and in an improv a few months back.

LouieB

I was prompted to start this thread when watching the "sunken treasure" dvd last night. When they get to "Not For The Season," Jeff basically looks over to Glenn and says something to the effect of "why don't you start it," at which point Glenn, like the flick of a switch, merges from his smiling, affable self, into a rhythm machine. It's almost eerie to see him jump into that mode, and once he's in it, there are no distractions. just zoned.

I'm not saying he's the only drummer that can do such a thing, by any means. But his output, and the way I imagine he helped shape the tunes on YHF and AGIB, not to mention the new life he's given to the old material, just blows me away. As someone who has written songs and tried to develop them with other musicians, there is no substitue in the world for a drummer who not only immediately picks up your vision for a song, but actually teaches you something and makes the song better along the way.

and there's absolutely no ego in his performances. It's about the songs.

Please stick around, Glenn. You da man.

:rock

I was prompted to start this thread when watching the "sunken treasure" dvd last night. When they get to "Not For The Season," Jeff basically looks over to Glenn and says something to the effect of "why don't you start it," at which point Glenn, like the flick of a switch, merges from his smiling, affable self, into a rhythm machine.

tsk tsk tsk.

I think you mean "Laminated Cat"

But I completely agree, Glenn is amazing, and that moment was great.

tsk tsk tsk.

I think you mean "Laminated Cat"

But I completely agree, Glenn is amazing, and that moment was great.

I refuse to acknowledge that title in that it is degrading to cats, whom I simply adore.

:ermm

Glenn is my favorite drummer/percussionist besides my husband, who knocks my ... off.

any man who can knock off a woman's ellipsis in such a manner is indeed worthy of respect.

:D