Glenn Kotche's the most talented drummer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is known to work, then I'll have to try threatening myself. I'll update later with the ongoing treatment.

Yeah, let me know. She doesn't seem to be particlarly dissuaded.

:lol

best ever? probably not, depends on personal taste, but there are a few that are pretty standard when talking about best ever(roach, rich and bonham, and moon come to mind). Biggest kit (BTW) probably Neil Peart, not Carter.

I'm not going to compare,but it should be said that Michael Travis is a total badass too :music

best ever? probably not, depends on personal taste, but there are a few that are pretty standard when talking about best ever(roach, rich and bonham, and moon come to mind).

can't speak for the others, but I qualified my opinion by stating that he's the most talented drummer that I have ever seen.

Glenn freakin' rocks without a doubt. We all have favorites and I know I've heard more technical players but the way he does it, solo and with Wilco, makes me really like what he does. As a drummer my favorite ever is Josh Freese, he is amazing.

Glen is great at what he does, he deserves a little praise :).

I'm not a drummer and I don't know much about them. But to me, a great drummer is one who can come in and not just start showing off by playing complex parts or anything, but one who can completely figure out what the song needs in terms of percussion, whether it be a lot or a little, and can not only figure out that amount, but play it in such a way that the song would be totally different without it.

Glenn does just that.

Thanks Glenn.

It's sad to say but the drumming on some of those tracks just sounds so lost. From what I understand those are the versions with Ken drumming on em. Either that or Glenn took some time finding the right stuff.
I read somewhere that Glenn showed up with a whole notebook full of notes on how he could play each part of the songs. That might have been in Kot's book. Either way, that's an amazing way to approach drumming/musicianship. And...I can't get over seeing him play a melody on the xylophone while drumming something else. Just phenomenal.
Stay tuned for "A dramatic reinactment of Jay Bennett's exit of rock group Wilco, performed by emoticons."

since it never came, here it is:

wilco were rocking on the summerteeth/mermaid avenue vol 2 tour: :rock :dancing

discussing heavy metal drummer in the loft: jay - :hyper jeff: :hmm :unsure :rolleyes

jeff a few minutes later in the toilet: :throwup

jay: :upset

rest of wilco: :innocent :rolleyes

wilco at grant part, 4/7/01: :rock

jay at the end of the show: :wave

jay, soon afterwards: :ohwell

jeff: :dancing :thumbup

wilco onstage from september 2001 : :rock

discussing heavy metal drummer in the loft: jay - :hyper jeff: :hmm :unsure :rolleyes

for the record... calistar= Nonlinear Nonfiction

AND

Way to go! Probably my third favorite storytelling device: the emoticon! After miming and cartoons.

Thanks Froggie! We were waiting on that :cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, look, I didn't want to have to do this, but I just can't keep quiet any longer. Some of these drummers you've probably heard of, and some you probably haven't. Either way, these are some fantastic solos. Glenn is derfinitely one of my favorites and no doubt seeing him play "Monkey Chant" live was one of the best moments in my life(he's also a super nice fellow). For all interested, here you go.

Chad Sexton(311)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqeF7Ykxv8...ted&search=

Chad Smith(RHCP)

John Bonham(Zeppelin-moby dick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47lv3QTkbo

John Blackwell(Prince)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RpYRyE7Rm0

Johnny Rabb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y8gmgG4W3M

Thomas Lang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2RAGnTh1E

Virgil Donati

• 6 months later...
I was prompted to start this thread when watching the "sunken treasure" dvd last night. When they get to "Not For The Season," Jeff basically looks over to Glenn and says something to the effect of "why don't you start it," at which point Glenn, like the flick of a switch, merges from his smiling, affable self, into a rhythm machine. It's almost eerie to see him jump into that mode, and once he's in it, there are no distractions. just zoned.

What freaks me out is when he is 'zoned' and stares right at you with a stern face for like a minute straight, while he's playing. I just smiled back because I don't know what else to do.

My amazement lies in the way he places different rhythms in different limbs(clapping music in two hands).

Yeah, he uses both feet, both hands, and sometimes even his mouth.

Tweedy and Kotche constitute what I feel to be the most remarkable collaborators in the history of rock. Never has such an incredibly gifted songwriter dealt with such an amazingly unique musician.

....think: Lou Reed and Maureen Tucker...but better

i found it so cool when i read that kotch studied under tucker; my two favorite bands ever are wierdly connected!

Glenn is amazing....He is an essential part of Wilco.

I would have to think the most talented drummer is Carter Beauford though...anyone agree?

Yeah, I'd have to agree that Carter could probably run circles around Glen in terms of raw talent, just not playing for Wilco. Glenn is perfect to Wilco just as Beauford is for dMb.