Any plans this Sunday to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Being There?

Sweet! This is around the time I got into them. I think I bought Being There Mid Nov 96?? :cheers

Then I saw em at Irving Plaza Feb 97 and was hoooooked!

I can't believe its been 10 years..Im getting old! :hmm

Depending on the day, my favorite Wilco album is always Being There OR one of the others. It will never drop out of the top 2.

What's amazing about it, to me, is how great BOTH discs of Being There are. Disc 1 seems to be more of the crowd pleaser....and it was to me for a long time. But Disc 2 is equally great.

Seriously, is it the tenth anniversary? We definitely need to celebrate... :cheers

Being There is the best studio made two-disc album from any band that I own, anyone know of any others that can compare?

:lol I predict this thread will now take a turn for the worse.

The White Album

Physical Graffiti

Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

Frampton Comes Alive!! :lol have at it. :ninja

This is kinda nuts, but I listened to nothing but Being There in my glass studio for almost two years.

:blink

It wasn't until YHF came out that I realized there were other Wilco offerings besides the Mermaids.

I have luddite leanings, and it never occurred to me that the internet was a music machine.

Well, one way to celebrate I guess is to try and show our love for Being There in as many ways as possible via this forum... so now that we've placed it among London Calling, The Wall, Physical Graffiti & Melon Collie and the Inifinte Sadness ...what I would like to know is...

What's your favorite line/moment on Being There?

My vote -

"Why...would you...wanna live...in this world?" then an awesome banjo/piano duet :thumbup

My vote -

"Why...would you...wanna live...in this world?" then an awesome banjo/piano duet :thumbup

Of all the BT songs, this one I miss the most being played live. I think the current line-up could do some creative things with this song. I love it.

Being There was the second Wilco album I purchased, after Mermaid Avenue I. I liked it a lot but never found myself listening to it in its entirety. At the time I was more into Folk-Rock than Alt-Country or Country Rock or whatever we want to try to label BT as representing (70's boogie, southern rock, etc.). A number of the songs just didn't connect with me (A.M. is still pretty hit and miss with me as a whole). I purchased Summerteeth and loved it and it became my favorite Wilco album up to that point. When YHF hit, I couldn't stop playing it. That's when I started to collect live shows and the Compilations of Wilco. That's right around the time I started exploring Uncle Tupelo and purchasing all their albums, and then purchasing the reissues. From time to time, I'd play some of Being There, but several songs I'd skip. Like some here, I would make a condensed one-disc version, keeping my favorite tracks and jettisoning those I found to be somewhat inferior.

When A Ghost Is Born hit, like YHF, I listened to it so much that my wife accuses me of loving Jeff Tweedy more than her. I collected every show since AGIB was released. However, once they started touring with Nels and Pat, less and less Being There and virtually no A.M. was represented in their live shows. I found myself listening to all the 2004-present shows and while enjoying them immensely and impressed by the musicianship of the current line-up, at times the somber subject matters, the lyrics, the mid-tempo rock, and the predictable setlists began to bum me out. On those rare occasions when a rare Being There track made it onto the setlist, I found myself appreciating the songs in a way I had not up to that point.

A.M. and Being There to me represent a period and time where Wilco's music was more playful, fun, throwaway, and less somber. For awhile I considered Being There to be supremely inferior lyrically to Summerteeth, YHF, and AGIB. And while I still find some of the lyrics to be nothing you would collect in the form of a poetry book, the more I have listened to it (especially with Jeff's acoustic solo shows, which is where Being There and A.M. only seem to surface with any great regularity) the more I appreciate the lyrics. I appreciate the growth of Jeff's insights and lyrics, but I appreciate the sincerity and more boyish charm that can be found in his BT lyrics. Without his solo acoustic shows, I might not appreciate (Was I) in Your Dreams, Say You Miss Me, or Forget The Flowers like I do now.

Because I came to fully appreciate BT later in my Wilco experience, I'm not necessarily ready to have it ascend to the top of my Wilco album list (YHF to me is flawless). However, I can never again dismiss someone's opinion that Being There is their favorite Wilco album, because someday it very well may be my favorite Wilco Album.

FYI - I'm really excited about the new album because songs like Walken remind me a lot of Being There Music + 10 years of wisdom, experience, and musical maturity. If they make it on the final album, Walken and What Light to me guarentees that the new album could not possibly suck or be disappointing to me.

That was more than I thought I was going to write.

first Wilco album I bought as well. I remember getting ready for 7th grade and seeing a music video of people jumping out of a plane and making my brother take me straight to the record store after school. I was the only kid in 7th grade who didn't listen to Snoop Dogg anymore!

Any plans this Sunday to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Being There?

The Wilco Ensemble in Chicago will be performing both discs in their entirety this Sunday at 909 W Armitage, 8pm I think. No charge, and it's BYOB

(I bet you thought it was a silly question didn't you :D )

Being There is the best studio made two-disc album from any band that I own, anyone know of any others that can compare?

As for studio made double albums, surely Pink Floyd "The Wall" is the best???

*runs and hides*

Three words

Exile on Main Street

ok four

Well, one way to celebrate I guess is to try and show our love for Being There in as many ways as possible via this forum... so now that we've placed it among London Calling, The Wall, Physical Graffiti & Melon Collie and the Inifinte Sadness ...what I would like to know is...

My vote -

:lol Good enough, but not the best ever.....London Calling is far better also.

LouieB

I'll agree that it is put together very well - but to me the music is boring as heck. I am not much of a Pink Floyd fan to begin with.