"Cracker " The band appreciation thread!

Me too. But I do enjoy Cracker.

I have a hard time getting into Camper..maybe it is because I grew up only knowing of Cracker. I did see Camper about 2 years ago and they were fun but I am a Cracker fan. I want to give Camper a good try though...recommendations on where to start?

I have a hard time getting into Camper..maybe it is because I grew up only knowing of Cracker. I did see Camper about 2 years ago and they were fun but I am a Cracker fan. I want to give Camper a good try though...recommendations on where to start?

Start with Key Lime Pie and work your way backwards. Those last 2 records are the most like Cracker.

But I love the faux-ethnic stuff that they did on Telephone-Free Landslide Victory, Camper Van Bethoven, and Camper Van Beethoven II. Mixed in with the folk/pop kinda thing that they did so well, it made for a really interesting mix.

I actually prefer Cracker over Camper although it's close. Of course I just saw Cracker a little over a week ago so I am biased right now. In fact I just downloaded the show from the Colorado Tapers site. The new album is fantastic and sounds really strong live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good band.

[music snob] I still prefer older Camper. [/music snob]

Ibid. WDST pretty much ruined Cracker for me through their incessant playing of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just won a contest where I will be brewing beer at O'Dell's brewing in Ft Collins CO with Johnny Hickman from Cracker. Think I Will ask him how he makes his Les Paul sound like a Telecaster. Think I Will hit him up for lessons.

Just won a contest where I will be brewing beer at O'Dell's brewing in Ft Collins CO with Johnny Hickman from Cracker. Think I Will ask him how he makes his Les Paul sound like a Telecaster. Think I Will hit him up for lessons.

Love Johnny! Big reason I always prefer Cracker to CVB. Hope you get some lessons, and make some good Johnny beer.

LINK

Ha that's cool! Take pictures! Spoke to Johnny a few times he's a nice guy

Me (lower left - incapable of taking a good picture) and Johnny (lower right) brewing beer.  Got to hang out in the sun on the patio and drink beer for several hours with him.  Chatted about guitars, music, file sharing, kids.  Super nice guy. 

Somehow we got to talking about the Replacements and he was telling me he almost got to be the guitar player on the last tour.  Said Tommy Stinson told him that if they toured he was the guy.  He started learning all the songs and everything until Westerberg put the Kibosh on it and brought in his own guy.  He said he was so bummed as he is a huge fan.  Learned all sorts of cool info from him like that. 

Oh, we brewed a White IPA that will be served at the Fort Collins Music Fest:

Beerbrewing_zpsb608a8f3.jpg

That's very cool Moss and the picture ain't so bad at all.

Interesting to hear that Replacements story. I know that gig would've been a dream come true for me, as I'm sure it would've been for many guitar players.

• 6 months later...