Jeff Tweedy Champaign

lasts nights show was so beautiful and perfect.

i didn't hear anyone utter a word during any of the songs, although there were a few yip-yowlers and song requesters but it didn't bother me. the crowd was mostly reverent- in awe, i think- and they were hesitant to sing along but i think that was because it was so quiet! once everyone joined in, it was fun. i loved the 'is that the thanks i get?' "we can make it better" sing along!!! (jeff- "you could do it better" crowd- "we could sing/do/make it betbtrrtr...")

after 4 hours on the road, i had the absolute joy of being able to sit the whole show (no one was in front of me, either!) and even though i was in row Q, it was a great seat! it seemed like any seat had a good view.

the songs were the best. the setlist was varied and its always nice to hear a new song- the instrumental was pretty, too. sunken treasure gets me every time and the extreme quiet in the auditorium made it even more chilling than normal. jeff wasn't in perfect form (forgotten words, etc) but thats what makes a show charming and funny.

the crisp fall evening and being on a beautiful college campus just made it all that much better. the fall leaves were blowing everywhere and it was chilly and perfect. kris and i even went to a pumpkin patch before leaving downstate today to top it all off.

ive been to a great number of wilco/tweedy shows and this might be on my top 5! it was just so so beautiful. i never really care about this but... i hoped this was taped!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kris, we looked for you guys, but didn't see you.

i take it you enjoyed the show?

we were sitting right by the soundboard. so we were a bit towards the back. once the show was over, we shuffled back to the hotel. Alison went to sleep and I watched Wolfen.

the show was excellent, highlights for me were In a Future Age, Radio King and the new tune. also, Walken is becoming better everytime I hear it (solo or full band).

bringing this over here.

i didn't hear anyone utter a word during any of the songs, although there were a few yip-yowlers and song requesters but it didn't bother me. the crowd was mostly reverent- in awe, i think- and they were hesitant to sing along but i think that was because it was so quiet! once everyone joined in, it was fun. i loved the 'is that the thanks i get?' "we can make it better" sing along!!! (jeff- "you could do it better" crowd- "we could sing/do/make it betbtrrtr...")

after 4 hours on the road, i had the absolute joy of being able to sit the whole show (no one was in front of me, either!) and even though i was in row Q, it was a great seat! it seemed like any seat had a good view.

the songs were the best. the setlist was varied and its always nice to hear a new song- the instrumental was pretty, too. sunken treasure gets me every time and the extreme quiet in the auditorium made it even more chilling than normal. jeff wasn't in perfect form (forgotten words, etc) but thats what makes a show charming and funny.

the crisp fall evening and being on a beautiful college campus just made it all that much better. the fall leaves were blowing everywhere and it was chilly and perfect. kris and i even went to a pumpkin patch before leaving downstate today to top it all off.

ive been to a great number of wilco/tweedy shows and this might be on my top 5! it was just so so beautiful. i never really care about this but... i hoped this was taped!

glad that you and kris had fun! i think you are right in saying that there was no bad view. oh, and yes, it was taped. there were two tapers! :D

"

idiot: FREEBIRD!!

tweedy: why you gotta crap in the punch bowl

"

that was definetly the funniest line of the night

Ryan, friggen ay if I knew Tweedy was going to make an apperance after the show I woulda stuck around with ya!

The only other Tweedy show Ive been to was in Madison last year at the Orpheum and the crowd was just sooo fuckin abnoxious. I am soo glad that I was able to sit down and enjoy Tweedy...hes quite the showman and his set was awesome. I must admit though, I much rather perfer walken with the band. Theres too many intricate instrumentals that cant be played by just an accoustic (but tweedy made the best of it, he even played a few bass lines)

overall: KICKASS SHOW!

I totally agree. When my wife came home I told her it feels like a Wilco night. With the nip in the air and leaves blwoing. The last three times he's been to the Folenger it's been like this. It was PERFECT. IT will be a night I will not forget. So intimate and beautiful. I thought Autumn Defense set the tone and the mood nicely. I also agree that the crowd was in awe. They were literally hanging on every line...No pun intended (radio King) :) Crappy thing is, it will probably be another 2 years or so before I see him again. :(

Well, the two hours spent just trying to get the fuck out of Chicago last night ended up being well worth it (though probably the most frustrating experience of my entire life..it took us 2 hours to go 30 miles through the city, and about an hour and a half to go the 130 miles we had left to Champaign...I'm pretty sure I didn't go under 100 until we reached U of I. can't believe we made it without a ticket...) We got there about 10 minutes before jeff went on, which meant missing Autumn Defense which sucked..I was hoping to hear more of the new stuff they've been working on (speaking of..anyone have a setlist for John and Pat's set?)

the show was fantastic. the crowd...could have used some work. the silence was of course a good thing, but at some points a bit too quiet..definitely could have used more singalong throughout the night. but other than that, jeff sounded great. the new songs were excellent. was a bit disappointed by the length of the set (did it seem short to anyone else? maybe it just felt that way...i guess he did play for about 2 hours..) and also that john and pat didnt join in for a song or two at the end of the night. all in all, though, it was a fabulous show. and it was great to meet up with VCers, as usual! :wave

im excited for monday, should be another good show.

did anyone else see borat there? good god...i think i'm blind. he was wearing that green slingshot thing and a suit jacket. when he turned around, there was nothing there but butt...

he made some comment to jeff from the audience, and jeff said something, calling him sasha. good catch, jeff!

... but i hear we are next to each other at the aud!

sorry, hon - you're stuck with me and Ms Yvon! :D And Chandler I think, too. Although I think several of us will be playing musical chairs throughout the evening. :dancing

did anyone else see borat there? good god...i think i'm blind. he was wearing that green slingshot thing and a suit jacket. when he turned around, there was nothing there but butt...

he made some comment to jeff from the audience, and jeff said something, calling him sasha. good catch, jeff!

i pray to god you're serious. i thought it was great to see him with fericito in the movie, but god to see jeff and borat together would be mind blowing.

it was "borat", not borat. it was a college campus and halloween time so there were many costumes.

sorry...i figured everyone would think i was talking about an imposter. thanks for clearing it up, though, alison.

this was my first tweedy or wilco show, except for one song at conan obrien, and jeff definitely did not disappoint....i cant wait for the show at auditorium, i will have to say i wish he had played late greats or jesus, etc but all in all it was a pretty good set list. the highlight for me was The Ruling Class...i have that song on tape when jeff messes up twice and everyone laughs...i cant get enough of that catchy whistling tune....also bob dylans beard was a great one....was kind of surprised no songs from mermaid were played not even california stars or airline but i guess i cant complain....jeff definitely is a great musician and im glad i finally saw him for the first of many more shows to come.

Wow, what a great show. I've been a fan of Wilco for a few years now and it's pretty much all I listen to (I don't listen to music very often since I am usually playing it). I took a friend of mine with and, though she was new to Wilco, she really enjoyed it. Sunken Treasures 'I AM SO OUT OF TUNE' almost made her cry--it definitely took my breath away to say the least (I went home and learned it as soon as I could)

The crowd was okay--a few idiots, some funny dialog with Jeff

(Fan calls out song title)

JT: 'Is that the name of one of my songs because honestly I forget them all the time'

Fan: 'It's on the DVD'

JT: 'Oh.'

I found this show and bought tickets off another member of VC forums just before it started which was totally great--tenth row (J, section 3). Autumn Defense was pretty decent--their songwriting could use some help but they are both very talented--great harmonies.

I am definitely, DEFINITELY, going again as soon as I get money. By far one of the best experiences of my life hands down. He is an amazingly talented man and as a songwriter myself I've got to say I could not even dream of being that talented--You can tell how quick he is with interesting words, like when he said 'a fragile mob'. You could throw it in a song and it would be a good lyric.

As to the mysterious new song: the main jyst of it was 'You should be glad you got out alive', or something to the likeness of that.

Frankly I'm not too turned on by his new songs--Is That The Thanks I Get is catchy but... it doesn't have that same intimate quality and character that Sunken Treasure has.

All in all a great show that I would love to re-live. PRAYING that someone recorded it!

Wow, what a great show. I've been a fan of Wilco for a few years now and it's pretty much all I listen to (I don't listen to music very often since I am usually playing it). I took a friend of mine with and, though she was new to Wilco, she really enjoyed it. Sunken Treasures 'I AM SO OUT OF TUNE' almost made her cry--it definitely took my breath away to say the least (I went home and learned it as soon as I could)

The crowd was okay--a few idiots, some funny dialog with Jeff

(Fan calls out song title)

JT: 'Is that the name of one of my songs because honestly I forget them all the time'

Fan: 'It's on the DVD'

JT: 'Oh.'

I found this show and bought tickets off another member of VC forums just before it started which was totally great--tenth row (J, section 3). Autumn Defense was pretty decent--their songwriting could use some help but they are both very talented--great harmonies.

I am definitely, DEFINITELY, going again as soon as I get money. By far one of the best experiences of my life hands down. He is an amazingly talented man and as a songwriter myself I've got to say I could not even dream of being that talented--You can tell how quick he is with interesting words, like when he said 'a fragile mob'. You could throw it in a song and it would be a good lyric.

As to the mysterious new song: the main jyst of it was 'You should be glad you got out alive', or something to the likeness of that.

Frankly I'm not too turned on by his new songs--Is That The Thanks I Get is catchy but... it doesn't have that same intimate quality and character that Sunken Treasure has.

All in all a great show that I would love to re-live. PRAYING that someone recorded it!

Nice summary. So far, I aree with about everything folks have said relating to the show. That part in Sunken Treasure is so intense. It absolutly took my breath away. Still can't believe he played Radio King. Anyone know if he plays that often? I still think he played it for me. :) I too want to know if someone recorded it. I would gladly, well you know...for a copy.