Comic Book Movie Adaptations

I know there was a Spiderman 3 thread that kicked off a longer discussion on movies based on comic books, but i'm opening anoither one of by kicking out some random things and see if anybody has any updates of their own or toher comic book movie stuff to contribute:

* Read somewhere that not only are the villains in Spidey 3: Spawn, Sandman and the Hobgoblin, but they've thrown The Lizard and Mysterio (played by Bruce Campbell!). Although, those two may be brief for a set-up for a Spidey 4.

Lizard.jpgMysterio2.jpg

* They are doing kind of a 'do-over' on the Hulk, this time done by Marvel films and the bad guy is going to be the Abomination!

Abomination.jpg

* There is film version of Iron Man under development being directed by John Favreau, starring Robery Downey Jr. as Tony Stark and the bad guy will be The Mandarin

mandarin003.JPG

I know that's all Marvel, but Tully is more of the DC guy...not me.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to rub salt into the wound, the new F4 movie will feature the Silver Surfer. Why couldn't they give Norrin Radd his own movie the bastards!

180px-Surfertoon.jpg

I would love to see a Green Lantern movie. The best superhero from DC ever!

Green%20Lantern.jpg

well the hughes brothers (what jokes) screwed the pooch on "From Hell" one of the best graphic novel series (IMO) but I still think it can be done correctly on HBO or something. One of my dream projects. Alan Moore period. I know he hates film verisons or tv verisons of his creations, but he's cinematic as all get back and I love hiim. I enjoyed "V 4 Ven" but still wanted more, it was good. Batman seems to be on the right path, The Killing Joke would still make a wicked short. blah blah blah. I hope only 1 more spidey then no mas. We damn sure dont need another attempt at the F4, which was garbage, i mean that literally, x-men I hope are done.

I mean some of these would be better as t.v. show and then the could really flesh out the story lines.

whatever.

!!!!! YAY! anyone seen doubter?

I mean some of these would be better as t.v. show and then the could really flesh out the story lines.

Looks like they are doing that w/ some of the more cult Marvel comics...

Man Thing (one of my favorites as a kid) went straight the the Sci-Fi channel last year.

man_thing.jpg

and I guess they have a series for Moon Knight under development as well...

moonknight.jpg

ahhh, tualla...even her tastes in comics are indie cool. sorry, graphic novels. :monkey

hhh, tualla...even her tastes in comics are indie cool. sorry, graphic novels. :monkey

Kev, watchmen was a comic, no more no less.

I remember the time periods between the issues kept getting longer and longer in 1988/89. It was really frustrating.

Um - also is the name of the spidey villan really Spawn? Not that I'd really know, but isn't there a spidey-suit type villan and then the Todd Mcfarlane character 'Spawn' and they don't have anything to do with each other?

also, this is from the wall of a family friend's house:

Matt_Original_Art.jpg

Note V for Vendetta/Watchmen/From Hell/Concrete/Miracleman/planetary original art on wall.

This isn't a comic book, but a character from a number of books. They should remake Dr Syn Alias The Scarecrow, as long as they make it on the coast of England somewhere (not ruin it like The Wicker Man). They should also release the disney version on dvd because it was a great film (well tv show type-film, which they then marketed as a film). Is he a character in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, though? There was a pic of him in the film, but I know nothing of the comic/graphic novel/whatever it was.

drsyn.jpg

Kev, watchmen was a comic, no more no less.

Um - also is the name of the spidey villan really Spawn? Not that I'd really know, but isn't there a spidey-suit type villan and then the Todd Mcfarlane character 'Spawn' and they don't have anything to do with each other?

i know, i just like to get you to acknowledge me. :wub

doh! VENOM...not Spawn. I actually watched that awful Spawn movie on TV last weekend and still had it on the brain. Soory.

Even though my wife told me it was totally inappropriate for 4 year olds, I bought my 4 year old the first season of Justice League Unlimited on DVD. It turned out to be totally inappropriate for a 4 year old, but I love it.

And I second the props for Green Lantern. I'm also a big fan of Martian Manhunter.

Iceman deserves his own 105 minute extravaganza.

Iceman.jpg

His appearance on Family Guy was great, too.

Iceman made a brief appearance in Family Guy. He appears in the episode' date=' "Hell Comes to Quahog". In the episode Iceman's wife is questioning where he was yesterday night. Iceman states that he was out with the guys, but his wife points out the ice slide leading from the window to the gay club across the street. His wife gets upset, and Iceman tells his wife,"At least they know how to touch a man!"[/quote']

Joss Whedon (the genius behind Buffy, Angel, and Firefly (as well as some really good X-men comics)) has turned in his script for Wonderwoman. I have complete faith that the writing will be awesome, so I'm excited for that.

Also

The 300 looks badass, based on Frank Miller's comic/graphic novel.

There does look to be some good comic adaptations coming out in the future... As long as they go the Spidey / Batman Begins route then they're going to be Ace. The teaser trailer for Spidey 3 looks brilliant...

Agree with The 300... they're having some problems with violence in that though apparently and going to have to tone it down!

Even though my wife told me it was totally inappropriate for 4 year olds, I bought my 4 year old the first season of Justice League Unlimited on DVD. It turned out to be totally inappropriate for a 4 year old, but I love it.

And I second the props for Green Lantern. I'm also a big fan of Martian Manhunter.

yes and yes

Two things: First, I hated the Preacher adaptation. What a waste.

what? when was this made?

and to totally nitpick, while DC published the Watchmen, they are not DC Superheroes. they are not part of the DCU canon, in any continuity. so I'd like to 2nd Calexico's opinion about Green Lantern.

Hellblazer...Hellblazer, sorry. I was thinking of Ellis and Dillon and got confused.

oh, ok! I was worried there for a minute. yeah, Hellblazer was terrible. they could've done some amazing stuff with the character, and they just blew it.

I read that IRONMAN ! my fav will become a movie

I'm hoping they follow the whole "Tony Stark: Alcoholic" story arc. that was good stuff. I know Downey Jr is playing Stark/Ironman, have they mentioned any other cast members? I'm wondering who they'll get to play Jim Rhodes.

what? when was this made?

and to totally nitpick, while DC published the Watchmen, they are not DC Superheroes. they are not part of the DCU canon, in any continuity. so I'd like to 2nd Calexico's opinion about Green Lantern.

Nitpick part deux: Weren't all the Charlton Characters integrated into the DC universe - The Question, Blue Beetle, Dr Atom etc ?

Watchmen was really about all of them, so, by a Comic Book Guy leap of logic, The Question/Rorshack is a DC character. Besides, last time I looked that DC shield was on the Watchmen covers.

6-1.jpg

Nitpick part deux: Weren't all the Charlton Characters integrated into the DC universe - The Question, Blue Beetle, Dr Atom etc ?

Watchmen was really about all of them, so, by a Comic Book Guy leap of logic, The Question/Rorshack is a DC character. Besides, last time I looked that DC shield was on the Watchmen covers.

yes, this is true. Moore wanted to use the Charlton characters, but DC nixed the idea (they wanted to use them themselves, so they could fuck them up 20 years later)

and yes, the DC sheild (actually it's called the DC Bullet) is on the Watchmen books, but their story takes place outside of the DC Universe, it's not even part of any multiple earths that DC used to use. therefore, they are not DC Suprheroes, regardless of what logo they have on their books or what characters they were based on.