Comic Book Movie Adaptations

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really good news and hope it starts a trend of good comic based TV series. Ie, I would love some Brit adaptation of Miracleman.

maybe this deal will get the book un-canceled.

Miracleman would awesome. HBO is supposedly working with Garth Ennis, on a Preacher series.

Fear not: Hellboy II is awesome. It's one of the most visually imaginative and captivating movies I've ever seen. Ranks somewhere between Iron Man and Hulk for me this year.

Is this the year of the comic book adaptation? The studios are 3-3 so far on them and it looks like Batman's gonna be better than them all. They are finally doing these things right.

Fear not: Hellboy II is awesome. It's one of the most visually imaginative and captivating movies I've ever seen. Ranks somewhere between Iron Man and Hulk for me this year.

Is this the year of the comic book adaptation? The studios are 3-3 so far on them and it looks like Batman's gonna be better than them all. They are finally doing these things right.

Great news

Guest Cousin Tupelo

I'm not an avid comic book fan, but I caught the first Hellboy on OnDemand when I was home sick one afternoon and I thought it was just incredible -- character, story line, humor effects. I've been eager to see this one since I first heard about it. Hellboy, even for a major release, is like a well-kept secret.

maybe this deal will get the book un-canceled.

Miracleman would awesome. HBO is supposedly working with Garth Ennis, on a Preacher series.

You hear anything about an adaptation of Y - The Last Man?

Have not read it yet, but my Ertigan-swampy buying employee is swearing by it and mentions that there is some script around.

You hear anything about an adaptation of Y - The Last Man?

Have not read it yet, but my Ertigan-swampy buying employee is swearing by it and mentions that there is some script around.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796905...yid=13&cs=1

http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2008/01...h-y-t.html#more

The film rights to the series have been acquired by New Line Cinema, and as of July 24, 2007 screenwriter Carl Ellsworth and director D. J. Caruso, the team behind Disturbia, are attached to the project with David S. Goyer as a producer

Caruso intends on finishing the script in the summer and filming during the fall of 2008. The script will be a rewrite of the original draft written by Vaughn himself

Caruso claims that the source material was too much to be told in one movie and they decided to concentrate on the best first movie they can, which would end somewhere around issue 14 of the comic series. The entire comic series as a whole would be plotted into three movies. Rumors have been circulating that actor Shia LaBeouf will play the role of Yorick. Caruso and Labeouf have worked together in both the films Disturbia and Eagle Eye. Caruso plans to use a real monkey, and not a CGI construct, to play Ampersand.

this is good news:

Warner, DC meet to plan movie strategy Author Kevin Melrose

Often criticized for its handling of its comic-book properties, Warner Bros. is holding high-level talks with DC Comics to develop a film strategy for its superheroes.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov and Warner Bros. Pictures president Kevin McCormick have met with DC executives and top creators over the past couple of weeks to hammer out a new direction for the big-screen adaptations:

Up until now, the comic properties had been undergoing a hodge-podge development process. With the recent success of Marvel Studios

visually imaginative for sure, but i left pretty dissapointed in the film as a whole or, maybe, caught off guard. i can't decide if i didn't like it or not...sure didn't love it and consider it nowhere near on par w/ iron man and even the hulk.

the first was a far superior representation of everything i dig about the comic...darker w/ a touch of humor. this tried too hard to be too funny too many times. while not nearly as bad, i had the same feeling in spots as i did during spiderman 3...slightly insulted by the level of goofiness (and i love goofiness). to be fair, there are a few touching moments that were well done and some of action sequences were a blast.

now knowing what to expect, i'm hoping that i enjoy better second time around on DVD in a 'big trouble in little china' sort of way.

visually imaginative for sure, but i left pretty dissapointed in the film as a whole or, maybe, caught off guard. i can't decide if i didn't like it or not...sure didn't love it and consider it nowhere near on par w/ iron man and even the hulk.

the first was a far superior representation of everything i dig about the comic...darker w/ a touch of humor. this tried too hard to be too funny too many times. while not nearly as bad, i had the same feeling in spots as i did during spiderman 3...slightly insulted by the level of goofiness (and i love goofiness). to be fair, there are a few touching moments that were well done and some of action sequences were a blast.

now knowing what to expect, i'm hoping that i enjoy better second time around on DVD in a 'big trouble in little china' sort of way.

I mean, I never saw the first, and never read the comic, so I didn't have to expect anything except what it turned out being:

A crazy action movie with some absolutely amazing visual effects and character designs and some touches of goofy humor.

I mean, I never saw the first, and never read the comic, so I didn't have to expect anything except what it turned out being: A crazy action movie with some absolutely amazing visual effects and character designs and some touches of goofy humor.

oh man, you should at least check out the first flick...i think you'll see what i'm saying. that said, w/out that frame of reference, i think your assesment was probably dead on. don't get me wrong, i still had fun going to see it...i was just so blown away by the first one, it set the bar pretty high for me.

I've been meaning to check it out, but I'm lazy, and I feel it wouldn't be fully appreciated with commercials on FX.

yeah, grab the DVD if you ever get the chance. totally worth it. i know you aren't a big comic book guy that i'm aware of, but i also reccomend peeping the comic next time you are at a bookstore. very, very cool stuff.

yeah, grab the DVD if you ever get the chance. totally worth it. i know you aren't a big comic book guy that i'm aware of, but i also reccomend peeping the comic next time you are at a bookstore. very, very cool stuff.

I've gotten a little into comic books, but it's difficult to keep up with. I've checked out some of the Civil War series, and that was pretty cool, but not much more than that recently.

Is it on Blu-ray? One of my roommates next year has a PS3, so I might be willing to buy it on that if it's worth it.

I've gotten a little into comic books, but it's difficult to keep up with. I've checked out some of the Civil War series, and that was pretty cool, but not much more than that recently.

Is it on Blu-ray? One of my roommates next year has a PS3, so I might be willing to buy it on that if it's worth it.

i'm sure it's avail on blu-ray, maybe. dude, i get the trade paperbacks that collect a slew of issues versus trying to go comic by comic. i don't have the time, nor money. definitely flip through one of the hellboy TPB's next time you are in borders or barnes & noble.

i'm sure it's avail on blu-ray, maybe. dude, i get the trade paperbacks that collect a slew of issues versus trying to go comic by comic. i don't have the time, nor money. definitely flip through one of the hellboy TPB's next time you are in borders or barnes & noble.

I'll check it out.

dude, i get the trade paperbacks that collect a slew of issues versus trying to go comic by comic. i don't have the time, nor money. definitely flip through one of the hellboy TPB's next time you are in borders or barnes & noble.

I started getting trades at the public library, it's saved me a ton of money. :thumbup

More Watchmen news, I don't think this has been posted but this is the film's picture of the Minutemen picture. Certainly looks from this, and other stills I've seen, that they've got the design details off to a tee. Will have to see if the story can make a problem-free transition.

mmpic.jpg