Comic Book Movie Adaptations

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why?! i think it looks like a blast. granted, it's one of those i'm setting aside any expectation it's true to form w/ the comic, but i still think it looks slick.

Miller should have just made Sin City 2. There's no need to attach Will Eisner's name to a story that is nothing like something he would have done.

Miller should have just made Sin City 2. There's no need to attach Will Eisner's name to a story that is nothing like something he would have done.

i hear you. maybe i'm still only so purist w/ certain charachters/comics and can detach the two. eh, looks like it'll beat going to see the day the earth stood still.

one of my biggest gripes with the movie, is Miller's handling of the Octopus. The character has been around since 1946, and not once have we seen his face, he rarely comes forth from the shadows. Miller has destroyed his mystique, by having him act like a totally over the top goofball, just so he could cast a yelling Sam Jackson in his film.

one of my biggest gripes with the movie, is Miller's handling of the Octopus. The character has been around since 1946, and not once have we seen his face, he rarely comes forth from the shadows. Miller has destroyed his mystique, by having him act like a totally over the top goofball, just so he could cast a yelling Sam Jackson in his film.

'IT'LL GET YA' DRUNK!'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Film Review: Watchmen

Bottom Line: Ouch.

It's not easy being a comic book hero these days. The poor boys have taken their lumps in "Hancock," "The Dark Knight" and even "Iron Man." Self-doubt, angst and inadequacies plague them. And now comes "Watchmen." Its costumed superheroes, operating in an alternative 1985, are seriously screwed up -- and so is their movie. If anyone were able to make a nine-figure movie, something like "Watchmen" would have been the opening-night film at the Sundance Film Festival.

I'm not into comics at all and rarely like comic book movies much (Dark Knight and Iron Man were two of the best, but barely get "B" ratings from me), yet I have a strange desire to see Watchmen. So the question for you Watchmen fans is: should I go in totally cold or should I read the book first?

I'm not into comics at all and rarely like comic book movies much (Dark Knight and Iron Man were two of the best, but barely get "B" ratings from me), yet I have a strange desire to see Watchmen. So the question for you Watchmen fans is: should I go in totally cold or should I read the book first?

I tried reading the book last fall, but I hated the artwork so much that I quit early on...

I read somewhere yesterday that Samuel L. Jackson and Marvel have come to terms for him to play Nick Fury for his entire life. Still not psyched about Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2.

That's a dilemma. The movie might be incomprehensible unless you read the book, but the movie may well be so awful that reading the book, which is maybe the best comic ever, will make you really mad at the movie.

That's a dilemma. The movie might be incomprehensible unless you read the book, but the movie may well be so awful that reading the book, which is maybe the best comic ever, will make you really mad at the movie.

it's an amazing comic, but the best ever, c'mon. it's not even the best thing Moore's written.

i would read the comic before seeing the movie. i hear the movie has a different ending or something. Watchmen was an excellent read but i think it gets a little over-hyped at times. honestly, i'm enjoying the 52 storyline a centimeter more than i did Watchmen. :mellow

i would read the comic before seeing the movie. i hear the movie has a different ending or something. Watchmen was an excellent read but i think it gets a little over-hyped at times. honestly, i'm enjoying the 52 storyline a centimeter more than i did Watchmen. :mellow

Just saw the movie and I have to agree with this: you gotta read the GN first.

I really, really enjoyed the movie. But I heard some skinny-jeaned teenage girl say to her friend while walking out at the end "did you get it?" It might be touhg to appreciate without having a firm grasp of character/story, etc.

But for those nerds who have read it, it was awesome. Brilliant.

i haoping i have enough of a peripheral on the book w/out actually reading it. again, i've never seen a movie after reading the book it's based upon that i like. never. i'd kind of like to at least halfway enjoy the film and then read the real deal...it's been on my shelf, calling to me, for almost a year.

There is the funniest review of the Watchmen movie in the New Yorker this week. I still want to see this thing though....despite not being in the demographic...

LouieB

I always love it when some asshole reviewer gives away key plot points...do not read this review if you haven't read the GN and want to see the movie.

I enjoyed Watchmen. It was really long, but I actually didn't notice it so much. In most respects, very true to the comic. I liked it much more than 300. Good work Zack Snyder.